Mr. Monk Goes to the Ballgame

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jul 11, 2003 on USA

• An amusing suspence story with much intrigue.

The first shots of this episode are really epic, with the dingling music playing in the background over the sleek, night lights of San Francisco. We know we're in for great ride, but boy... once the stupid GPS tracking announcer drives Lawrence and Darby Hammond to their 'destination', and they get shot, then the silly voice chirps out "Thank you for using the SafeVoyage System, I thought to myself "Yeah, right... whatever you say, .

The character development for Benjy is nice for this episode, and the naked man we see gives us our first taste of how uncomfortable Monk is with Nudity, which later plays out in "Mr. Monk and the Naked Man" (Season 6, Episode 3). Sharona's "Oh, my running gag was quite funny, especially when after five times, they all look at her expecting her to say it a sixth time. The 'Girls Can't Eat 15 Pizzas' clue was neat, and on my last viewing, I couldn't help but notice on my last viewing that when Monk starts saying in detail that it's an acronym: 'G' stands for 'Girls', 'C' stands for 'Can't'... it's almost PRECISELY the way Kevin Dorfman would have replied. Even though he hasn't appeared yet, this shows how alike Adrian and Kevin are.

Great episode, great story.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show monk a murder happens to one of the richest men and his wife they both get killed after they are lead the wrong way to the place there looking to go and turns out that after they investgate it was all over a home record that a man who caught a ball long time ago did not want the record to be brok then the ball would be worthless and that the murders were just tring to through the player off his game and the baseball player teaches benchi how to play ball this was a good ep
  • CEO Lawrence Hammond and his wife are murdered when their GPS system misdirects them to a secluded parking lot.

There are many funny moments in this episode. One is when Mr. Monk visits an art class with a nude male model. Sharona cannot understand his reaction. Hasn’t he seen a naked man before? No. Has he seen himself naked? Once. Priceless! Another moment is Mr. Monk as an umpire for Benjy’s Little League game. He is adamant about keeping the home plate clean. In addition, Captain Stottlemeyer's depiction of the baseball dad was a delight. I enjoy the tension between Mr. Monk and the Captain. With all the funny moments, I forgot to try to "crack" the investigation.

While this was not the strongest episode, I was thoroughly entertained.

Mr. Monk does not disappoint in this one.