Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Disucssion Thread: Mr. Monk and the Three Julies (Possible Spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 100
    Please direct discussion of the 1/25/08 episode "Mr. Monk and the Three Julies" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ixmattxi

[2]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 4

This would've been another really good episode, were it not for the fact that it was one of those "Murdersurrounds (insert cast member here)" episodes. I hate the ones that revolve around Julie especially. Mostly because the writers have yet to find a good way to connect Julie toa murder. First theridiculous T-shirt(of all the people in San Fran, she is the one who takes a T-shirtpicturewith the killer on it?And now a killer who kills Julie Teegers? What are the odds that the killer just happens to have a wife and a neighbor who share the name with Monk's assisstant's daughter? Too much ridiculous coincidence. The good news is, it still wasn't a horrible episode outside of well...the main plot. :-/ It was kinda predictable (the second Stottlemyer promised to catch that guy's wife's killer...you knew he was the one who did it) but not bad. Also, Randy was actually written well tonight. He didn't come off as a bumbling idiot! He actually came off as someone who deserves to be a detective for one of the world's biggest police forces! He was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, just for that reason. Afterall, Randy hasn't been written well since Season 3. Plus, did anyone else sense some sparks during that scene with Natalie and Randy eating ice cream?

Also, I must admit. The final scene with Julie giving the Captain a ride was cute.

Edited on 01/25/2008 7:00pm

litegamer91

[3]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 2

ixmattxi wrote:
    It was kinda predictable (the second Stottlemyer promised to catch that guy's wife's killer...you knew he was the one who did it) but not bad.

Yeah, that was my main issue with it as well. I knew Monk was going to suspect the guy the second he showed up. The husband is the murderer about 80% of the time. Other than that, well-written from a humor standpoint, and there was some palpable drama. Not bad at all.

prg2

[4]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 8

Another success for Monk! I thought this was great! I especially enjoyed the whole bit with Natalie driving Stottlemeyer's car...especially the part where she drives through the creek. "But there's no bridge." "I know."

I also really enjoyed the storyline...I thought it was a serial killer type of thing, but they caught me off guard by the solution. Another great episode in a line of great episodes!

UltimatePyro9

[5]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 36
    The episode was great. Nice to see Disher acting a bit competent. Even though his theory was off, it was plausible enough to follow.

Natalie acted kinda irresposible in the middle when the possible suspect was apprehended. When Julie was begging her mom to take the driver's test, she told Monk, of all people, to give her the OK. Why? He admittedly has many problems and for her to shove that at him was a bad parenting choice. Wouldn't Stottlemeyer be a better choice?

ebbydmp

[6]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    I HATED this episode! It is terrible! It was going fine until Natalie, who I already hate, decides to start wrecking people's property under the guise that she was so worried for her daughter she had break laws. It made me mad that the captain wasn't mad at her! Then the when she was trying to pawn off her problem with Julie wanting to take her driving test on Adrian was ridiculous! What parent with half a brain leaves a parenting decision to a man with as many problems as he has! Just talking about this is making me even more mad. I'm done.

prg2

[7]Jan 26, 2008
    See, I completely bought that. And why? Because Monk is the expert on when a case is solved. If Monk says the case is over and the killer has been caught, then he is right 99.9% of the time (but don't tell him that, because he'll freak out that it's not an even number).

dman_dustin

[8]Jan 26, 2008

I liked this but I could tell, this one dropped in quality since the other episodes, not because of anything in the showbut I could instantly tell some viewers wouldn't like this one, just call it a hunch.

Now when characters in-show state the unlikelyhood that a victim could have the same name as someone else, I think it redeems any red flags.

And just to clarify things, as Monk pointed out "Julie Teeger A's mail got mixed with Julie Teeger's B mail and vice versa" That's why they were friends, they (according to what I gathered) never met before their mail mixed up.

And don't you think if someone had the same nameas you, you wouldn't be friends with them, just for laughs, and even then, they were more neighborly than actual friends, I found that part plausible.

In fact how many John Smith's are there, I bet there are quite a few out there, put 3 in the same town, and you'll probably have some fun.

And it also redeems the show further when in fact Natalie's daughter was the last Julie Teeger in the state.

Edit: And natalie making Monk the choice for the decision was partly smart on Natalie, too bad it didn't work. If you remember from the begining Monk said it wouldn't be hard to say No to a teenager, I think that's why Natalie chose Monk. I guess it failed because Monk was wrong.

Edited on 01/26/2008 7:32am

casualviewer

[9]Jan 26, 2008

dman_dustin wrote:
    And natalie making Monk the choice for the decision was partly smart on Natalie, too bad it didn't work. If you remember from the begining Monk said it wouldn't be hard to say No to a teenager, I think that's why Natalie chose Monk. I guess it failed because Monk was wrong.
    I didn't see Natalie asking him to make a decision so much in a "fatherly" capacity as much as it was in a "law enforcement" capacity - is that "the guy" and is it safe for Julie to take her test. Plus, Natalie knows Monk has a difficult time making decisions/choices and he would probably delay the inevitable by standing there forever with Julie trying to decide.

slim324k

[10]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    Loved this episode! I liked seeing them involve Julie some more and giving us a look again at how things can play close to home. Also I love the play on the whole Psycho scenario...loved the movie so any play on it and I'm game. Only down side I saw (and agree with others on) was the fact you knew the husband was the guy from the jump.

neokid0298

[11]Jan 26, 2008
    It was a good episode.

As soon as I saw the husband, I was like "Yep, he's the killer"

kravitzfan12

[12]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 34

For the third week in a row, Monk is as strong as ever. I personally loved this episode. I thought the mystery / detective work was spot on. I thought the humor was perfect and undertoned. Awesome writing for this show again.

I thought the taxidermy motif was really great. Monk showed some great intrigue in the bedroom scene with the stuffed woman. Randy pretending to be the mom was also very good. He finally did some solid detective work and was an attribute to solving the case.

One of the funniest lines was in Monk's session. Monk says "At least I never dug Trudy up and had her stuffed and mounted." And Doctor Kreuger says "yes, I've always been proud of you for that".

Great episode. Hopefully they'll finish out the season as strong as they started it!

pgsuperfan

[13]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 25
    slim324k wrote:
    Loved this episode! I liked seeing them involve Julie some more and giving us a look again at how things can play close to home. Also I love the play on the whole Psycho scenario...loved the movie so any play on it and I'm game. Only down side I saw (and agree with others on) was the fact you knew the husband was the guy from the jump.

Loved it too, liked the scenes where Natalie wrecked the Captains new car great

E_Queen

[14]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 10
    I thought it was an o.k episode. I knew it was the husband too lol. I like any Monk but the "Julie Teager" bit was annoying me. And the car scene why was the CPT driving his own car. Went from him not driving any car in last weeks episode to driving his personal car. Does the department not offer work cars anymore. lol. Didn't hate the episode but will not be listed as one of my favorites. Another nit pick though (cause I DVR it) lol. When Adrian is talking to the Dr.the cup goes from in his hand to on the arm of the chair.

BTRAV

[15]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 27

Julie's driving instructor seemed like a real ass. He didn't seem to care that she might be in trouble.

Natalie: She passed!

Monk: Natalie, how will this affect me sitting in the front seat?

Randy: Congratulations.

Stottlemeyer: Sorry Natalie.

Edited on 01/27/2008 12:28pm

CSI_forever

[16]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    BTRAV wrote:

Thanks, for the quote. I couldn't quite hear what he said. I only got something about the front seat.

This was a funny episode.

The part when the Capt. says there is no bridge and Nat says I know--priceless.

When Monk was with the Doctor--Dr. being proud of Monk not having Trudy stuffed, the Dr. is in his PJs, the Dr. agreeing that his wife has Turret's.

MonicaKeller

[17]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    ixmattxi wrote:

Also, Randy was actually written well tonight. He didn't come off as a bumbling idiot! He actually came off as someone who deserves to be a detective for one of the world's biggest police forces! He was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, just for that reason. Afterall, Randy hasn't been written well since Season 3. Plus, did anyone else sense some sparks during that scene with Natalie and Randy eating ice cream?

Also, I must admit. The final scene with Julie giving the Captain a ride was cute.

I agree. I loved the Disher/NAtalie part. I am one of the many that would love to see them get together.

I liked the episode for what it was. I agree that Randy came off looking better in this episode.

CoolUserName

[18]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 7

I thought this episode was hilarious. The humor wasn't even over-the-top, but that's why it worked; it just flowed naturally from who the characters were.

My favorite parts:

"Disher: Alright, I have two ideas for you.

Stottlemeyer: Two ideas?

Disher: Which one do you want?

Stottlemeyer: Whichever one will piss me off less?"

Also, Kroger saying his wife had Tourettes, and Disher interacting with Matt Teeger. "I wish there were ten of them!!!"

Any other funny parts I'm forgetting? I'm sure there are quite a few.

E_Queen

[19]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    CSI_forever wrote:
    BTRAV wrote:

Thanks, for the quote. I couldn't quite hear what he said. I only got something about the front seat.

This was a funny episode.

The part when the Capt. says there is no bridge and Nat says I know--priceless.

When Monk was with the Doctor--Dr. being proud of Monk not having Trudy stuffed, the Dr. is in his PJs, the Dr. agreeing that his wife has Turret's.

Yeah all those parts were too funny. There is no bridge...lol

Kolic84

[20]Jan 28, 2008

I agree, Disher gets annoying when he's the obvious comic foil. I'd like to see him be spot on for a case or two, maybe even show Monk up for a change of pace.

A small nitpick on my part: shouldn't the title be Mr. Monk and the *Four* Julies? There was the murderer's wife, the college student, Matt's mother, and Natalie's daughter. I realize it's an allusion to Mr. Monk and the Three Pies, but if we want to be technical (and I know Monk would be ;-)), there were four.