Monk

Mr. Monk and the Psychic

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jul 19, 2002 on USA

6.6
  • One of the worst Monk episodes. Unbelievable crime solving. Impossible to suspend disbelief.

One of worst episodes. "Monk" is great for its characters and humor. It is weak in the detective area. I groaned when they staged that silly seance (at the end of the episode, at the "murder scene" of the girlfriend) to get the experienced ex-police commissioner to confess to driving the phony psychic to the car crash site. I can forgive some of the other silly plot ploys -- the ramp so the wife's car would shoot over the cliff, the mudslide that buried the car, the need to chloroform the psychic and drive her to the scene to find the car for insurance purposes, the unique pebble gravel, the convenient returned package in plain sight, etc. But so many of them? The only good things in the episode are the quirky psychic and Sharona's belief in psychics for boyfriend hunting.

Let me repeat that so many things were unbelievable and silly in this episode that it was impossible to "suspend disbelief," much as I'd like to. The two worst aspects of the episode are (1) the phony seance at the end to unbelievably shock and unravel the murderer; and (2) that the ex-commissioner/murderer, who was to inherit from his wife who was said to be "as rich as all of Canada," would undertake to chloroform and drive the psychic to the crime scene so the body would be discovered so he could put in an early claim for the measly $2,000,000 insurance money. Brother!