Monk

Mr. Monk and the End - Part II

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Dec 04, 2009 on USA

• This episode wraps up the show in two major ways - the case for the first thirty minutes, and the characters for the last thirty.

Well, everyone, this is it. The final Monk episode. The time when Trudy's killer is revealed. How did it turn out?

Honestly, like many other fans who have been speculating online, I was really hoping that the solving of the case would involve some big, elaborate scheme or twist. I was expecting some sort of plot involving chemical warfare. I thought maybe Dale the Whale was lurking in the shadows somewhere. At one point, I even thought perhaps Natalie was Trudy's daughter. And as the pieces began to fall into place, I kept asking myself, "Really? Is that it?" But Monk said it all in his final words to the judge: "You did...all this...for a job?!?" (At least I thought that's what he said.) And it was a good point. It was ridiculous just how much the Judge did to cover his tracks, and he knew it.

Once the second half of the episode kicked in, with Molly, the end of the Randy storyline, and Monk's resolving to "help other Trudys," I realized that this show wasn't really about the Trudy case - it was about these characters that we've come to know and love. It was a reminder that we began with an unsolvable case that haunted our main character but grew into something more that helped him along in those 12 tough years and into a new journey that he's beginning now: relationships. The last thirty minutes were all about relationships and friendships: Randy and Sharona, Monk and Molly, and the Captain and his wife. I'm so glad Natalie and Steve were barely mentioned - and that we did get to see Monk and Natalie on their way to a new crime scene during the ending montage. And the last line about leaving the stove on - what a wonderful callback to the pilot!

So come on, everyone - I know the case may have been a bit predictable, but I'd rather spend more time seeing these wonderful characters grow and move on. :) Feel free to disagree if you'd like, but I thought it was beautiful to watch. We've come a long way with everyone since the pilot.
  • Beautiful Ending (Spoiler-Free)

I have to say, this was an amazing ending and Monk will (hopefully) go down as one of the better shows of the past 10 years.
    Each episode this season was pretty strong, and it really clicked with everything that happened in this episode.
    I'm attempting not giving anything away, but it's quite difficult because by even saying a minor comment might ruin what is certainly one of the better finales of a TV show ever.
    That said, this really was a special episode and I must confess to shedding a tear during certain events.
    A fitting send off to one of TV's greatest.
  • A great end for a great show

Although I think the conclusion was somewhat rushed, I understand that they had a lot to squeeze in to the final episode of one of the greatest shows of all time.
    I'm glad they tied up the knots and even though I was sure they wouldn't, I was happy that they didn't kill Monk.
    For what this episode might have lacked, I have to give it a 10 simply because it's the final piece of a puzzle eight years in the making.
    I was happy to see Monk finally improving in the end and it was a nice touch with the Randy/Sharona thing, although it would have been nice if she could have been in the episode.
    If you are a Monk-o-phile then this last episode won't disappoint. I miss the show already but I'm happy they ended on a high note instead of slowly letting it die.
  • The END

A great end for a great show.
    I can't believe it ended. I am happy and sad at the same time.
    The way it took us on a trip from the bottom of despair and sadness to the pique of joy...
    Really glad it all worked out for Monk. The daughter was a magical touch and I think it was a great idea. Yhe scene at the beach with the two of them talking shows the start of a whole new life for Monk and it is proved with the next scene at his kitchen telling Natalie that wait for it....
    He is going to the movies!!! A great show and a great conclusion
  • A journey comes to an end.

I can't believe i am writing my final review for Monk. This has been one of the most enjoyable shows i have ever watched and it was capped off with a fantastic finale. One that won't disappoint Monk fans.

In the past 8 years, no case has consumed Adrian more than that of his wife's murder. We finally know what happened now. Monk has got the closure he desperately needed. Watching the last two episodes, it did seem a bit predictable, but this was one case where Monk was too attached to think clearly. How could he ever suspect that Trudy was involved in an a affair when she was so young? Or what the repercussions of that relationship were?

But this is where the writing of the episode was genius. They solved the case in the first half of the episode and devoted a lengthy amount of time to giving a happy ending to all the characters. Monk has a person he can love in his life and he seems to have gotten rid of all the baggage he used to carry. Leland and Natalie are continuing their lives as happy as they have been and Randy has finally found his purpose too. I couldn't be any more happy for all of them. I wish characters like Sharona or Ambrose made an appearance, but it's not something that bothered me too much.

Overall, this has been a wondeful show. One that will go down as one of the best of the past decade. Thanks for everything Mr Monk. You will be missed.
  • Goodbye Monk, I always loved you, and always will! I cried when the show ended :( but it was a good ending (Spoilers)

To see monk leave us, it's like the end of an Era. The final send off was incredible. they found Trudy's killer and monk finds his resolution. it's not so easy for him to go on living knowing that what had kept him going for the past 8 years is resolved and solved - Case Closed - and he realizes that trudy's daughter is alive and well, and he gets to know her..

At the end of it, Monk seems better, free and alive. I love you monk and i will never forget you. for some strange reason, you feel like an actual person whom i will miss greatly
  • Thank you, Mr Monk. (SPOILERS)

how can I put this? this was one of my favourite shows on primetime TV this decade, beginning to watch this as I grew into my teenage years down to my young adulthood. it had humor intelligence and a loveable oaf of a protagonist suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder at the highest level. at the start of the show, he was trapped into hi s phobias at a level that many defined as crazy, but grew out of it somewhat as the show progresses. as an xpert detective, he solved many cases of his time, except one lingering in his head for 12 years, who had murdered his wife in a car bomb? after suffering from Ricin poisoning from someone trying to kill him, monk keeps on fighting against his dying body, figuring out who called for the murdering of his wife, after encountering the hitman. fuelled by a dark side unseen before, he goes after the judge who he suspects killed her (who actually did), with intent on making him confess. after a failed attempt in a court hearing that had him sent to a hospital, he finally pieces together the mystery surrounding his wife, with him finding the location of the midwife who gave birth to Trudy's daughter, who supposedly died 9 minutes after delivery. the final confronation occurs at the judges house, with monk holding up Judge Rickrover, forcing him to dig up a suspicious spot in his yard, revealing the grave of the Midwife. Stollmeyer arrives on the scene and prevents Monk from killing Rickrover out of pure hatred, but when Monk puts the gun down, Rickrover picks it up, puts it to his head, and said, "take care of her" before blowing his brains out.
    this reaches he final chapter of the show, where Monk realizes that Trudy's daughter is actually alive and searches for her, but finds her quite quickly. So monk gets re-united with a link to his wive through his stepdaughter, and all things eventually roll out to a happy and satisfying ending to a show I will miss and remember.
  • Poof! There goes my favorite show. This was a great two-part series finale for a fantastic show.

Trudy's case is finally solved. Tony Shalhoub deserves and Emmy/Oscar--or whatever the award an TV actor gets--for his performance in this episode. I loved the surprise the writeers gave us with Trudy's affair. Without sounding critical, ther was one thing I did dislike about the episode and that was the fact the Dale Biederbeck had nothing to do with the episode and the fact that the 6-fingered man was not mentioned. It was nice to see Disher get promoted and move in with Sharona in New Jersey and to see Monk meet Trudy's daughter. All I am going to say is that it was a great end to a great show.
  • Goodbye Mr. Monk

Once again there really isn't much for me to say, but the followup didn't disapoint, it delivered a payoff I've been waiting for for sometime and personally I don't know another way it could of ended.

I felt the characters we're just at their emotional best most of all Monk. I really loved once he found out who killed Trudy, he exercised intensity just boiling anger ready to explode and that is something I rarely see Monk do and it was believable. From beating the crap out of the killer with his fists to holding him at gunpoint which was rather suspenseful because we know that situation is going to result in something but we're not sure what and I won't tell you that's the best part.

And there was the closure, it was heartwarming when Monk mets his long lost daughter. One part that was funny was seeing him take about looks like 100 photos of him and his time with his daughter and he made about 4 scrapbooks. But I loved what the daughter said to Monk, which was for him to continue doing what he does there are many more innocent people like her late mom that are in danger that need him more than ever. And she's right it's Monk's role and destiny to protect and bring justice for the innocent, so as you can guess Monk is going to keep on doing what he does best along with Stolemyer and Natalie.

But I'll admit one more thing I was happy and a little sad that the character Randy was leaving. But that was because he has became the Chief of Police in New Jersey and is moving in with Sharona. All I can say is way to go Randy, I'm going to miss him as a deputy but he served his purpose and now he has to go to his own city and destiny that needs him.

Well Monk it's been a great many years, you've solved many cases, helped many lives, but most of all have shown that you weren't just a great detective but a great human being. Good bye Adrian Monk, you'll be missed but never forgotten.
  • After listening to Trudy's recording Monk discovers the identity of her killer. With Monk poisoned, its a race against time to finaly bring the killer to Justice.

After 8 seasons it is time to say Good Bye to Monk. With Mr. Monk and the End Part 2, it was the last time the show would bring us entertainment a Friday night. While during its course the show has had some great episodes and not so good episodes, I'm glad to see the series ending on a high note with a decent episode, with some very poignant scenes, but also lacking in some key areas.

The problem with the whole end is that its a great episode as a standalone, but when put against all the build up and background we had for the Trudy story arc it feels lacking. The only time it really felt like an arc it was at the beginning with the recap adding flashbacks of the pilot episode and Sharona, and during the end with mentioning of the "stove" line, but as for the mystery itself, it felt like a simple one that didn't make use of all the clues we had from before except for season six's reveal of "The Judge", and that gift that Monk never opened. On the other hand we only get the six fingered man in a flashback and there is absolutely no mention of Dale the Whale. And they added new clues at the last minute telling us there was a missing midwife the same day Trudy died.

I guess the choice of the writers was based in, being Monk primarily an episodic show, they didn't mention much of what had happened before. But in a subtle way they did close the arc and with the revelation they challenged Monk's love for Trudy. Having Monk find out that Trudy was not the saint and perfect image he glorified and obsessed over was, is a great plot twist, but maybe it was a little downplayed on the screen, what will all right jumping to the happy moments of Monk finding Molly and becoming better.

Apart from writing, the acting was super on all sides, specially from Tony Shaloub. Having to portray anger, sickness, sadness, all in one moment is not an easy task, but Monk pulled it off beautifully. Craig T. Nelson was great in his role as the villain, and in my opinion the confrontation with Monk on the grave and digging wouldn't have worked if both actors weren't so good. Ted Levine was also great, as was the rest of the cast. Even Molly in her few minutes of screen time didn't do bad at all. The direction was nice, being a dark episode and all. The Monk confrontation in the rain had a goof, that in small shot I didn't really see any rain falling, and it was kinda inconsistent, but other than that it was great.

All in all, a great episode, that in the end felt a little rushed, but provided closure for the entire series. A mention to Dale the Whale would have been nice, since he clearly knew about Sheriff Rollins, Frank Nunn, Warrick Tennyson and I bet about the Judge too. I guess he can just go down in Monk history just as the guy that was well connected and didn't say anything just because he hated Monk. Also it would have been a good detail to have Monk show more remorse over having the answer to Trudy's murder right in his house all this time. Also Natalie didn't get much of an ending. She stills work for Monk, and I'm guessing she is still with Steven Albright, but did they marry? did it work out? What really happened to Mitch? Did they leave some loose ends hanging for a future movie?

8/10
  • It's Over.

Monk's finally over. It feels weird to know that if I turn on USA Network on Friday Tony Shalhoub won't be on my TV screen talking about the cleanliness of the apartment in which a man was just murdered anymore.

As far as finales go, this one was superb. Why? Because it was just another episode of Monk. There was a murder, there was a creepy killer, and Adrian solved it all in the end. It showed that the world will continue in California, just with a few minor changes as everyone now has somebody in their life.

This show did a lot of things for television. It showed that a cable series could be better than anything on network TV. It showed that you can have an eccentric personality as the lead, paving the way for shows like The Mentalist and Psych. And it just showed that family humor can still be funny. I say that just about every week, but it is true. This show is rated PG, yet is just as enjoyable as Two and a Half Men, a show that averages a sexual innuendo every 2.5 seconds.

The episode was humorous, sad, sincere and dramatic all at once. This was a well-done finale for a show that will be missed.
  • Mr. Monk and the Final Problem

It's hard to believe it's over. I've been a fan of this show since the beginning, and have developed a bit of a frustrating emotional attachment with it. So, as you can imagine, it feels weird to actually see it go. It seems even weirder to see it go with this. Not a bad episode by any means, but a little bit of a letdown in certain areas and considerably different in focus than I'd really expected. Only as a series finale could an episode of this caliber be a little bit disappointing; it's still pretty good, being the second best episode of the final season, behind Part One. (Note that this is, by its nature, a very spoilerific review. You have been warned.)

Picking up where we left off last week, Adrian plays the tape Trudy left for him twelve years earlier. Apparently, she knew she might die, and she knew precisely why. To the surprise of no one who already saw the first part, Craig T. Nelson's Judge Rickover was responsible - it seems that he had an affair with Trudy many years prior, and fifteen years she had to be silenced to protect his precious political career. Instead of dwelling too much on the fact that he could've easily solved this case twelve years prior, he fights his poisoning to engage Rickover in a final rain-soaked confrontation. And then gets miraculously saved after Natalie, of all people, identifies the source of the toxin. At first, Monk feels empty - he's just closed the case that has kept him going for the past eight years. But he soon finds something to wedge into the gaping hole in his life in the form of Trudy's long lost daughter from the Rickover affair.

The solution to the Trudy case is decent, albeit not as elaborate as I'd expected, and a bit rushed. It's rather disappointing how little detective work Monk actually has to do in this finale, as the killer's identity is just handed to him on a silver platter and it's Natalie who deduces the source of the poison. That just leaves the sundial thing, which I suppose is clever enough. It's also disappointing that we never learn how Dale the Whale knew so much about the case - indeed, the rotund fiend doesn't even make an appearance, which just might be a blessing given the steady decline in quality of the actors portraying him. While we're talking about the episode's negatives, I have to mention Monk's recovery from the poison, a part of the episode that is even more rushed (in that it happens entirely offscreen), completely throwing off the timeline of this episode. And though it's not much of a complaint, I will note that Police Chief Disher is actually sort of a terrifying thought.

On the upside of things, Rickover is an interesting villain, played with just a sliver of sympathy despite having done some truly ghastly things, thankfully not being portrayed as single-mindedly over-the-top pure evil as I'd feared the writers would do with Monk's unknown archnemesis. Kudos to Craig T. Nelson for that. The Monk-Rickover confrontation is adequately tense, adequately dark, and ends on a rather shocking (by this series' standards) note that some fans will definitely find unsatisfying, but that I personally liked. And while Monk's recovery from the poison is, as previously mentioned, weirdly rushed, his semi-recovery from his emotional problems is handled quite nicely, enough to be noticeable but not to an unrealistic degree - no one fully recoils from anything immediately, and besides, we've learned he had his fair share of quirks even before Trudy's death. He'll always be a bit of a stick in the mud. Just, now he's a stick in the mud that can dress quasi-casually.

And thus concludes one of the shows that changed the way I look at television back in the day. Devising a satisfying conclusion to any long-running series, I am well-aware, is tough business. And while this finale could have been better, at the end of the day, it's still an above average episode that'll put a smile on your face, with the skillful blend of comedy and drama typical of all the better episodes of this series. After drivel like "Mr. Monk and the UFO" and "Mr. Monk Goes Camping", it's wonderful to see that the final season could go out on a high note. Goodbye, Adrian Monk. I seriously need to invest in some of the DVD sets now.
  • This was a wonderful episode... RIP MONK July/12/2002 - December/4/2009 RIP!

This episode was sad from the beginning towards the middle. What I didn't understand is Trudy said "before" they met she had an affair? Well not with him I guess. It's sad how Trudy died in the first place, the scum murderers on the bottom of Earth's Shoes. I am glad that Monk was not poisoned anymore and that he finally solved his most important case (in my opinion) and met Trudy's daughter. I did feel like Molly didn't want to be around Monk so much, but not like she hated him.

Monk has been an outstanding series!

Again, Rest in Piece...
  • I wish the writer of the final episode should have watched the previous seasons. Esp. Season 5, Episode 6 ( Mr. Monk and the Class Reunion)

Yes , I wish the writer of the final episode had watched the other seasons, esp. Season 5, Episode 6 Mr. Monk and the Class Reunion.

I love the series, I love Adrian Monk. I'm sorry because it ended.But they did a big mistake at the end. At the tape , Trudy told that she had a big mistake before they met. But actually they met in 1981 , while they were both in college. They met in the library and Adrian memorized her phone number while she was writing on his back to give another boy. They told their love to each other at that college in the garden while sitting on a bench, which later Adrian showed to Nathalie. for more and details http://www.tv.com/monk/mr.-monk-and-the-class-reunion/episode/835870/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;summary
    But Molly's date of birth is January 1983...
  • What and ending? Best FINALE I've seen in a long while.

"Here's what happened..."

I was not much of a Monk fan. In fact, I almost hated it at first, but my wife watched it from season 2 on. After being subjected to it for a few years, I finally became a fan during the 6th season. After re-watching all of the episodes leading up to the 2 part finale, I can honestly say that I was blown away by the completeness and feeling of closure presented at the end. While I could continue to watch Monk for a few more seasons, the finale was so well-rounded and complete, that I can truly say good-bye. The acting was top-notch. The script was brilliant, and the fact that the second half of the episode was devoted to bringing the well needed closure, places this at the top of my all time favorite tv episodes period.

To all those that worked on this wonderful show, Thank you. May your future endeavors shine as bright.
  • Thanx 4 being there, you were a beautiful Island to go to on Friday nights. I will miss that.

The evolution of the show was amazing. Who would of thought in this day and age that a show would last 7 years. It survived a witers strike and allowed the TV viewer to become a part of a family. The show handled its own trial and tribulations well, adding strong characters when need be. Tony Shalhoub certainly has come along way since being a taxi driver in Wings. I am sure that once the the box set of all seasons come out there will be many a Monk marathon parties. I know I will be throwing one. However the question is , What food would Adrian serve, certainly not one beer per person.
  • Finally, a finale done right!

This is how a finale should be done! Closure, hallelujah! Giving the series a few episodes to wrap up instead of rushing everything at the last minute let everything flow naturally, and more importantly, satisfactorily. And it did what every great finale should do, give you that sense that the characters have, A) matured over the course of the series, B) not strayed too far from their roots, and C) are still out there doing their thing. Cheers for including Sharona in the final arc. Well done MONK cast and crew! A A A
    A A A A A A