Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Sharona vs Natalie

dancer56

[101]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 4
    definetly NATALIE! she seems to actually like monk... i don't think sharona ever really did as much
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dzyres

[102]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 7
    I loved Sharona, but I just recenty re-watched all of the MONK episodes online and I have to say that I really prefer Natalie now. She is far more classier and mature than Sharona. Sharona's attire alone was borderline skankish Jersey girl. Natalie is sincere and is able to put Monk in his place or ignore his madness without being offenssive. She just seems nicer and more refined. She used to bore me, but she is progressing.

kishina

[103]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    I like them both but what bothers me is the poor in show explanation as why Sharona left.

lilypad1907

[104]Aug 2, 2008
    when i first seen natalie on the show i really didnt like her just because i was used to sharona but now i really like her though. I like both of them. and sharona was pretty skankish but she was really good to Monk and always defended him to the Capt. and everybody. How did they write her off anyways? did she go back to her EX? i have missed a ton of episodes...

sheep233

[105]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 22

Even though i kind of like natalie, it's Sharona all the way!!!

UltimatePyro9

[106]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 36
    lilypad1907 wrote:
    when i first seen natalie on the show i really didnt like her just because i was used to sharona but now i really like her though. I like both of them. and sharona was pretty skankish but she was really good to Monk and always defended him to the Capt. and everybody. How did they write her off anyways? did she go back to her EX? i have missed a ton of episodes...

It was said in "Mr. Monk and the Red Herring" that she went back to her husband in New Jersey.

zesca

[107]Aug 9, 2008
    It's a Jew/WASP Blue state/Red state issue. Sharona was a feisty East Coast lower middle class ethnic. Natalie is a West Coast WASP with an upper class background. Their parents would vote for opposite political parties. In East Coast culture, conflict is a form of paying attention, showing that you care. On the non-confrontational West Coast there's less intensity and a little more formality. For me there's no competition: Bitty Schram has stage experience. She seems to draw her performance from a deeper place than does her replacement. Despite the fact that Monk is formulaic, the cast has included some brilliant actors, starting with Tony Shaloub and Ted Levine. Along with the Schramm they are respected stage actors. But a lot of people prefer nice (which, to me, is boring). With Natalie there doesn't, in the words of G Stein, seem to be any there there.

deanropi

[108]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 3

zesca wrote:
    It's a Jew/WASP Blue state/Red state issue. Sharona was a feisty East Coast lower middle class ethnic. Natalie is a West Coast WASP with an upper class background. Their parents would vote for opposite political parties. In East Coast culture, conflict is a form of paying attention, showing that you care. On the non-confrontational West Coast there's less intensity and a little more formality. For me there's no competition: Bitty Schram has stage experience. She seems to draw her performance from a deeper place than does her replacement. Despite the fact that Monk is formulaic, the cast has included some brilliant actors, starting with Tony Shaloub and Ted Levine. Along with the Schramm they are respected stage actors. But a lot of people prefer nice (which, to me, is boring). With Natalie there doesn't, in the words of G Stein, seem to be any there there.

Agree with you 100%

IreneRox

[109]Aug 10, 2008

zesca wrote:

If by "there" you mean terrible acting, then I would agree with you. Who says bitty is "respected" as a stage actress? Who cares if she is a stage actress? This is a tv show.

Traylor has had many lead roles because she is just palin good. Bitty had one lead role and she got booted. And what has she done lately? Not much, that shows how "respected" she is.

orangerr95

[110]Aug 21, 2008
    I agree, who cares if Bitty has some stage expierience. She had a good character but Sharona was terrible as Monk's assistant! She didn't respect him or his problems very much in my oppinion and Sharona's attitude pissed me off a bit. I'm not saying Natalie is ideal, cause she's not. She's too happy and nice sometimes; that being said, I perfer Natalie only because she's more supportive of Monk I think.

kyravon

[111]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 25

I really disliked Sharona. Her character rubbed me the wrong way & seemed to fake. I also HATED her outfits & got really distraced by them.

Natalie's not that interesting, but at least she's not annoying. And I liked the lotto one where she got to be famous.

QuakertownBob

[112]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 17
    I watched the show in order on DVD. I originally thought that Sharona was the better fit, but as the episodes progressed, I have to say that Natalie seems to be a better fit for him and Julie a better kid for the show. Benji did not work for me, and Julie does, even though for a while she was playing a kid 2 years younger than she actually was.

johnofempires34

[113]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    I have to say Sharona, because she came first and she had great chemistry with monk. Natalie is okay, but she isn't as interesting and just lacks the chemistry. She's not bad, just not as good as Sharona.

stretchsnodgras

[114]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    Sharona was the best.

She was the most interesting, and although she was prickly (for good reason), she really cared about Monk.

Natalie was annoying at the start - at the end of season three she was bad tempered (iE there's the one episode where she orders monk to "Sit" liike he was a dog), but the new, nicer Nataliem starting season 4-5, is a good, if somewhat bland assistant to Monk.

stuksbluegrass

[115]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    You are brilliant!

madsen69

[116]Sep 16, 2008
    I heard she had time conflicts with her kid and the show? Maybe that's why she wasn't in the episode when she went back to her husband (which wasn't too much of a surprise).
    But I like them both. It's not much of an arguement, but I liked Sharona's east coast accent.

silvermoon88

[117]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    I hated Sharona and her son but i love natalie and her daughter.

tvfa

[118]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 52

Mossant wrote:
    Who do you think is better. I liked Sharona she did a great job playing off Tony. Why did she leave the series?

I haven't any episodes with Sharona but Natalie is a good character.

I was wondering what has made Natalie's character more successful than Sharona. Since the two personalities and tones are different of each character, would the characters have been the same if the actressess were playing the other role.

Also, is the Natalie character better because the writing (e.g. personality, tone of the character) is better than it was with Sharona and the actress playing Sharona was just following the visions and directions of the writers and producer or is the actress playing Natalie doing better acting?

Who is responsible for making the character popular?

zan4

[119]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 10
    I didnt like Sharona she seems to much like a 80 rockstar groupie..That always kinda of kicked monk down when he was trying to work...

ugzravage

[120]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 2
    Natalie hands down for me. Sharona reminds me of a stereotypical 'Mob wife' for some reason, not an unlikeable character, but definitely irritating to me. The show is great regardless of who Monk's female sidekick is, but at least in my humble opinion Natalie is superior hands down.