Monk

Mr. Monk Goes Back to School

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jun 20, 2003 on USA

6.7
  • An elaborate plot, with a good comedy to mystery ratio, setting the bar high for the second season of Monk.

This episode had many key factors that make it great. It combines a good mystery, comedy, and references to Trudy’s past. A typical Monk storyline is presented when Adrian is brought in by the school’s assistant principal because she is not satisfied with the police department’s decision to close the case. Adrian reminisces about the times he spent with Trudy, cluing us in on how the murder of Trudy will eventually be brought back up in a future storyline. I thought this episode was particularly hilarious because of Monk’s typical OCD, the gym teacher, and Mr. Monk’s substitute teaching job. What made this episode so memorable for me is how Derek Philby was able to pull of the murder and that Monk was so close to quitting the case even though he knew Philby was the murderer. As we have seen before and in future episodes, everything Monk does is for someone besides himself. He solved this case for Trudy, solves cases for Sherona, Stottlemeyer, and others that he meets. Besides Philby concocting the plan, the writers had to think of the plan and how Monk could prove that Philby was the killer. Since there maybe people who still have not seen this episode, I won’t spoil how Philby pulled off the murder, while making it look like a suicide. In the end, I really liked this episode.