Monk

Mr. Monk Goes to a Wedding

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Aug 19, 2005 on USA

• Natalie's date cancelled at the last moment to go to her brothers wedding, now she must go with Lt. Disher. But Disher gets hit by a car.

I enjoyed this episode. I watched it a dozen times because the words in it are fun to repeat and I like the whole story line that went with it. This episode ( Mr. Monk Goes to a Wedding) is filled with little bits of humor through out it. Like what Monk says and the spittle shield, and of course Randy Dishers mustache in the picture of the news paper. I also liked this episode because it was entertaining. Overall in my opion it was a great episode and really worth watching. I think there should be more episodes like this next season.
  • "Monk" has come too far too consistently for something like this.

5.5
    Monk keeps getting roped into things.

Even absolutely refusing to attend a wedding with Natalie as her date (bringing Disher into the picture) Monk can't stay away when Disher is the victim in a hit and run.

And the body of a blackmailing photographer is discovered in the spa.

Monk pulling a stripper in to help with the investigation and refusing to believe he's a stipper for a while actually [i]is[/i] in character -- he's proven to be very naive in the past.

But his initial refusal to attend a wedding is not well explained -- nor is his subsequent acquiescence. And Natalie's mother's imperious nature is not sufficiently "earned," so to speak. I didn't get the sense that anything significant changed in her when she decided to put the photo of Natalie and Mitch on the piano.

Monk's hijinks are funny as always, but the story isn't up to the standards this show has achieved recently. The bride wasn't sufficiently menacing, there was too much lampoonery in getting Disher to the scene, and too much cruelty in Monk pulling Julie onto the stage to recite a poem she might not be ready with.

Structurally, it was an OK mystery which is generally sufficient.

But the story they wove onto that frame was not up to standards.
  • Natalie's brother gets married.

7.6
    This episode centered around Natalie's brother getting married. This was a great episode as far as character development goes. We learned that Natalie's folks are wealthy; they make toothpaste. When Adrian and Captain Stottlemeyer find out about it, they're shocked; they had no idea about her family's wealth.

Since Natalie was going to attend the wedding, she felt she should have a date, and Lt. Disher was the lucky candidate. After being there for less than a day, he was struck by a car, leaving him laid up in bed with several broken bones.

Adrian and Captain Stottlemeyer arrive to help with the investigation, and after some digging determine the culprit was the bride.

I thought the episode was pretty good. Natalie's family seemed interesting, perhaps they'll be involved in future episodes. The ending was touching.