Monk

Mr. Monk and Sharona

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 23, 2009 on USA

• A little offputting.

I was glad to hear that Sharona was coming back, but I think that the first problem I noticed was her being way too oversexed at the beginning of the show. She was wearing heels, a short tight skirt and a very lowcut top... I don't seem to recall her being this oversexed when she was on the show. They even had characters tell her "You look really good," and in the case of Disher, he said it more than once. It just seems out of character for Sharona, and out of character for the Monk mythos as well; this show isn't about sex appeal, it's about murders and solving crimes. Sure, there is sometimes a little sexual tension here and there; Natalie flirts with Disher, usually to make him stop nagging her about something or make him do something, and Sharona was the same way. There has never really been an overt sexual tone to the show, though.

Additionally, I found it a little strange that every time Sharona was consoled after someone found out about her uncle, she made it a point to downplay their condolences by saying something to the affect of "yeah, well I only met him twice." As a matter of fact, if I had to guess, I would say she says that particular phrase close to ten times throughout this episode. I found it out of character as well that Sharona, who seemed to be a caring person when she was originally on the show, could be so heartless to the death of a person that she would let a large settlement harden her heart... she didn't care that her uncle, even if she didn't know him well, was dead, she just wanted the money. Even once she eventually changed her mind, she obviously still had that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in her sights, as evidenced by the end of the episode.

The bickering and petty arguments between Natalie and Sharona were bound to happen due to their different approaches to dealing with Monk, but to be honest, their squabbles became far more annoying than Monk's many neuroses. This came to a head when Natalie, Sharona, Disher, and Stottlemeyer were all yelling at one another simultaneously. Much like the sex aspect of the show, not a lot of anger is displayed, at least not by the main cast members... usually, a stern word here or there, typically targeted at Disher, gets the job done.

Yet another problem I had was Monk's discomfort while in the closet with Natalie and Sharona; I was under the impression that he and Harold had pretty much conquered their claustrophobia in a previous episode, but that fact seems to have vanished. True, it's possible that he was just uncomfortable being that close to both Natalie and Sharona at the same time, or maybe even just two women period, but I'm thinking it was the claustrophobia, as he protested to the situation before even entering the closet.

Long story short (too late), this episode was below par, especially for a fanservice episode such as this. I expected something better for Sharona's return. I give it a 7/10, and that's probably being generous.