Monk

Mr. Monk's Favorite Show

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Aug 07, 2009 on USA

• Monk meets his favorite TV star and gets drafted to be her bodyguard.

This is a yawner. Some of it was for the first show in the last season they should have at least given us something well done. The writing was subpar, the comedy was worse, very little real Monk character except the obsessive.
    If this what we have to look ahead to in the next 15 episodes they should have stopped a season or so ago.
    What happened here? Where did the good scripts and comedy go? Maybe they should hire Monk to find it.
    The rest of the cast just phoned it in, what a real disappointment. Some shows make recoveries after bad starts, Stargate Atlantis started off bad in the last season and finished strong, we can only hope that the writers read more blogs telling them to give us something good for a change.
  • The eighth season premiere.

Season eight of Monk is upon us, and if this episode is any indication, the last year should be a good one. The premiere marked a return to form for the USA Network original series as the plot was good, there were numerous laughs and Tony Shalhoub is as strong and great in his role as ever.

As a fan of old sitcoms I loved the plot here, especially the clips from the Cooper Clan and with Adrian Monk dressed up as a Greg Brady lookalike. The one glaring flaw was Weeds' Elisabeth Perkins guest starring, but I won't write too much about that as you can just read any of my reviews for that program to hear about it.

Call me a Monk fan again, but let us hope things only get better from here.
  • better than expected yes the mystery part was predictable but Elizabeth Perkins as guest star more than makes up for it and the rest of the episode was great

I was pleasantly surprised by how much i liked this ep. Most of the reviewers here seemed to not like it too much but I found that it was one of the better ones in a long time. Nathalie's character was enjoyable again - i don't know why but she was getting on my nerves last season and some how it seemed fresh between them again. Monk meeting up with this former child star of a tv show which was his fantasy surrogate family growing up was very cute and worked with Monk's character really well and there was an excellent dream sequence. Randy wasn't over the top this time either thankfully and the Captain too was downplayed more than last season to good effect. I think good comedy needs a little restraint especially dramedy and they were lacking that last season but it's there again, resulting in i think a much better tone that promises well for the season.
  • Mr. Monk and the Beginning of the End

Something strange happened with the final season premiere of Monk. "Mr. Monk's Favorite Show" comes bearing a ridiculous, gimmicky plot and, by all means, should've been as forgettable as your average recent-season episode of the show. But, at some point, this episode decided that it didn't want to suck after all. The result is a pleasant surprise with above average writing that, while not a classic, puts the episode ahead of the majority of installments from the past couple seasons.

"Favorite Show" concerns the attempted murder (or so it seems) of a former child star, Christine Rapp, known for her work on The Cooper Clan, a Brady Bunch-esque show that Monk apparently has a creepily huge obsession with. It's always weird when shows introduce character quirks in later seasons that are supposedly major, yet they've never been seen before (and probably won't be again). Just because it's a fairly widespread practice doesn't mean it isn't still jarring whenever it happens. (At least that show's tone fits with Monk's established sense of humour, or lack thereof. A guy who thinks Marmaduke is pure brilliance would probably also love this.)

Of course, because the show apparently believes that all television stars are murderers (see "Mr. Monk and the TV Star" and "Mr. Monk's 100th Case"), things take a fairly predictable turn as Rapp herself is revealed as the guilty party. To its credit, the episode does a slightly better job of setting this up than most of what we've seen in recent episodes which feature either glaringly obvious or non-existant clues, but it's still a pretty lackluster mystery, and the ultimate clue that helps Monk tie everything together, a lone scene from an old episode of The Cooper Clan, seems especially flimsy. (It doesn't help that Elizabeth Perkins as Rapp doesn't make for a terribly interesting killer.)

But what this episode lacks plot-wise, it somewhat makes up for with its clever writing, featuring some of the most effective comedy the show has seen in several seasons. I actually found myself laughing out loud on a couple occasions, which is a pretty rare occasion for this series. I especially have to commend the fantasy summation scene, featuring Monk in an episode of The Cooper Clan, for not being the stupid, bloated mess it easily could've been - kudos to writer Jack Bernstein for not going completely over the top.

Monk will never return to the greatness it experienced in the first several seasons, but it's nice to see that they seem to be putting actual effort into the creation of the final season. If "Favorite Show" is any indication, perhaps this show can go out on a decent note after all.
  • This episode is the reason I watch Monk. It was suspenseful, funny, and true to character.

The obsessive compulisve detective is obsessed with the female star of a Brady Bunch-esque character. Lo and behold, he gets the opportunity to serve as her bodyguard. The plot is your basic Monk mystery, with enough twists and turns to keep your interest. The comedy was superb, especially the summation, where Monk finds himself inside his favorite TV show. I'm not sure what show some of the other reviewers were watching, but as a faithful Monk watcher for eight seasons, I'd put this episode right up there with any other episode, except for maybe Mr. Monk is on the Run.
  • Monk gets to meet his childhood TV-Idol who has just published a all-revealing book and is now beeing stalked and terrorised by a crazy fan.

While I like Monk and his little issues I found it very hard to believe, that he would have such a huge obsession on a TV series and have never before mentioned a word. But, alas, thats the reality of episodic TV shows.

My biggest issue with this episode was the plot which was totally see-through. I kept hoping that the TV star was NOT the culprit and that it was NOT a sceme of hers to get to murder someone without having to fear the police. It was totally "been there, saw that" for me.

What I liked were the little allusions to an old TV show which - I guess without having seen an episode of it - was "The Brady Bunch" (the title for the ficticious show "Cooper Clan" was sort of a giveaway). The jury for me is still out on a verdict when it comes to the revelation in the end.

All in all the episode was quite disappointing an among the worst of Monk I've ever seen. I do hope the season gets better.
  • A tv star just published a book, the book insults many, and has R-Rated content. The book is thought to be a motive for the person who keeps sending her threatening letters, and the person who tried to blow up her car. Monk is hired to be her bodyguard.

I've seen better.

The episode was a disappointment for me, the most annoying thing was Monk. He was not himself in this episode -- when he was investigating the car bomb scene, he didn't take it seriously, he just wanted to be with the his favorite child hood tv star. Being that she, and the suspects involved in the crime are from his favorite tv series, he doesn't stay focused, and is obsessed with talking with them, and watching the series. The Plot was suspenseful, but it wasn't hard to figure out. But they way he wrapped it up (here's what happened), was totally random. His brief concussion put him on his tv series, and seemed like it was taking up time.

I hope the last 15 episodes of the series are better than this episode.