Monk

Mr. Monk Goes to Jail

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 05, 2004 on USA

• The Missing Organ

Hmmm, let's start with the mystery. I found the "who stole the watch" bit more compelling. It was mildly clever to undermine the show structure by having Sharona do the summation on the run, but it kinda rushed the whole thing.

Other then the opening pat-down sequence, Tony Shalhoub is spot on for the most part, so I suppose we should be thankful he got it out of his system early in the filming. When he's just doing normal Monk stuff, Shalhoub's body language is superb and this episode was no exception, since he had to show how Monk was suffering but repressing it for Trudy's sake.

Bitty Schram didn't have much to do - she probably wanted a break from the previous episode. ;) This was very much a Monk-centric episode and his quest to find out the truth about Trudy's death. It seems Monk's deductive abilities are rubbing off, and the bit where she talked the cook into talking with Monk was good. I'd rather see her do more of that, smoothing over his diplomatic gaffes and working around his OCD, rather then just standing there while he goes through a torturous pat-down sequence.

Ted Levine and Jason Gray-Stanford certainly don't have much to do. I can see why they would take a backseat to Monk and Dale, but Levine's presence seems unnecessary and it seems odd they brought him back for the last episode (assuming they were filmed in sequence) when he wasn't in the second-to-the-last episode.

Dale doesn't really play that big a role in the episode, which might be why Arkin got replaced by Tim Curry. I enjoy Tim Curry, but they didn't give him much to do here and he really doesn't play a very large role in the episode. IMO the Dale character kinda lacked subtlety, but that may have been because he didn't have much screentime to do anything. He neither quite had the same over-the-top grossout factor or the angry-trapped vibe going for him that he did in his first appearance.

Danny Trejo as Spyder gets the "Best Character of the Episode" award. He managed to go from violent to sympathetic pretty readily and believably. Kathy Baker, of Lifetime movies and Picket Fences, really didn't have much to do.

Misc:

"It's all over the radio." Wow, does Disher live in the 1950s or what? "All over the TV" or "All over the Internet," maybe. But "All over the radio"?!? Welcome to the 21st century.

Can't they just _say_ that Monk is in essence handicapped? The opening pat-down sequence just went on way too long, seemed unnecessary, and is another one of those bits where Tony Shalhoub just assumes some weird poses (like in "Gets Married" the episode previously). I'd hate to say that physical comedy isn't Shalhoub's forte, but the show does seem to want to focus on it a bit more and occasionally takes it to an extreme that doesn't seem necessary.

For a place that serves more customers then a major hotel, it seems odd no one was in the cooler all that time - a period of apparently about 8-12 hours at the very least.

Overall, I didn't think much of the mystery but we finally got some movement on the Trudy murder mystery. It shouldn't be resolved too soon, but two seasons is enough to finally get something going.
  • In over 100 episodes, this was one of the worst.

5.5
    For the first time in over 100 watched Monk episodes, I was very disappointed. The premise for the episode wasn't all that bad but everything didn't fit together and (for the first time in Monk history) Tony Shaloubs acting was less then satisfying. The episode felt like it wasn't part of the Monk series, not coming close to a witty and funny plot line. The 'heres what happened' made little sense, and of what did make any sense it was quite pathetic. The setting was the only highlight of the show but it still wasn't up to potential. In over 100 episodes of my viewing (almost all episodes) this was the first Monk goofed up this bad.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show monk its the season 2 final and monk has to go investgate a murder that happend to a death row inmate and to do that he has to pretend he is a inmate himself and he lears that one of the guys knows something but he gets lead down the wrong path by the liberain and turns out that she set the whole thing up so she could have the guy killed to get his organ who had the rare blood type this was a good ep i thougth and he is headed to new york this was a good ep i thought
  • Average Monk material!

7.9
    This episode of Monk is fairly average. It has got some good ideas but I think that they could have made more of it.

The idea of monk going to prison undercover is great. But the realization was unsatisfactory. I mean the episode starts out good when Monk goes to prison and he's being patted down.

The whole idea of putting him into a cell together with the worst guy of the whole prison is also hilarious. However, why would a badass multiple murderer trust Monks so quickly? I mean he is intimidating at first, but then he seems like quite OK, which is not right, if you ask me; to portray a serial killer as if he's an enjoyable contemporary.

All in all I think that this episode had some funny passages but there was more in nit.