Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Sharona vs Natalie

pgsuperfan

[121]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 25
    Did anyone happen to see Bitty Schram as a guest stat on the Ghost Whisperer last Friday ?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mojomoonjo

[122]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 4

I FOUND HER (SHARONA) ABRASIVE AND LOW CLASS.EVEN HER NAME WAS UGLY. LIKE MONK WOULD EVER LET SOMEONE LIKE THAT IN HIS HOUSE...LOL

I LOVED TRAYLOR HOWARD IN 2 GUYS,A GIRL & A PIZZA....

SPEAKING OF GUEST SPOTS...ANYONE ELSE LIKE SEEING CALIFORNICATIONS "COKIE SMURF" IN THE "MR. MONK ON WHEELS" EPISODE?

kravitzfan12

[123]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 34
    For me, it's definitely Sharona.

I have watched the show since it premiered, and when I think of MonkI think of the original cast. Sharona just has a special place in the series - irreplaceable.

That being said, I love Natalie, too. I think Sharona was great and Natalie was a great replacement. It's unfortunate that Bitty Schram left the series, but I think that they picked the right replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------

700th post!

monica_cz

[124]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 15
    I really like them both.

OrSoIThought

[125]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 11
    Gotta say I'm gonna have to go with Natalie. Despite the fact that she's not a nurse, she seems to understand that he doesn't function on the same frequency as everyone else and is nicer to him because of it. However, she's still tough and tries to teach him how to treat everyone else and it seems to help him more. She brings out his normal side more than Sharona did.

fullhans1

[126]Oct 22, 2009
    I can't really decide, I like both of them. Either way, I'm happy that Sharona is returning for one episode.

monkfan100

[127]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 3

stretchsnodgras wrote:
    Sharona was the best. She was the most interesting, and although she was prickly (for good reason), she really cared about Monk. Natalie was annoying at the start - at the end of season three she was bad tempered (iE there's the one episode where she orders monk to "Sit" liike he was a dog), but the new, nicer Nataliem starting season 4-5, is a good, if somewhat bland assistant to Monk.

I agree completely. Sharona saved Monk on more than one ocassion in "Goes To The Asylum" and more explicitly in "Goes To The Theatre" (where she attacks an actress about to stab Monk). Also, don't forget, she's only human which is probably why I like her a lot, she loved Monk but was frustrated with her own situation as a single mom and how Monk's quirks and self-centeredness drove her crazy (Monk pretty much drove everybody crazy even Dr. Kroger who wouldn't get out of the cab when Monk was on his front door step ("Sleeping Suspect")). That said, Natalie's all right although I think the writing for her is a bit more forced (Traylor Howard is a fabulous actress, but she seems to have trouble doing anything with the character since there's really nothing special for her besides the fact that she's nice; not a bad thing, but Sharona seemed to have something extra. But still Natalie is fine and Traylor Howard tries hard. There was something extra though between the original four (Monk, Sharona, Stottlemeyer, and Disher) that the cast now with Natalie has never quite matched.

syrusfan

[128]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 38
    I started watching the series during a later season with Natalie, I watched some of the old ones with Sharona, but I have to say Natalie.

pgsuperfan

[129]Oct 25, 2009
    If the show was going to continue I would have liked to see Sharona make an occasional guest spot but I think Natalie will always be the #1 assistant

AndrobA

[130]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 1

Natalie Vs Sharona:

--> First of all I've seen all the episodes. In my personal opinion to deal with a character such as Monk, you require to have a lot of patient and a lot of understanding. Sharona was nice for some time, and she helped Adrian on Pre-Monk (before the TV show) to deal with Trudy's death and to go out outside of his home, and on few of the cases.

During the TV show, and sorry for the 'Sharona's fans', I think that Natalie has helped him better than Sharona did, she's also nicer and more sympathetic to him than Sharona was. She has helped him to get over some fears, Natalie is also prettier than Sharona, and she dress better than Sharona did (sorry, but Sharona looks like a hooker). Natalie is always respectful (Mr. Monk) to him and with his obsessive compulsive behavior (o-c-b), on the other hand, Sharona told him things like; "You're from another planet", etc, and that is not a way to treat a person with o-c-b to get over his problem. Another thing I did not liked from Sharona it was that in many episodes it was always the 'boyfriend' plot, she was always looking for a boyfriend and in some cases it created some problems. You can also notice that Sharona yelled at Monk too much. In Mr. Monk and Sharona you can really see the difference between Natalie and Sharona, Natalie is always there to help him and Sharona forces Monk into doing things (Elevator vs Stairwell) and Sharona yelled him on that episode on some parts. Like Natalie said "Is my job to assist him". Another big difference is that Natalie cares more about her job, you can see how Sharona was always threaten to quit and she quit two times and on her last episode and this disputes were because of the money, just only when Natalie was starting she was upset about the money. In Mr. Monk and Sharona you can see how Sharona just focus about the money, I mean, a dead relative and she just cared about the money!!! Beside the first episodes when have we seen Natalie being like this??!! NO!

And 'Sharona's Fans' if you're still not convinced after reading this, I can provide with some examples of episodes from the TV show: (How Natalie has helped him)

01.) On the episode Mr. Monk Goes to Mexico vs Mr. Monk Gets Cabin Fever. In this episode (Mr Monk goes to Mexico), he did not drink water for some days [it was funny], how ever on Mr. Monk gets Cabin Fever, Natalie helped him to drink water from the nature!!! And not just Sierra Sprint.

02.) Mr. Monk vs. the Cobra: In this episode Natalie threaten to quit, however she came back to apologize and helped Monk to be unburied. (I mean, she really cares for him).

03.) Mr. Monk Goes to Vegas: Over here you can see how Monk got addicted to gambling, in order to help Randy, and in the end of the episode, Natalie ask him how did he got over his problem, and Monk told her because of her assistance.

04.) Mr. Monk and the Astronaut: I liked this episode a lot, because you can see Monk giving an speech to a small public (one of his phobias) as well when he was laser pointed from the kids, Natalie helped him. This gave Monk some courage in order to stop the astronaut when he was laser pointed from guns! (When have we seen Sharona doing this?)

05.) Mr. Monk Gets Jury Duty: At the end of this episode, we can see Monk leaving a messy room intact with the help of Natalie, I was surprised in this episode. I have not seen Sharona doing something similar for Adrian.

06.) Mr. Monk and the Daredevil: Over here we can see how Natalie tried to help Monk with three of his different fears, milk, highs and the insect, in order to help Adrian with his 'rival' Harold.

07.) Mr. Monk and the Bully: Natalie helped Monk to put up with the 'bully' that teased Monk when he was in High School, and she put some limits here to Monk and eventually Adrian was able to deal with him (the bully).

08.) Happy Birthday, Mr. Monk: I particularly loved this episode, Monk was afraid to be left alone in his birthday, and Natalie surprised him with his 'Happy Birthday', and Monk understood that it wasn't a bad idea, in fact he liked it!!! Once again we can see the difference between Sharona and Natalie.

09.) Mr. Monk Is on the Air: On this we can see a more 'aggressive' side from Adrian, with that radio guy (I would have beaten him too), and with the help of Natalie (calming down Monk), Adrian was able of discovering the murder plot.

10.) Mr. Monk Is On The Run: This is a true test of the friendship between Adrian and Natalie, as how she cared about him, and she risked her live to prove Adrian's Innocence, she was also 'shocked' when Monk was "dead", and Sharona just send some flowers. Come on!!! That was ridiculous, that means she did not cared too much.

I still could give more and more examples, but for me those ten ones are a good example in comparison of how Sharona and Natalie are so alike, and now on this Monk stage, he's better suited with Natalie as she cares more for Monk and helps him better with his fears and phobias. But we cannot also forget that Sharona helped him on a critical stage of Adrian's life.

So for me, Natalie is the best! Can you 'Sharona's Fans' give me some defining examples like I did? I think not. Some of you write "no good chemistry between Adrian and Natalie or Bitty Schram is a better actress than Traylor Howard". But I think there is a good chemistry between Natalie and Monk (otherwise the show would not have lasted this long), and I like her role as an actress. // I also believe that the way she calls him Mr. Monk is professional as it would also be a Secretary with his boss (I mean could you imagine a secretary calling his boss by his first name, oops!). I also think this is a way to show some limits, that Natalie does not love Adrian like Trudy did, Natalie is just a good friend to him.

Regards To Monk's Fans.

pgsuperfan

[131]Nov 18, 2009
    I like Natalie, what is there not to like ?
    Edited on 11/18/2009 1:34pm

JesseTehSkox

[132]Nov 18, 2009
    • level: 5
    As someone who suffers from problems not entirely dissimilar to Monk's - on my plate I've got extreme, crippling social anxiety disorder, a thankfully far-from-Ambrose-level agorophobia, and Asperger's Syndrome, so...yeah, I'm also someone with major problems dealing with the world - I'd just like to note that, from my own personal experiences, while it can be nice to have a Natalie around, someone like Sharona (still supportive but also more than willing to challenge you) does more good, all told.

colorito700

[133]Jul 27, 2010
    Sharona, of course

Avinator5712

[134]Aug 6, 2010
    • level: 2
    Natalie, she's hot

CrimeDramaBee

[135]Aug 20, 2010
    I like Natalie way more. She's just so nice.

Petrophaga

[136]Oct 7, 2010

Definitely Natalie, Sharona was so abrupt and sometimes so rude to Monk. He has his annoying quirks and OCD, but that was her job. Natalie was much nicer to him and tricked him for example to sign a pay check in a very sweet way.

TheLittleOne00

[137]Jun 23, 2011

I think that both Sharona and Natalie are both great in their own ways. I love Monk it is a very good show.

Slash_out

[138]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 5
    Natalie all the way. If Natalie was the first cast and she was then replaced by Sharona, I doubt there would be such a split "fanbase".

Anyway I find Natalie cuter, and she connects with Monk more.

sof1e

[139]Feb 17, 2012

She quit the show - dispute over contacts. What a pity - she was fantastic. Natalie too civilized - no umph!!

sof1e

[140]Feb 17, 2012
    I agree! - Sharona was so lifelike, real... it's so obvious Natalie is just acting.