Monk

Mr. Monk Gets Lotto Fever

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Aug 01, 2008 on USA

• Natalie as a lottery hostess? The episode is successful because of the great acting and the great humor, and the decent mystery.

For the first time in a while, we get an episode that pays some more attention to Natalie while also focusing on Monk.

Someone has just killed a TV lottery hostess. It seems like a mugging gone wrong, but Monk quickly figures that there is something more to the case. Meanwhile, the station's manager approaches Natalie and asks her to perform the next lottery drawing to fill a gap as they try to find a replacement. After Natalie performs successfully, the station manager offers her the job full time, and Natalie accepts.

Soon, Monk finds himself short an assistant - Natalie isn't able to focus on the case any more, and she's signing autographs from her fans rather than investigating dead bodies. While some fans note that season 7 dives into the "Monk being unnessecarily rude" area, here it seems perfect: Monk hates having to keep Natalie from slipping into lottery mode and hates the fact that she is getting more attention than him. When he humiliates her in front of her fans, she finally quits working for him.

Then Natalie and Captain Stottlemeyer are accused of rigging the lottery. Monk has to come to their rescue, and he quickly nails the real culprit.

The episode was written with brilliant acting, brilliant humor, and a mystery where you actually did have to do some thinking.

I always do a "the moments I thought were funniest" in my reviews of 'Monk' episodes, so here it is:

1. Irony: The dead lottery hostess wishes her fans a lucky lotto day before signing off, and it cuts to her being chased out of the studio. She is killed near an advertisement depicting her.

2. Randy's zinger on the murder: "It looks like her number came up." When a patrol cop says the exact same thing, Randy (of course) throws his notebook at him and confronts him. Throughout the rest of the episode, Randy keeps trying to come up with one-line zingers.

3. Natalie's ad-libbing while drawing the numbers on her first show, and her flattering of Monk by using "You'll thank me later!" as a sign-off line.

4. Natalie tries to clean a smudge off an image of herself on a bus advertising wrap.

5. Monk signs an autograph on Natalie's back. Later, this happens again only with them in the opposite parts.

6. The entire scene in the apartment of lottery fanatic Malcolm O'Dwyer was pretty good. I never knew that someone would be that worked up about the lottery. I was especially humored by Malcolm's unusual algorithm to drawing numbers (based on number patterns and the theories of Sir Issac Newton). Stottlemeyer blindly admitting that he buys 20 tickets a week is perfect.

7. Monk imitating Natalie at Dr. Bell's office and also arguing about whether a number is a 9 or a 6 is just fantastic.

8. Monk mocks Natalie in front of her fans by reading the number of an evidence bag like it's a lottery number. When she confronts him, he starts to call her a bimbo, but cuts himself off halfway through saying the word, saying "bimportant person" instead.

9. Stottlemeyer says he can buy 20 good accountants when he realizes he's hit the jackpot, and even kisses the office photo he has of a boat in his office.

10. Monk is compared to Art Garfunkel, but he can't identify the singer correctly, instead (in this order) thinking that he's Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, a carbuncle, and even cartoon hippies.

Cons:
    After Monk proves that the lottery fanatic was murdered and Natalie takes off, I would have shown Monk and Stottlemeyer getting back to work and continuing their investigation. And at the police station, when they are watcing Natalie do the drawing of Stottlemeyer's numbers, I would have had Monk and Disher looking over the case files and trying to find out who may have wanted to kill the lottery fanatic, with Monk mentioning that he thinks the two murders are connected somehow.
  • It looks like her number came up…

Tony Shalhoub is a brilliant actor, but its episodes like this that remind us successful shows are the result of a group effort. Although, as always, we were treated to Mr. Monk's hilarious quirks and insecurities as he foils the latest criminal attempt, the supporting cast was really allowed to shine in this episode. After the local lottery girl was murdered, Natalie is given the opportunity to take her place and taste a little fame herself. While Monk is working to solve the murder, Natalie's popularity is growing. She finds her pictures on trolleys and buses, signs autographs and answers questions like, "What's your favorite number?" But, fame goes to Natalie's head and Monk's jealousy is too much for him, so when he asks her to choose the lottery or him, she chooses the lotto.

As much as I enjoyed Natalie's spotlight, Randy made me laugh the most. He was so proud when he came up with the line "It looks like her number came up." Ahh, Randy, always looking for approval. When the other police officer said it first, the look on Randy's face was priceless. The best part was his pathetic attempt to come up with alternate one-liners throughout the rest of the episode. Captain Stottlemeyer had some of his best moments this episode when interacting with the lottery fanatic. They encounter a suspect whose apartment is pasted with numbers, algorithms, lotto articles and photos of everyone associated with the lottery. Leland is shocked when the fanatic asserts that it is not the winning or losing that matters in the lottery quest, but the journey. His embarrassment is apparent when he admits he blindly buys $20.00 of lottery tickets each week, never winning anything.

Monk's new psychiatrist, Dr. Bell, also gets a little screen time this episode. It can't be easy to fill the shoes of such a well-loved character, especially after a death. I think they did a great job of introducing him in the beginning of the season. However, they started to explore some personality differences in this episode. I loved when they started arguing over the difference between a 6 and a 9. Monk does not disappoint in the end. When Natalie and Captain Stottlemeyer are accused of fixing the lotto, Monk is there to solve both the murder and their predicament. In the end, all is once again right in the world of Monk. But, who knows, maybe Natalie and Monk will appreciate each other more now. And maybe Captain Stottlemeyer will stop buying lotto tickets. But, regardless, this episode was fun and enjoyable, well worth the time. I don't know if it would be in my top ten, but I would watch again if only to hear Randy say, "We got your numbers. Number. Number. We got your number. Nu…numbers?" Well done.
  • The lottery girl is killed and Natalie takes a one day job there that turns into full time. She is loving the new job and must choose between her new job and Monk. She chooses the lottery girl and when the Captain wins the lottery Natalie needs Monk.

A Natalie episode after not having seen much of her last week was welcome. We all knew that she would come back to Monk but how that was going to was the thought that kept running through my head.
    I can only imagine what it must be like to be such a public icon. The other side of the coin is she is Monks partner but always in his shadow. She choose to step out from the shadow and get her 10 minutes of fame. I liked the way this episode played out. Not the best one but definitely worth a second view.
  • A great Monk episode!!

This was a great episode! In this one, a lottery girl gets murdered that looks like just a simple mugger, but Monk finds out that it's something more. At the crime scene, the guy in charge of the lottery thing on TV comes to Natalie and asks her if she would be interested in being the new lottery girl. Natalie accepts but Monk doesn't like it. Just after one show, Natalie's already very famous and Monk hates that even more. So a while after Monk becomes mad and natalie quits her job with Monk. so monk has to solve the case and cope with Natalie quitting. this was a great episode that had great jokes and Monk was great as usual!! So this a very well done episode for Monk fans and people who are just starting to watch the series!!!
  • A lottery girl is killed.

We start off with an exciting hunt before a murderer kills the woman who calls off the lottery number. After that we get some typical Monk behavior where it continually says how something is wrong, and then some more laughs with the whole autograph situation. "I guess her number came up." The cops arguing about that line was great. "Nokay." This was just a really funny installment of Monk. The storyline was also pretty original and not formulaic like we have come to expect from the program. All in all this was a strong offering from Monk and the best so far this season.