Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

When Will Monk Be Ending?

Tv9ShowFanatic

[1]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    I have heard a lot of rumors about when Monk will end its run. I have heard from One More Season To Septembers Finale was the last episode. I know it will be returning in January for 8 more episodes. Will it be returning for another season next summer? Thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kravitzfan12

[2]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 34
    There hasn't been anything announced about the ending of Monk. The creators said they were going to have to start thinking about wrapping it up, although some have said they would want to go to a season 8. I know USA isn't sure if they would renew it for a season 8, because costs are rising and viewership is falling.

We should know as soon as episode production for the January half begins, because the episodes will have been written and announcements made.

If this is the last season of Monk, I would like to see it end with nothing big about Trudy or anything and have them wrap all of the big storylines up with a TV movie on USA. They can take a two hour slot and wrap everything up. I would rather see that than them taking 2 or 3 or 4 of the last 8 episodes to close the story.

Teresa1643

[3]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 5
    Viewership is not falling. Where did you get that idea? There's been a slight increase in the ratings numbers during the summer season compared to last year. Every year since season one Monk has gained more viewers. The sixth season finale received the hghest rating ever (6.9 Million) for a Monk episode on USA. It's really phenomenal for a show that's been on as long as Monk has.

kravitzfan12

[4]Oct 7, 2008
    Teresa1643 wrote:
    Viewership is not falling. Where did you get that idea? There's been a slight increase in the ratings numbers during the summer season compared to last year. Every year since season one Monk has gained more viewers. The sixth season finale received the hghest rating ever (6.9 Million) for a Monk episode on USA. It's really phenomenal for a show that's been on as long as Monk has.
    You're right. I misread an article by The Hollywood Reporter, in which it read:

"Yet life for the Universal Media Studios production beyond its current 16-episode seventh season remains tenuous. Not because ratings have slipped; the show pulled in a 3.3 household rating last season and is holding fairly steady with a 3.2 this season, according to Nielsen Media. Instead, as industry sources indicate, it's become increasingly difficult for USA to justify the show's price tag -- even a highly popular mainstay like "Monk" -- given cable's modest viewing levels. "Monk," effectively, has priced itself out of its market"

I had read it to say that the high price tag and slipping ratings were cause for the uneasy renewal. My mistake!

saxplayer3

[5]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 1
    I've got this gut feeling that this is the last season. It seems like the production quality (with the exception of the 100th episode) is getting lower. That could be a sign of some budget cuts that may lead to the end of the show.

Teresa1643

[6]Oct 10, 2008

I don't think there's been any drop in the actual production values (script quality is a matter of opinion, but they sure as heck aren't paying the writers any less for them) and I know there weren't any production budget cuts for the seventh season. I'm pretty sure we will see a season eight and a Variety article, while not announcing a renewal for Monk, certainly seems to hint that they're getting closer.

Excerpt from Variety.com
    USA renews 'Psych,' 'Burn Notice'
    Both shows have received 16-episode orders
    By DANIEL FRANKEL
    Oct 9, 2008

USA Network has renewed two drama skeins that helped it win basic cable's summer ratings crown. Cabler has reupped "Psych" for a fourth season and "Burn Notice" for a third. Both skeins have received 16-episode orders, USA said Thursday. With the earlier renewal of rookie thriller "In Plain Site," "Monk" remains the only established USA original in limbo.

"We'd love to see a season eight of 'Monk,' " said Jeff Wachtel, exec VP of original programming for the network. "We're talking right now, and we'll make an announcement when the time is right."

Full Article

I wouldn't bet against a season eight for Monk.

Edited on 10/09/2008 11:22pm

kravitzfan12

[7]Oct 11, 2008
    I think the final decision is going to be made by the people behind Monk. It sounds like USA is willing to continue on with the show, and maybe would have renewed it already, but the producers / writers / creators haven't made a final decision on what to do.

If they think it's time to call it quits, than USA will say so. If they want to continue with another season, I think USA will gladly renew it.

I think it is all up to the brains behind Monk.

Teresa1643

[8]Oct 12, 2008
    Andy Breckman and Tony Shalhoub have already said they'd like to have a season eight. It's a matter of hammering out the details with the network.

hapat

[9]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 14
    I like it if they had another season, but they should wrap up the whole Trudy death thing at the end of this season. Then have season 8 something new and interesting since he now would have closer.

major_csi_fan

[10]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 4
    monk will enmd at season 8 they will b 8 more episodes for season 7 then 16 more for season 8 and that is it