Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

when rewatching the finale..*spoilers*

JavaJunkie4Life

[1]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 25
    ok, i know there are other threads about this, this being natalie and monk together, but go with me on this. ok, so i rewatched the carwash scene [for the 20th or so time, cause its amazing imo] and it thought the whole wipe thing was odd. natalie walked up to monk with a wipe in her hand, like she knew she was gonna kiss him all over his face already. weird? i would expect a loving hug, from close friends, but kisses all over the others face? even if she thought he was dead, i dunno. i think there's something in the works for season 7, i could be wrong, but after that scene. oh, and i'd also like to point out that monk didn't seem disgusted. maybe more surprised? opinions?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

casualviewer

[2]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 2

JavaJunkie4Life wrote:
    ok, i know there are other threads about this, this being natalie and monk together, but go with me on this. ok, so i rewatched the carwash scene [for the 20th or so time, cause its amazing imo] and it thought the whole wipe thing was odd. natalie walked up to monk with a wipe in her hand, like she knew she was gonna kiss him all over his face already. weird? i would expect a loving hug, from close friends, but kisses all over the others face? even if she thought he was dead, i dunno. i think there's something in the works for season 7, i could be wrong, but after that scene. oh, and i'd also like to point out that monk didn't seem disgusted. maybe more surprised? opinions?

Her emotions in the episode were very intense and her actions were pretty much driven by them. At least from my point of view, she seemed more than a "loyal employee" or a "good friend." I don't see her reacting as she did if Randy or Leland had been presumed dead. I think it's safe to say she loves Monk. Some say she's "in love." There is only one way to truely know the answer to that question and that is to ask her but since she's a fictional character, that isn't possible.

I remember reading something once on the subject of "love" and being "in love." When you love someone, you care deeply for their emotional and physical well being. You want the best for that person. You want that person to be happy and you like to make that person happy. You enjoy being with that person, spending time together. When you're "in love" with someone, it's all of those things, plus the constant and sometimes overwhelming desire to be with that person. And when you aren't with them, you are always thinking about them and when you will be with them again. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

It seems like season 6 had more emphasis on their relationship and how much they have come to depend on one another in so many aspects of their lives. Season 7 will be interesting.

FishCalledWanda

[3]Mar 8, 2008
    A lot has been said about how deeply Natalie cared for Monk in the season finale, and that the writers might be setting up a romance between her and Monk, but I feel unable to join the train here. If you add some other recent episodes into consideration, the picture becomes inconsistent. In Up all Night, Monk is sleepless for several nights in a row, which surely is a condition one might worry about. Yet when Monk calls Natalie and asks if he can come over to see her, she says, "No don't do it; take a walk". That's not something you say to a person in distress who you deeply care about / are in love with. In the Cult episode, when the captain worries about Monk being abused by the cult people, she tells him, "No, he'll be fine, he's a lot stronger than you think". Is she really that stupid? And in the season finale, her rushing off to see Monk in Nevada results in the sheriff following her and getting Monk into trouble. And that after the captain expressly told her that it might be dangerous to go and see Monk and made her promise not to. She certainly meant well, but the fact remains, she is acting stupidly. (And you can see from Monk's reaction that he thinks so, too. The OP says that he wasn't disgusted. I rewatched the scene: Monk has his face pursed and his nose wrinkled - to me, he didn't seem overenthusiastic. And then, when Natalie tells the sheriff all they know about him, Monk rolls his eyes and says, "Thanks for stopping by, Natalie", which is clearly ironical.)

I'm well aware that all of the incidents described above are devices to get the plot going; but at the same time, these devices make Natalie look stupid and/or careless (they also show that Stottlemeyer has a much better understanding of what is good for Monk, than Natalie). I get the impression that the writers switch Natalie's love (?) for Monk on and off, as the plot requires; just as they switch her money problems on and off (at one time she says she has little money, then she can afford a new car; also her clothes look anything but inexpensive; she says she can't buy Julie a car, but in the end, Julie has a car after all; etc etc.). There's certainly no character that is 100% consistent, but with Natalie the inconsistencies are blatant. The odd thing being that all the other characters are, on the whole, constructed very carefully. So, whatever solution the writers come up with for Monk and Natalie, it won't surprise me, because it won't be making much sense, anyway.

chipee

[4]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 13
    Many years ago I noticed the same thing in the "Mary Tyler Moore Show," a favorite of mine -- switching the characters back and forth as the plot requires. Two examples:

Ted Baxter, the announcer played by Ted Knight, was usually shown as dumb and inept, laughable, constantly messing up his lines. But other times he was portrayed as very popular, highly paid, always threatening to leave for higher things, and the station struggling to keep him from leaving.

Sue Ann Nivens, played by Betty White, was a friend of Mary and host of her own show at the same TV studio. She was middle aged, attractive and a promiscuous flirt with lots of dates/beaus. Yet other times when it suited the needs of the show, she was shown as a lonely woman who couldn't even get a date, any date.
    Edited on 03/08/2008 11:54pm

casualviewer

[5]Mar 10, 2008

FishCalledWanda wrote:
    A lot has been said about how deeply Natalie cared for Monk in the season finale, and that the writers might be setting up a romance between her and Monk, but I feel unable to join the train here. If you add some other recent episodes into consideration, the picture becomes inconsistent . . .

Overall, Natalie is loyal and devoted to Monk and with each season it becomes more apparent. She, along with the other characters, sometimes is inconsistent in her behavior when the script calls for it in order to facilitate the storyline in a certain direction. I think that can be said for many TV characters/shows.

Randy can be competent one time and a goofball the next. Monk is hindered by his phobias and other times, overcomes them. The captain is a devoted and professional law enforcement officer but at times hasn't acted very professional, like when he punched the cop at the junk yard and again during the line up in Captain's Marriage.

As far as the captain having a much better understanding of Monk, I think there are times that he doesn't always do the most intelligent or appropriate thing that the situation calls for. The 3 Julies comes to mind when they go to the mentally ill murder suspect's home and the captain tells Monk to go upstairs alone to check things out while he and Randy look around downstairs. Not the smartest thing for a police captain to ask of an unarmed civilian to do, let alone Monk, but the storyline needed Monk to go upstairs alone.

In Up All Night, Monk needed to be alone that evening for the story to unfold as it did. It was necessary for Natalie to suggest he take a walk and not stop by her place. It made sense from a character standpoint, too. It was 1 am, she was asleep, Julie was sick, and it wasn't like he said he was having chest pains. It would seem unrealistic if sometimes she didn't think of herself instead of always catering to Monk's every little whim. Plus, the captain also left Monk several times that evening even though Monk was distressed.

I believe Natalie's comment in Cult about Monk being "stronger than you think" is true. Monk does seem more capable and more self-sufficient since the first couple seasons. I don't think Natalie is "stupid" for her remark, just maybe overconfident in Monk sometimes.

As far as going to see Monk when he was in hiding, I agree, a really foolish /stupid move on Natalie's part but understandable for someone that was feeling the way she was, thinking he was dead and then miraculously alive. Plus, in order for the storyline to progress, Monk had to find the clue in Rollins car and having Rollins follow Natalie made that happen.

With each season and each episode, I think the characters have evolved and learned from their experiences and interactions. For Natalie, the finale seemed to show how strongly HER feelings have progressed to that point.

I don't think this episode is necessarily an indication of romance for them now or in the future. But the finale clearly showed that Natalie has developed a very strong emotional attachment to Monk.

Monk, on the other hand, is pretty guarded with his feelings towards her. He is very dependent on her, but is completely unappreciative and takes her for granted way too often. I think he takes advantage of her easy going, good nature, like when he expects her to carry everything for him and she does it. He generally doesn't like people to touch him or vise versa but he doesn't seem bothered where Natalie is concerned. His reaction to her kissing him seemed more like one of being completely surprised and apprehensive, but not disturbed or disgusted.