Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk's Favorite Show (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 8/7/09 episode "Mr. Monk's Favorite Show" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Aug 9, 2009
    • level: 32
    I was just in love with this whole episode. It was everything I'd really missed about "Monk," and the dream sequence had me rolling on the floor. I go into a little more detail in my podcast. Enjoy!

BTRAV

[3]Aug 9, 2009
    • level: 27
    It was pretty obvious to me who did it, but yeah, the dream sequence was awesome. "It's not just her. This whole family is wacko!" I especially liked the part where Billy Cooper says "What about me?" and Monk says "You got hooked on crystal meth. This was your last acting role." "Oh shucky darns." What a reaction to being told that. Also, recurring from the 100th episode, Monk still doesn't know the proper names of the remote buttons. The other part that had me laughing out loud was when Natalie ate page 73 and the two occasions it was mentioned that she ate it.

chipee

[4]Aug 9, 2009
    • level: 13

I thought it was a great episode, good season premiere. Loads better than last year's Buys a House.

I have just one qualm that I am getting tired of repeating -- Christine's motive for such a risky thing (murder) seemed very far-fetched or slim. If the story came out it could only help book sales. The rigging happened 35 years ago! There was no good evidence that she was involved. The guy would probably disappear if she refused to pay for blackmail. If not, he'd probably be laughed out of town by the media. She could always claim he did it on his own. Her acting career seemed over anyway. And for 35-years ago, it seems like a non-story or one day story.

And like with most of these stories, a friend of the murdered blckmiler could be left behind who is holding the evidence and the story, so a murder would solve nothing.

As others have pointed out, the book store facade at the end of the episode, when Monk returns the book, is very different from the one at the start of the episode when he buys the book. I wonder how that happened -- the director must have been aware of it.

Edited on 08/10/2009 11:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

haldrey

[5]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 22
    I watch a lot of TV and of all the shows Monk is right there at the top as one of my favorites, therefore after the long wait I loved this episode, no matter what or how many boo-boos it had.

pgsuperfan

[6]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 25
    MONK was good but I don't think this one will be one of the all time great episodes. I already knew about the car blowing up. Sam Reuben on the KTLA morning news showed that car being blown up on the back lot of the KTLA Studions in Hollywood several months ago

05BlackV605

[7]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    I've been a fan of Monk for quite awhile now and I have to say that although I still enjoy the new episodes they really need to get back down to earth and stop this goofball trip. I know Monk was never a "serious" show like most crime dramas but it's seems to be bordering ridiculous. It's the final season of the show. Why not go out on a really positive note?
    Edited on 08/10/2009 12:55pm

jwgrlrrajn

[8]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 23
    The episode could have been worse, but I can't stand Monk's terms for the remote functions. "Picture go normal"!? What the heck!? My 60 some odd year old grandfather knows what pause and play mean, why doesn't Monk? Also, why does Monk have such a nice TV if he "doesn't watch TV"?

I did love Monk's reactions to the book and the whole "Page 73" debacle. Also, who didn't love the whole "She brought happiness to so many people" line?

BTRAV

[9]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 27
    Maybe Trudy bought the TV and he didn't want to get rid of it?

jwgrlrrajn

[10]Aug 25, 2009
    • level: 23
    Did they have those kind of TVs when she was still alive? (what is that, 9-11 years ago?)