Monk

Mr. Monk Is On The Air

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 02, 2007 on USA

• Forgotten Smile

Smiling and Laughing are always the best traits anyone is capable of because they are reflections on the good or best times in life. This episode was more drama than humor. I really liked the conflict between both Monk and Max, let alone the fact that we see both Steven Weber and Tony together again since "Wings", both were my favorate characters in that show. Steven Weber has always been good at playing either good or bad guys, here he plays Max who is a really bad guy that you just hate. In the conflict between Monk and Max I can't help but feel there is sort of a contrast parallel between the two. Max is a guy that is supposedly the funniest man on the radio a person who's carier is based on making people laugh, but by nature it's really just a mask to hide his dark nature. His jokes alone really aren't funny but are actually ment to insult and make fun of other people that in his mind are outsiders or lower than him.

Monk is funny we laugh at and with him not just because of his odd nature but that sometimes we can emphasize with whatever fears or certain ways he does things cause we kinda have that ourselves just at a different level. And also most of us like him our outsiders, from our interests, how we see life, to how we do things these things make us people. I really felt bad for Monk from begining to end of this episode because we just see him getting crap canned left and right from Max and his supporters and Monk doesn't deserve it. That is something I can emphasize with because, I've been a target of ridicule in the past. Why anyone thinks it's so funny or gets sick pleasure to insult another, in the words of Marge Gutherson from "Fargo" "I just don't understand it."

There is even a revelation which is sad when we hear that Monk has never smiled or laughed once in his childhood. It really shows how truly hard he's had it and how elusive smiling and laughing have been for him.

The most intense moment was when Max and Monk were doing a show together, Max's jokes turn from hummulating to just plain hurtful. Max goes way way too far when he brings up the death of Trudy and we see Monk get really mad and almost beat the crap out of Max. I don't blame Monk, what Max said made my blood boil too. But in the end Monk truly does get the last laugh when he puts the joke on Max by solving the case which gave me a good feeling.

But I'll admit those final minutes at the end really made me tear up when we see Monk watch his wedding video, that was the time when he really smiled and laugh and it's a time and feeling that have been taken away from him forever.
  • A radio host is the prime suspect when is wife is murdered, but the problem is that he has the perfect alibi.

6.1
    The scene where Max makes fun of the tragic death of Trudy, i thought was totally out of line and i was cheering for Monk when he dove acros the table and began to punch the guy. I was also cheering for him when he solved the case and Max was taken away in handcuffs. I felt tears coming to my own eyes when at the end of the episode, Monk is watching a video of his wedding day with a sad expression on his face.
  • On the air with flair

Monk investigates the murder of a woman married to a radio star who makes Howard Stern look like Mr. Rogers, while the evidence points to the shock jock Monk is no much for his lethal humour. Overall this episode is hugely effective with good performances and the Monk elements being at their best but the overload of melodrama is a tough pill to swallow. Monk is already a depressing character but watching his torment is heartbreaking.

While the mystery certainly had a promising set - up with the "airtight alibi" factor being the most effective for getting the audience involved, its resolution is more of an "easy way out" than a suitable mystery climax.

The funniest parts of the episode are those that have a semi - serious environment, almost all the interactions between Monk and his cohorts can boast that honor. The radio shtick, not so much because the material is meant to be funny in Monk land, it doesn't translate that way to the audience and the fact that the radio goons supply their own canned laughter by carrying on like schoolkids after every joke just detracts from the humor. There's no point in mentioning Shalhoub's flair at playing Monk anymore, if his performance is anything less than mesmerizing then i'm obviously watching the wrong show. Natalie, Stottlemeyer and Disher hold their own on fairly sketchy stereotypes and must deal with a reduction of screentime and prominence, as the show winds down the focus on Monk can only increase.

Steven Weber is one of the most forgettable villains on Monk, he holds his own as the immature Max Hudson but when in "evil" mode he just relies on dropping his voice to a creepy whisper. Two notable guest stars is Kevin (brother of Chris) Farley who has a similar girth to his brother but the comic appeal is nowhere to be found and Danny (Mickey on Seinfeld) Woodburn whose presence is as easy to miss as he is. Mr. Monk is on the Air is yet another triumph from Monk, one can now oversee the occasional slip - ups and just enjoy the big picture of the show.
  • It doesnt get any better!

So many good aspects to this plot its hard to know where to start. It is your basic breakdown the solid alibi plot. The main angle of interest is the way in which the killer (Max Hudson) eggs on Monk by poking fun at and embarrassing him on air - more than once. As you might expect Monk gets the last laugh in determining the clever convulted way in which the murder took place. The clues are littered throughout the first and middle acts so youll have to pay close attention to keep track of them.

However, this episode should really be watched to see Monk get ridiculed and overcome this weeks nemesis. The finale when he makes Hudson look silly is so satisfying - its worth watching just for that!
  • A talented ensemble

Even though there really wasn't much of a crime mystery angle here, there were two aspects of this episode I loved. The interaction between Steven Weber and Tony Shalhoub was great. Even though you would never guess they had spent years playing pals instead of adversaries, I think that familiarity with each other helped make their scenes together work so well. They could focus on using their acting chops. Secondly, it was amazing the way they handled the additional revelations about his childhood. It is so difficult to mix humor and pathos like that. I wanted to LOL and hug him at the same time. And the contributions by the rest of the cast were just right - it moved really well.
  • Score one for Monk.

A popular radio personality is accused of murdering his wife, but he has the perfect alibi. He was at his job while his wife was murdered. Monk decides the only way to find out how the guy did it was to go on his radio show. As he does, his fears are exploited and made fun of by Max Hudson and his fellow partners. Monk then decides to confront Max and the Goon Platoon at a signing. However, he is also embarrassed as everybody on the line kept calling him "Wipe." Monk eventually gets help from Kevin by providing him with a box of jokes. The jokes are out of date as Monk tries to use them against Max on his radio show. The most outrageous part was when Max made fun of Trudy's death. I felt Monk's anger, and i was cheering when he beat the living daylights out of Max. Tony Shaloub did a great job portraying Monk's emotions of anger and sadness. Eventually he figures out, that while Max had a perfect alibi, he used his neighbor's dog to commit the crime. I felt so bad for Monk in the end as he watched his wedding video. We find out that throughout his childhood he had never smiled or had any fun. Hopefully one day, he will find somethin or someone that will bring some happiness to his life.
  • Jingle me timbers!

Any episode that has Monk jumping a desk and beating on someone is an incredible show!

This was a facinating episode. We got to see Monk early family life. We got to see him try to tell a joke, and we also got to see the depth of Monk's passion and grief for Trudy!

I loved the fact that Monk got the last word over the "shock jock", "you don't look like your laughing now"! How great was that!

Steven Webber is really getting good at playing the heavy. He does a teriffic job on Studio 60, and did a great job here.

I am also liking that they are getting Natilie more involved as his assistant, not just nurse!
  • An exploration of Monk's potential range of emotions; beautifully written and acted.

I love this show to death. Seriously, some of the scenes in some of the episodes are too funny for words. But others, like a few in this episode, are more compelling and filled with deep, intense emotion than anything I have ever watched on television before.

I think we all collectively HATED Max Hudson (Steven J. Weber) at the end of the 2nd radio interview & I was so very happy to see Monk leap over the table and sock the S.O.B. in the mouth for his trouble.

The family videotapes *were* sad... whether you cried or not. They really were.

The end scene of Monk watching his wedding tape and seeing himself laugh was... just bittersweet. Happy and painful, at the same time, as I imagine most of Trudy's memories must be for him.

But the greatest scene in the episode... easily one of the most phenomenal (in my opinion) of the series... is the wrap-up. Once Monk finally proves how Hudson murdered his wife... and any trace of irreverant smirk has left Hudson's face... Monk steps over and says:

Monk: "You're not laughing now... are you? Are you?"
    Hudson: "No. I'm not laughing."
    Monk: "Join the club."

The way he says it. It's masterful. It's acting defined. He doesn't say it all snarky or teasing. He says it as cold as he can... but still so full of emotion. It borders on a icy, vengeful verbal strike... without being vengeful. It's as close to satisfaction as Monk will ever get.

He says this line much in the same way he spoke the last lines in "Mr. Monk Takes Manhattan"... as he is speaking to Warrick Tennyson, the dying man who is revealed to be the one who was hired to plant the carbomb that killed Trudy.

Tennyson: "Forgive me."
    Monk: "Forgive you? This is me, turning off your morphine. (Long pause) And this is Trudy, the woman you killed, turning it back on."

He said both lines in a way that makes the other person realize just how far over the line they went when they harmed him... and makes them feel sorry or guilty to some degree... as if Monk is their conscience, speaking directly to them.

After watching this episode, you may as well give Tony Shaloub the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series every year until this series finishes. (Hopefully not anytime soon!)
  • Extremely well written and acted episode.

I am under the impression that comedy is one of the hardest types of stories one can write, let a lone produce a script that gets people to actual laugh at with the writing rather than at it. Monk has always been a show that blends the comedy and drama extremely well and has been able to create an excellent balance. Ever since th einclusion of Natalie, the show has taken an even more comedic route while managing to take Monk's character down some darker roads, but this episode really shows the character that Monk truly is. A greiving, lonely soul with a few very close friends and colleagues.

Steven Weber is this episodes villian, that ends up managing to kill his wife in a rather ingenious way. I am no really spoiling anything by telling you who the killer is as Monk tends to show you the murderer first thing and then the rest of the show is Monk solving the case. Needless to say, Steven Weber's character is a Howard Stern like Shock Jock who meets Monk on the air after Monk is approached by the wife's sister, who believes that Weber's characer is responsible. The on air escapades are hysterical as is the next 30 or so minutes of the show. Monk takes joking insult after insult and feels like hes back in school, but he manages to approach Weber's character again on the air, prepared this time with some jokes, to try to prove that he can be funny as well, and can dish out insults too, but thats when this episode takes a huge turn from comedy to drama, and not that I am complaining. The seen is so well acted, but without really getting to into it, its a must see scene that involves a Weber's character using Trudy as a punch line. With the exception of this one scene, the entire episode is really hysterical. Howard Stern like shock jockery (is that a word? :D) combined with Monk's OCD and maneurisms do alot for this episode, and closing it off with such a powerful moment really made this episode great. Best episode ive seen this season in my opinion.
  • Poor Monk

I could not believe Monk actually got on the air with millions of people listening but he does whatever it takes to solve a crime. I was sorry to see that a murderer could use a dog that was not even his to help him murder his wife.
    I felt so sorry for Monk seeing how his childhood was. His parents were not very good parents for putting their children through what they did. Every family at least has some good times and laughs in their lives but not the Monk's. I was happy at the end to see at least Trudy made him laugh and if nothing else that was a happy time in his life. I did not like to see the dj making fun of Trudy's death. Monk had every right to attack but I am sure there are people that are that heartless in the real world. Another great Monk episode!
  • Not the dog

the dog was the murder in a true party no no no *cries* why must the good be evil.Wow so far totally awesome was it not i am so hateful to the radio dj max how dare he make fun of trudy that is just so disrespect full.Wow all i can say is the most interesting epi of monk and please excuse me well i convince my dogs to learn jiggle me timbers.no hopefully after yelling that the dogs will be quit not going to well oh well again the bestest epi ever and wasn't monks childhood depressing.
    Wheaton Out monk forever and ever
    MONKISH