USA (ended 2009)

Where's Sharona?

AuthorAnaO

[1]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    Please:

Tell us why you trashed Sharona!

Bring her back--now!

The new girl may be fine anywhere else--but NOT beside Monk! She's so utterly flat, and her poorly cast role makes me want to puke!

Get rid of her and return the rightful actor, our Bitty, to Sharona's magic!

Hurry, now!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DrewFuller4Ever

[2]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 29
    She's not coming back

extex2

[3]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    Some irate Monk fans vowed to wash their hands of USA Network's quirky germaphobic-sleuth series when it was announced that Bitty Schram would not return as Sharona for the second half of the season. The decision to split was apparently mutual. Schram, who played the feisty Watson to Tony Shalhoub's Holmes, declined to be interviewed; manager Scott Zimmerman said her departure was "too painful and she still had friends" on the set.

Zimmerman confirmed Monk executive producer David Hoberman's claim that the split was due to "creative differences," contractual issues (usually code for wanting more money) and Schram's desire to do feature films.

Sources close to the show say Schram, who earned a Golden Globe nomination for the role last year, was more ditz than diva but had become more difficult this year, causing "strain" on the set and delaying production with "sick-outs."

When the show returns January 21, new cast member Traylor Howard (Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place) plays Natalie, a widow and single mom who teams up with Monk. Howard says she admires Schram's work but isn't nervous about replacing her, hoping "the audience will rediscover Monk's quirks" through Natalie's puzzled eyes.

Will Sharonaphiles tune in? We imagine the producers emulating their neurotic hero: crossing their fingers and avoiding sidewalk cracks while they wait and see.

>
    LONG LEAD: “Monk” (Jan. 21 on USA). As Monkophiles have no doubt heard, TV’s most germ-free detective has a new girl Friday helping him solve cases. The producers used their falling-out with former co-star Bitty Schram to shake up the show’s sexual chemistry, although I’m not sure anyone actually tunes in to an old-fashioned detective series for the sexual chemistry. Traylor Howard, who was the non-male in the sitcom “Two Guys and a Girl,” plays Natalie, a widow with child who crosses paths with Adrian Monk when she hires him to figure out why men keep breaking into her home. Natalie doesn’t wear the off-putting Jersey-girl wear that was favored by Sharona, Monk’s previous assistant, and she’s not really looking for a job helping solve crimes. Yet despite her exasperation at Monk’s shelf-straightening nuttiness, she not only forgives him but seems to admire him … and as she agrees to the job, there’s clearly a hint of more to come. I found myself preferring Natalie to Sharona, but I wondered if I was reading too much into her relationship with Monk. “Without a Trace” has shown that you can mix a whodunit with who’s-doing-who. Will “Monk” follow in its footsteps (using an antibacterial spray on the footsteps first, of course)?

Return to TV Barn home

"Monk" (10 p.m. Jan. 21, USA): Sharona, the companion/nurse who kept Adrian Monk semi-sane, is gone for the second half of the third season. (Actress Bitty Schram left in a contract dispute with producers.) Hang in there Monk fans -- the neurotic detective's new sidekick has possibilities. She is a single mom and cocktail waitress (Traylor Howard) who gives Monk some tough love help -- very different than Sharona's exasperation.

The USA Network is ignoring the age-old maxim that you don't fix something that isn't broken by making a major change in their hit comedy-mystery series Monk (Fridays, 9 p.m.). When the show returns Jan. 21 for the second half of its season, Tony Shalhoub's new sidekick will be played by Traylor Howard, whose performances in the sitcom Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place can still be seen weekdays on the Women's Entertainment network.

Howard replaces Bitty Schramm, whose nurse/sleuth character Sharona had been a critical element in the show's success, particularly her ability to handle Monk's various neuroses without either being overwhelmed or treating him more like an invalid than a real person. According to a TV Guide story, the decision for Schram to leave was mutual, but that hasn't stopped all types of conspiracy theories from being floated on the Internet. Irrespective of why the decision was made, the early episodes spotlighting Howard will be closely watched.

Bitty schram
    Untitled Entertainment
    8436 W. Third St., Ste. 650
    Los Angeles, CA 90048
    Telephone: (323) 966-4400
    Fax: (323) 966-4401

USA Networks (USA)
    1230 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10020
    (212) 408-9100

NBC Universal TV Networks Group 818-777-1000

100 Universal City Plaza # 3030
    Universal City, CA 91608

David Hoberman
    Mandeville Films
    500 South Buena Vista Street
    Animation Building 2G
    Burbank, California 91521
    Phone: 818-560-4077
    Fax: 818-560-4627

Andy Breckman c/o

Howard Klein
    3 Arts Entertertainment
    9460 Wilshire Blvd. 7th Floor,
    Beverly Hills, CA, 90212, USA

feedback@usanetwork.com

NBCUNI.COM FEEDBACK
    100 Universal City Plaza
    Universal City, CA 91608

webmaster@usanetwork.com

rubencsj_2005

[4]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 7
    I don't think the showed decayed after sharona left. The chemistry is different but I like how it works out. It's different, is not like Natalie came to replace Sharona. Is totally different.

But I'd like to know what happened with Bitty, I mean didn't she left cause of moving to look for more money, to go look for other offers? we haven't heard of her since she left the series.

and I just remembered one thing....Will we ever find out what Benjy wrote on that letter?

_CoxswainM13_

[5]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    Please - lets not have this discussion again! As you'll see in the above thread "dont hate me", these things always go to far and get in the way of friendly relationships, right alex?
    And boy, how many threads do we have on sharona??

ixmattxi

[6]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 4
    AuthorAnaO wrote:
    Please:

Tell us why you trashed Sharona!

Bring her back--now!

The new girl may be fine anywhere else--but NOT beside Monk! She's so utterly flat, and her poorly cast role makes me want to puke!

Get rid of her and return the rightful actor, our Bitty, to Sharona's magic!

Hurry, now!

Y'know, I actually like Natalie.

We never saw the beginning of Monk and Sharona's relationship. When the show started, Sharona had been working with Monk for 2 or 3 years if I'm not mistaken. I am sure she started out much like Natalie...very professional, very formal (calling him Mr.Monk, more patient about a lot of things, having no real emotional investment in Monk, just seeing him as her boss)...but then she became the Sharona we know and love. She came to see Monk as more of a brother than an employer. And we can see Natalie starting to go there. Starting to get where Sharona was. It is interesting to see the development of an employee of Monk

alex20020712

[7]Feb 3, 2006
    ixmattxi wrote:
    I am sure she started out much like Natalie...very professional, very formal (calling him Mr.Monk, more patient about a lot of things, having no real emotional investment in Monk, just seeing him as her boss)

I do not see that, not even squinting. I think Sharona has always been Sharona.

darrel_ashley

[8]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 8
    I liked Sharona and all but sometimes she could be a b itch. Like when Monk told her suck it up about her fear of elephants, she really annoyed me that episode. I like Natalie now, bringing Sharona back now would just be awkward.

_CoxswainM13_

[9]Feb 4, 2006
    ixmattxi wrote:

Y'know, I actually like Natalie.

Me too!

DungeonDragon18

[10]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 10
    It might be interesting to bring Sharona back as a guest star one episode. she could be on vacation or something like that. it would make for an interesting episode.

_-_CSI_Freak_-_

[11]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 12
    I like Natalie. I don't think that the show has suffered that much without her. The only thing that I would change, would be the fact that she is a single parent like Sharona, and that Randy Disher has a crush on her....just like he did on Sharona....I think they could have been more creative on changing that aspect of the show.

bbntom55

[12]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 30
    _-_CSI_Freak_-_ wrote:
    I like Natalie. I don't think that the show has suffered that much without her. The only thing that I would change, would be the fact that she is a single parent like Sharona, and that Randy Disher has a crush on her....just like he did on Sharona....I think they could have been more creative on changing that aspect of the show.

I agree. I thought the "single-parent/Randy's crush" thing was weird. I didn't expect the same thing over again, but you know, it still worked.

Monk10000

[13]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 13
    Yea i agree Natalie is better than Sharon i hope i dont make any 1 mad

_CoxswainM13_

[14]Feb 9, 2006
    If you do - then oh well. It's just everyone's opinion.

loverob

[15]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 14
    Natalie has just made her UK debut. I know I should miss Sharona but Natalie can probably fill the void, she's an ideal foil for Monk. My only gripe is they haven't explained Sharona's disappearance.

PS
    If Natalie doesn't work out, the producers could make Bitty Schram an offer she can't refuse and start an episode where Adrian wakes up from a bad dream.

BestOfYou

[16]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 12
    loverob wrote:
    My only gripe is they haven't explained Sharona's disappearance.

They didn't? I miss Sharona's last episode because I was at college and forgot to tape it. The next day when I turned on to watch Monk, the first words I heard were "It's almost been three months since Sharona left.."

I thought her last one would've been emotional - did I get that totally wrong? She was there one episode, and not there the next?

Trollz_R_Cute

[17]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    they did at the start of Mr Monk and the Red herring she apparently moved back in with her ex

ianguyman

[18]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 13
    BestOfYou wrote:
    loverob wrote:
    My only gripe is they haven't explained Sharona's disappearance.

They didn't? I miss Sharona's last episode because I was at college and forgot to tape it. The next day when I turned on to watch Monk, the first words I heard were "It's almost been three months since Sharona left.."

I thought her last one would've been emotional - did I get that totally wrong? She was there one episode, and not there the next?

To put it simply yea you were totally wrong. The last episode ended with Sharona smiling and Monk smiling getting into her car very happy. The next episode started the way you said.

Natilie is not worse then Shorona at all if not better.

itshanabanana

[19]Apr 22, 2006
    I quite like Natalie too. And I don't think Bitty Schram will come back anyway.

h_b4400

[20]Apr 23, 2006
    I kinda miss Sharona but I like Natalie too so its not bad