Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk's 100th Case (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 102
    Please post all general and specific discussion of the 9/5/08 episode "Mr. Monk's 100th Case" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kravitzfan12

[2]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 34

Here's a pretty good article I found about Monk, its beginnings and its future. It has a little to do with the episode, but it is called the "'Monk' 100th episode". Here's the link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i66bd53726b7c8c352174b8d8b61da4f5

tjoceasde

[3]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 18

9:45PM. I just solved the case.

Hint: who turned on the lamp in the 4th victim's apartment?

JengoFett6

[4]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    Aside from the obvious fact that Monk has solved more than 100 cases, I was absolutely horrified that the writers actually wanted us to believe that Monk would want to retire after 100 cases just to keep it a well rounded number when he still has yet to solve the biggest case of all. TRUDY'S!!!

tjoceasde

[5]Sep 5, 2008

JengoFett6 wrote:
    Aside from the obvious fact that Monk has solved more than 100 cases, I was absolutely horrified that the writers actually wanted us to believe that Monk would want to retire after 100 cases just to keep it a well rounded number when he still has yet to solve the biggest case of all. TRUDY'S!!!

It's possible that the 100 official cases only refer to homicides that he's solved on behalf of the San Francisco police since he was fired. Cases that would not fit this description and that have been seen on the series include Randy's uncle, Jack Monk's boss, the environmental activist who was dumped out of the back of a dump truck onto a busy road, the girl who worked for Trudy's father, the murder that took place in Paris and Monk solved by reading a newspaper, and the time that a gang of hotel maids killed another maid to cover up their identity theft ring. I'm sorry that I don't have episode names, but it would take a long time to look up each one.

garfield2710

[6]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 25
    I'm still a little confused. Why did that man kill the first 3 women? Was he just deranged or something?

horvathgamer

[7]Sep 5, 2008
    I thought this episode was pretty disappointing. First off, they didn't keep it true to the show. Only 100 cases, come on, first off remember the basketball, episodes over 100 cases right there. Also, why the heck would marcy still be a monk fan. that made no sense whatsoever. Finally, I think the show is becoming to predictable. Normally, it's pretty hard to figure out the crime until the big reveal. This marks the third time this season it was pretty obvious (monk takes a punch), monk falls in love, and now this. anyways i check out the link if the show ends this season or next season, they better have the finale do the show justice. you know what i mean, an actual good conclusion to the show. no more plot holes. and maybe natalie and monk getting together.

DresserBoys

[8]Sep 6, 2008

This episode was extremely weird. It had a lot of funny moment in it. Randy was definitely the best in the episode.

The weirdest thing I get at the end of the episodes is they Murders kill the victims just cause they can. Just feels weird.

pgsuperfan

[9]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 25
    CONGRATS TO MONK'S 100th Case

E_Queen

[10]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 10

I liked the episode...although I do understand where some are coming from with their post.

Anyway, I knew who was going to end up getting arrested in the first 10 mins lol. I knew he would be tied into it some way.

Also, I thought the basketball episode did say he solved 100 or close to 100 there...IDK.

Anyway, was still a funny ep....I do wish they would have shown the astronaut in jail (shout out to Burn Notice). BTW does anyone remember what episode the woman was from? Thanks...

chipee

[12]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 13
    garfield2710 wrote:
    I'm still a little confused. Why did that man kill the first 3 women? Was he just deranged or something?

The photographer-killer of the first three women was a sicko insane serial killer of women (who posed for him). The In Focus documentary host took advantage of the case to kill his mistress and pin the murder on the serial killer.

Lord__Seth

[13]Sep 6, 2008

My favorite part was when they were interviewing the people that Monk got arrested. That part was hilarious. Other than that, though, it wasn't anything special; it was just as good as most of the other episodes, but no better.

But they did kind of make the ending predictable. That line where someone says that Monk didn't feel right about the case made it way too obvious what was going to happen; they should have just cut that line out and have the ending be more of a surprise. There's foreshadowing, and then there's just giving it away.

jwgrlrrajn

[14]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 23

I just wish they wouldn't make Monk act like such a nerd. (I mean, "Picture go normal," come on!)

The other thing is the incontinuity, do the writers not watch their own show? (100 cases, when he had more than that in "Big Game")

Also, why would Monk want a VHS? His brother made him a DVD of their home movies in "On the Air." So I can understand him not knowing about DVRs, but to have Monk ask for a VHS is an insult to his intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the show, but they can really push it sometimes.

chipee

[15]Sep 7, 2008
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

I just wish they wouldn't make Monk act like such a nerd. (I mean, "Picture go normal," come on!)

The other thing is the incontinuity, do the writers not watch their own show? (100 cases, when he had more than that in "Big Game")

... .....

(1 ) I agree that lately they make Monk into too much of a jerk, caricature, slapstick routine.

(2 ) Everyone talks about miscounting the number of episodes. In the documentary they clearly said the 100 (which is approximate somewhat) referred to his consulting cases since Trudy died. It didn't include the cases he was on as a police officer. You have to assume that in the Big Game episode, Julie was referring to all his cases including the police dept (non-consulting) cases. Not a biggie anyway.

[Edit: I double checked my video tape of the episode. Here is what Novak (the documentary narrator host) said in the very beginning of the episode: He starts by saying that since Monk was forced to resign from the police department, he has solved an astonishing 99 cases as a private consultant. Then he continues that tonight he is working on his 100th case for the San Francisco Police Dept."

So when you count the 100 cases (good luck [smile]), the key criteria to remember are:
    ¶ only consultant cases (after Trudy died).
    ¶ only those cases he worked on for the San Francisco P.D.
    ¶ only cases he solved.]

Edited on 09/11/2008 11:43am
    Edited 2 total times.

meeper22

[16]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    i didn't really care that much for this episode. sharona wasn't in this episode and i thought there were some mistakes in this episode. Last time i checked, sarah silverman's character, marcy, was not obsessed with monk anymore at the end of the episode where her dog was accused of murder and now all of a sudden she's obsessed with monk again? i'm pretty sure he has solved more than 100 cases but may be they're not counting cases he solved when he was a police officer and when he was with sharona. they didn't even mention any cases he did with her. how does he not know the words pause and rewind? seriously? it's like every episode he's in he gets more and more unfamiliar with certain things. also, correct me if i am wrong, but when the other killer interviews the criminals monk caught, that spanish farmer talks about his deal with monk and yet didn't monk tell randy how he killed his uncle to make it look like randy solved the case? So wouldn't technically that farmer have a grudge against randy instead of monk and also would that not be one of the cases monk solved since to the other characters it looked like randy solved it? Also did i miss something or was captain stottlemayer's ex-girlfriend NOT in this episode because i do not recall seeing her in it. They said she'd be in it but i never saw her. can someone help me out with that. In my opinion, if they are going to end this show soon revealing who trudy's killer was, it should be someone that the audience is familiar with, not some new character we never heard of cause that is just going to be stupid.

chipee

[17]Sep 9, 2008
    You are correct that Sharon Lawrence was announced as being in the show, but she wasn't. Probably not enough time space for all their shooting, so left on the "cutting room floor." They should have explained why on the web site someplace, but what do they care about the fans?
    Edited on 09/09/2008 7:59pm

kathiheck

[18]Sep 10, 2008

Actually, in the episode where Julie and Natalie gave Mr. Monk a box of trophies because he had never gotton one before, they mentioned that he had solved 104 cases to date, but they rounded down to 100 to make it the round number he likes; therefore, if he had solved 104 back then, and then you add up all the shows that have aired since then, he's probably solved more like 125 cases so far, but they decided to call it his 100th case because it was the 100th episode. In either case, that makes Harold Krenshaw a big fat liar, because he claimed Monk only solved 99 cases, just cuz he's so competitive.

In the case of Trudy's murder, the show would have to take into account the clues they've already given us over the last 6 years: her killer was a hired mercenary who has 6 fingers on his hand and supposedly worked for Dale the Whale, who didn't want Trudy to write an expose about him. When we finally meet the guy, I think it would be a casting coup if they could get Christopher Guest.

Libaax

[19]Sep 11, 2008
    Yeah to me it was clear too that it was 100 cases since he started being constultant to SFPD.

I thought it was a real good ep. The serial killer wasnt predictable but the best thing was how corny the tv show about Monk was. The music and all the camera thing they did hehe.

The end was awesome too, Natalie telling Monk he had to go for 200 and the cases they read about in the paper LOL!

Also it was nice seeing a case where Randy didnt make me cringe. Nice seeing his GF get more airtime too.

philly_phenom

[20]Sep 12, 2008
    "Mr. Monk and the Big Game" established that Monk had solved 104 cases as of then. Natalie & Julie gave him 100 trophies (in spite of there being 104 cases) because it was a round number.

Now THIS is his 100th case? major continuity error here...