USA (ended 2009)

Monk Fan Reviews (344)

• This show is retarted.

I get crime dramas are popular with your CSI's and Law & Orders; but this is just painfully a bad show with horrible actors in it. Monk is about a man thats a detective that solves cases. I'd love to know who in the world is Tony Shalhoub which plays the detective this stupid show.
  • Not so good!

Appropriately, "Monk" is USA's lead-in for the highly superior dramedy The two shows are both billed as mystery comedies, but that's about all the similarities between them. While "Psych" is a clever and original show that does fresh and funny things every week, "Monk" is an unintelligent show that ran out of fresh and funny things after the first few episodes. You have Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk, the "defective detective," who is far too OCD for his own good. You have Bitty Schram (older episodes) and Traylor Howard (newer episodes) as his assistants, who put up with the worst out of him just because of his intelligence (as far as IQ goes; not emotional intelligence). Then you have the cases every week, which I think are always murder investigations. The point is, there's only so many things you can do with that when you refuse originality. The same holds true for the obsessive-compulsive jokes that come pouring out of this show like moviegoers from a Rob Zombie flick. Moments are funny (some in scattered episodes even verge on hilarious), but if you want a terrific show, stick with
  • This show is so dry and slow I don't see how they put it on the air to start with. Who wants to watch some nut who is nuts

This show is for the dogs. I can't stand it when he starts into his little act when something is not to his liking. He acts like he is insecure to deal with the problem of life and things that are going on around him. The way he acts I don't see how he makes it to the bath room, if he was in a coma from an accident then they should rein duce it and put him in a room all by his self. The program is so back I can't write the min. words for the review. Know what I mean Vern
  • i just dont get it

this show has no plot to it.i try watching it and getting into it but i just cant.something about that guy just doesnt agree with me.they could have @ least made him cute.after all thats what hollywood is all about these days.fake boobs and fake acting.i\\\\\\\'m sorry but im just not up to watchin something that doesnt spark my personal interests.

This show doesn\'t quite add up. Most of the time the main character Monk is solving these casing with guesses that are irrational and impossible.The humor in Monk is understandable, but watching an ocd detective just isn\'t funny.
    I would not reccomend this show becuase it just isn't funny and makes no sense. It also is quite annoying and unexplainable. Watching this show is wasting your time.
  • Monk bumps his head while trying to get more evidence pertaining to his late wifes trudys murder. He than wakes up a day later in a small town in wyoming and can not remember who he is and how he got there.

This episode was truely disappointing and is a fine example as to why i can not stand Natalie. First of all why would natalie even leave him alone in tne first place? shes suppose to be his assistant and with him every second no matter what he says or does. Remember in the season 2 episode mr monk and the missing granny how when Monk was suppose to meet someone alone in the library sharona showed up and told him that was as alone as he was gonna get? Thats what Natalie should have done, and to make it worse she tried and failed miserable to try to make it seem as if she was terrible ahsamed at the fact that she left Monk alone but yet freaked out when the cpt. wouldnt tell her it was not her fault....of course it was her fault she should not have left him alone....The episode on a whole was bland...i mean why would cora pretend to be his wife out of nowhere....and wouldnt people be suspicious of the fact that cora is not wearing a ring yet monk is(his wedding band he always wears)?The end was just thrown at you and made no sense! Bottom Line bring back sharona(Bitty)and save the show.
  • I love Monk, BUT! I was really disappointed with tonights episode. It was not funny nor cute. I don't understand why they had to show so much nudity; really disgusting.

The episode for Fri. July 27th was disgusting. The show has been pretty good until tonight. I don't understand why television has gotten so disgusting. Why does there have to be so much sex and nudity. I thought that it was a family show, but not anymore! Won't be watching it anymore. There is so little decency in television anymore. There are also so many shows that are really stupid and shouldn't even be on tv. I have really enjoyed watching Monk until this epsiode and I was really disappointed that it was so disgusting. I can remember when you would never see a mans butt on tv, very little of a woman's, but never ever a man unless it was R rated or above. I think that it is disgusting that there could be kids watching Monk and they are subjecting to the nudity that was on this episode. I won't be watching it anymore.
  • Monk is great.

I have only seen Monk a few times but every time I have seen it, it has been great. Monk is about an ex Police Officer Adrian Monk who has a great photographic memory. The first episode I saw was Monk Goes To The Theatre and it was brilliant. Well Done
  • this show is so stupid...

I hate this show. It's so dumb and predictable. And why does it seem like his stupid "phobias" or "obessive compusive" problems happen with the lamest consequenses?? At least make them funny (they're not) or make them a serious issue! The way it is now, the show just makes Monk look like a moron. I have no idea why this show is so popular. I think it's for stupid people. And the world is over run with them so...
  • Ever since Sharona left, this show hhas been going downhill.

This episode was one of the worst ones that I have ever seen on Monk. The first half hour was sheer torture as Monk tried to survive a rock concert, engaging in his usual humor. Then there is the whole stupid porta-potty thing where the camera just focused on the portapotty for a whole minute untill monk emerged. The mystery was lame, and was written poorly. The whole father son thing that the episode was about was horribly cheesy. The crime was stupid, and easily solved througha series of improbable hints. The guitar string thing, the whole thing was just stupid. Whatever happened to High profile cases. Like last week was a good episode. But this one focused way too much on his tired-phobia humor, and not enough on the mystery. They really need some new writers, or a new direction, because its got tired fast. I remember one of the first episodes ever, perhaps the series premeire, that was high profile, and challenged him as a detective. it involved us with the trudy thing, and had some amazingly great moments, such as the funeral scene with his keys. That was good original humor and mystery, but now its just gotten tired.
  • Original and funny show about a former detective with the San Francisco Police who has lost his way due to his wife's death and extreme OCD. Mr. Shalhoub conveys rare insight and charm as Monk, which is humorous but not insulting to those who may s

Monk was once one of the best shows on television. Original and funny with great characters. The mental illness was handled with rare insight and didn't insult people with mental illness.

Then someone made the stupid decision to let Bitty Schram go and the show began to lose its way. Now we have to have Monk constantly irritating us with maudlin memories of the dead wife. I just lose interest when that tired and boring story line is inserted once again into the episode. The other main characters are now reduced to mere walk ons. And worse of all, Sharona is gone and replaced with a talentless girl who is as boring as she is pointless to the story.

If only the writers would pull out a DVD of the first season of Monk and watch the excellent show that Monk used to be. Watch the interplay of Monk and Sharona and Stottlemyer. Watch Monk's reaction to the world of germs and children and everything. Leave out Trudy (the dead wife).

Write some good scripts. No more dead wife memories, better treatment for the established characters, and no more Natalie. Please. If Monk has to have some women around, can't the man date once in a while? That seems to open up some funny possibilites. And we wouldn't have to hear about Trudy ever again.

It is really sad to write all this because I used to love this show. I miss the charm of the first season. I miss Sharona. I miss Monk. The way he used to be.
  • After the murder of his wife, Detective Adrian Monk turns obsessive-compulsive and picks up a whole lot of phobias as well. His condition, however, allows him to pick up details others can't.

The first time I watched Monk, I fell in love with the series. Well, who wouldn't? As far as I recall, no detective has ever declined to give chase to a villain for fear of dirtying his shoes, or asking another detective to retreive some piece of evidence because he might get grease on his hands. And of course, it's just as amusing when his condition actually helps him to solve murders and catch crooks and stuff. However, after some time(about a few months) the novelty began to wear off. There wasn't anything new to keep me watching it. Soon, I stopped watching altogether. This may happen to you a lot later or earlier depending on how much you liked the show at first sight. Watching a detective cringe at such things like dust or dirt at the crime scene may, at first, but soon there's just too much of Monk's obsessive-compulsiveness to actually get the detective part of the story underway. About 50% of the show is mostly Monk being...well, Monk. In my opinion, that's just too much. I would recommend this show to my friends, of course, and I know they'll love it, but soon they'll probably going to start switching channels-sooner or later.

Bottom line is that anybody who loves a good whodunnit would eat Monk up, but probably won't stick to it any longer than two seasons. Three on the outside.
  • A disappointing plotline

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE Monk. That said. . .
    An evil twin? An evil TWIN? Please!!! Is this daytime TV or an emmy-award-winning show?
    As always, the quality of the acting was superb. But I had some problems with aspects of the plot. First, of course, the basic premise. Second, do you really think that a husband could be tricked also? I would think that there would be something that would strike a person as strange if someone else were impersonating his wife. Third, why did the good twin just sit there in the tub and allow the evil twin to drown her? Finally, who would wear high, spiked heels to drag a drugged woman into a bathroom and then haul her into a tub? Your sensible murderess wears flats!
  • It's basically about this former police man who losted his job due to his wifes death causin him to have O.C.D. now he works as a detecive. he always solves every crime, usually just randomly!

I really enjoy this. its the things that his O.C.D drives him to do that will make you laugh. It's not the kind of thing that you would watch on out of your own choice but once you see it you can't wait till the next one. its a family kinda of thing, i watch it with my mother. i think its a kind of modern-ish dectective programme. he's a good actoe and plays the part well. i won't miss it too much when its over, its just something to watch during the week day afternoon. i think i just got addicted to it! :s
  • Sharona, come back!

I liked Sharona because she was no nonsense. You never thought that there was a chance she and Monk were going to hook up, so where they would torment eachother, they each gave as good as they got. With this Natalie person, you see where this is going and it seems needlessly cruel when Monk behaves selfishly. Also, Stottlemeyer and Randy used to be more than just Monk's stooges. Now neither of them have much of a personality. Whenever anything happens, they don't try to do anything themselves, they just call Monk. I know the show is all about him (His name is the title, for goodness sakes!), but he is much less interesting because the people around him are not interacting with him and forcing him into uncomfortable situations. I really don't like the show anymore. At least Sharona provided some kick.
  • Cute show, but not a steady diet

I can watch this show occasionally, but not seriously for every episode. If you need a filler show that's not too heavy, and might tickly your funny bone, then this is a nice diversion. The first season seemed to be the best, but it's pretty good, still. Try it, you might like it.
  • What?!

Personally, I'm pissed. But, in truth, the blame lies with USA. I haven't been a regular Monk viewer since Sharona left but I was really amped by the idea that progress would be made in Trudy's case. And that is what every commercial I saaw for this episode led me to believe would happen. Yes, the murder cases were interesting enough but, come on! Give us something! And since when is Harold that much of a dick. No, I never liked him, but having him act as if he'd dance on Trudy's grave just to aggravate Monk is damn near ridiculous.
  • This episode deals with Monk attempting to save the parking garage where his wife was murdered years earlier.

I am guessing the uncritical reviews are due to the fact that only the hard core fans are left watching the show. It pains me to watch this once great show abandon the qualities that had made it what it was, character development, quality plots, and the abilities of its actors. The show now relies on cheap jokes and 5 minute scenes of Monk's OCD. The Stottlemeyer and Disher characters are basically props and add nothing to the episodes. I only watch Monk because I am waiting for Psych which has more character development, funny lines, and creativity in 15 mins than Monk has for a whole episode.
  • It was good for the first season But...

It was good for the first season but after about the third one it just went downhill fast. Its still pretty good theres a little action NO romance NO suspense its kinda a given that the bad guy is not going to winn but if you bored i guess its the show to watch
  • The show without Sharona Fleming is not as good. I like Traylor Howard, but not the Natalie character. I watched every episode & gave her a chance. The show is just not as good.

Monk is one of my favorite shows, but the show has declined since the exit of Bitty Schram.
    Mr. Monk and the kid is a prime example.
    The lovable character of Adrian Monk would NEVER roll around in the grass with a child. The writers seemed to forget the main character has OCD.
    Without Bitty, the writers are going to great lenghts to make the show "different", and ruining it in the process.
    Once a show i'd stay home for, it's just not anymore.
    Sorry Tony Shaloub, when you lost Bitty, the dynamics of the show suffered.
  • A good detectibe show.

Thisis a decent show, it's even slightly funny at times. I don't quite understand his obsession with everything being clean though, very strange to be a copper and have that obsession. This is one of the many shows I enjoyed watching when I was little, a good programme for sitting down with your family to watch.

I don't watch this show anymore as it is never on, but i'll remember the good old television programmes I used to watch, this being one of them. A fairly decent detective show which will be in my childhood television memories.
  • Awkward.

I have to say this show has some decent acting, but at times can be a bit on the awkward. The drama on the show is good, but I find myself a bit bored at times. Watching Monk is a trip in its own right. I think it is rather unique in the fact that you don't see as many quarky characters like Monk. The storylines are a little out there, but for the most part, it is fun. The one thing I do not like at all is the fact that it can be compelling one week and then really slow the next. Oh well. Thank you.
  • A great detective show , good comedy and fun - exciting for sure.

I love watching Mr.Monk ... we don't have that many good detective stories nowadays ... what we have is all hi-tech crime busting , forensics and / or fantasy based shows. Mr.Monk is very much down to earth and human character - even though with extreme oddities. The characters do not have any glamor - nor the main character , neither the supporting ones - the heroes, villains or the episodes and yet , we get to watch some nice detective work enacted by a great actor and comdedian - Tony Shaloub. I have not followed all the seasons / episodes dedicatedly , but I have watched many of them. Most certainly i like watching the curious habits the character has, as well the episode wise plots as well the longer storyline. Definitely watchable and lovable show .
  • Often heart breaking story about a troubled ex-police officer whose wife's death affected him in many ways.

ive just gotten into this show. my friend's mum persuaded me to give it a chnace and i am glad i did. i thought this show was for the older generation only but i really do find this show to be an enjoyable experience. tony shaloub is great in this role. it feels like a throw back to those detective dramas of the 1980s in a way, where you'd sit down and try to figure it all out with them, though of course you never did. this show makes me wanna keep on trying to figure it all out. the rest of the cast are great too. i do realise that replacing one of the main characeters can be to the detriment of a show but i feel that monk has pulled it off, and has a great cast of comedic performers. maybe ill change my mind and rate it hibhger in the future but im quite stingy in allocating my praise.
  • I used to love the show, but this last season was just not funny.

I've loved Monk for years, I buy the DVDs, root for Tony Shaloub for awards, and have spent more Friday nights at home watching it then I'll admit to most people. This last season, it seemed a little stale to me. Nothing seemed really fresh and it just wasn't as much bun to watch it. I actually got to the point where I was watching it for Psych vs the other way round like the previous season. I don't know if I'm even going to bother with that next season. I can't really put my finger on what's changed, but its not funny anymore. I still watch the older episodes, but maybe Monk has had its time and needs to die gracefully? I don't know, maybe it'll get better.
  • An ex-detective as a consultant working with the SFPD has a bad case of OCD- Worsend by the death of his wife.

SHOW DESCRIPTION:After the unsolved murder of his wife, Adrian Monk developed obsessive-compulsive disorder -- a terrifying and irrational fear of germs and contamination. His condition cost him his job as a prominent homicide detective on the San Francisco police force. He continues to solve crimes with the help of his new nurse, Natalie, and his former boss, Leland Stottlemeyer.

BRIEF HISTORY:Show creators David Hoberman ("Raising Helen," "Bringing Down the House," "The Negotiator, "George of the Jungle") and Andy Breckman ("Saturday Night Live," "Letterman," "Rat Race") executive produce, along with Tony Shalhoub and Randy Zisk ("Gideon's Crossing," "NYPD Blue"). Fern Field ("Kane & Abel," "Heartsounds") serves as co-executive producer and Tom Scharpling as supervising producer.
    STARS: * Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk * Ted Levine as Leland Stottlemeyer * Traylor Howard as Natalie * Jason Gray-Stanford as Randall Disher
  • Outstanding show!

Although I don't get to watch this show as often as I would like, I would have to say that this is one of the better shows on today. Monk is a hilarious character and the story lines aren't bad either. Anyone who hasn't ever watched Monk should definately give it a try.
  • Considering "Monk," or, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!

When "Monk" premiered in 2002, it was (pardon the cliche) a breath of fresh air in the TV world. For what seemed the first time in ages, we had an intelligent mystery series that was genuinely funny (not in the groaner sense of whodunits like "Diagnosis Murder"), and perhaps most importantly it boasted a lead performance by an actor equally adept at comedy and drama and who understood the balance between the two. Give him solid scripts and a standout supporting cast, and you have "Monk."

The first two seasons of this show were perfection. The stories were tight and well-constructed and there was a precise balance of the comedic and dramatic elements of the series. Adrian Monk was depicted as an heir to Columbo and Sherlock Holmes (though the phobic Monk has more in common with Holmes' brother Mycroft); he was a detective underestimated by his peers and especially by his prey. There was great satisfaction in watching smarmy murderers (Gary Cole, Billy Burke, Andrew McCarthy, among others) see that they had been caught by this little man they regarded with contempt and pity. "Monk" was also able to mix up its formula, doing "who" and "howdunits," and even an episode with no murder at all.

Season 3 for me was the point where the show began a downward spiral. Not all of the blame can be laid on Traylor Howard and the Natalie character, because this show was producing stinkers before Bitty Schram left ("Takes Manhattan," "Panic Room," and "Blackout" were abysmal.) Captain Stottlemeyer barely has any screen time now, and when he does it's with his awful new gal pal (why oh why did they drop Glenne Hedley??). Randy is now a full-blown moron. And Monk...well, Monk is dumb. Before, he was a brilliant man fighting valiantly against his disability. Now, he's a boob. The slightest thing sets him off; he is immature and irrational.

Therein lies the problem. The writers have steered the show more towards comedy than mystery. Seasons 4 and 5 had a few strong episodes that seemed to temporarily recapture the magic of the show's early days ("Astronaut" and "On the Air" spring to mind) but now the show is a shell of itself. Tony Shalhoub has hinted that this current season may be the show's last, and I would not be heartbroken to see it go at this point. I love watching the Season 1 and 2 episodes on DVD and hope that the subsequent seasons do not tarnish the memory of the show.
  • Ok new assistant isn't that good but still good show.

Not as good as before. Sharona Fleming(I don't know her real name) was much better then the other assistant. Also you can see that they are running out of ideas. Sometimes it is really predictable what they are going to do but it's still fun to watch. Adrian Monk never gets old. Captain Stottlemyer (however you spell it) is still cool. Natalie Teeger I don't like so much. Randy Disher, my favorite of all, is one of the funniest guys there. I personally think they should stop making seasons like only 2 or 3 episodes long. It should be more like 5 or 6 episodes at least.

~Priest Ohm~
  • Mr. Monk is, Quite Ironically, Highly Uneven

It's really weird to see this series go. "Monk" is one of the first shows I became genuinely emotionally invested in, way back when I was 12, and even as the series developed an increasingly annoying style in later seasons, I still made a habit of tuning in every Friday night. It was one of those comforting constants in life, one of those things I could consistently depend on to be there, one of those stabilizing factors I came to rely on more than I'd expected. Even if, objectively, eight seasons was a few too many for a great show that just couldn't maintain its high standards in the later years. (I fully expect some disagreement on that.)

Our protagonist, Adrian Monk, is a fascinating character. More than just another detective show, the series chronicles the life of an essentially broken man trying to claw his way out of the emotional abyss, something pretty much everyone can relate to in some way. (Being a person with a variety of problems interacting with the outside world myself, I've always felt a particularly strong kinship with the character.) To quote Stottlemeyer in "Mr. Monk and the End, Part One": "I'd always thought that Monk was not all there, like there was something missing, like he was less than human. But he wasn't missing anything. He was seeing more than anybody. He was feeling more than anybody. That was his problem. He was too human." And that's what makes the character so charming.

Unfortunately, the show's later seasons, despite being more character-driven by nature, seemed to have a hard time balancing the elements that make up Monk, painting a character who's just quirky for the sake of being quirky, with little of the sympathetic bits that made the character so enthralling. Season seven, in particular, inexplicably portrays the character as a fundamentally mean-spirited jerk, horribly mistreating Natalie in "Mr. Monk on Wheels" and verbally abusing the woman who just helped him save Trudy's parking garage in "Mr. Monk Fights City Hall". Still, even in the darkest of times, the performance of Tony Shalhoub is always terrific, at least, salvaging the weird characterizations as best he can.

The supporting cast is also above average, with the brilliant-but-sadly-underused Ted Levine as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer being a particular standout, wonderfully portraying the gradual shift from exasperation to deep friendship with Monk. Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Disher has his moments, especially early on, but later in the series he's written way too over-the-top in his buffoonery, becoming a character whom one barely believes could tie his shoes, let alone handle actual policework. Traylor Howard is adequate as Natalie Teeger, doing as well as she can with what is a fairly uninteresting character. If you couldn't tell, I prefer Bitty Schram in the role of Monk's assistant - her polar opposite chemistry with Adrian makes for a far more interesting partnership.

The first three seasons of this show, especially the second, are classic, among the best television ever produced. "Mr. Monk and the Three Pies" is pretty much the pinnacle of the series, introducing Adrian's brother (and Mycroft Holmes analogue) Ambrose, played expertly by John Turturro, with a story that masterfully balances comedy and drama. But then things started to go wrong, as the writers began to ditch the show's slightly dark detective show roots and move in a tackier, sitcom-esque direction. Some fans apparently liked this, but I am not one of them. It's not that I don't like super-goofy comedy (for instance, I'm also a fan of "Psych"), but it just doesn't work in this series. The clever mysteries that had been the backbone of the series gradually fell by the wayside, as ridiculous plots began to take center stage. Season seven is the arguable low point, featuring plots that involve identical twins and hypnosis.

And that's why it's so hard to come up with a single rating for the series as a whole. For as often as this series achieves pure brilliance (other highlights include "Mr. Monk and the Candidate", "Mr. Monk is On the Run", and "Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month" - if you haven't seen them yet, stop dilly-dallying and see them already!), it also achieves flat-out mediocrity with obnoxious frequency (episodes like "Mr. Monk and the Three Julies" and "Mr. Monk and His Biggest Fan" - steer clear!). It's one of my favourite shows, but it certainly isn't a perfect show, and that's an important distinction. "Monk" holds a very special place in my heart, even if there are quite a few episodes I'll skip when I sit down for a DVD marathon. Because when this show actually does fire on all cylinders, it makes sifting through all the less than appealing bits worthwhile.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10