The Monkees

NBC (ended 1968)

sounddude

The Monkees Fan Reviews (18)

• The Monkees...the classic sitcom which gave not only television, but popular music a great, big breath of fresh air.

I remember first seeing The Monkees TV show in a marathon on MTV back in late February 1986 (to coincide with the group's 20th anniversary) along with my sister @ our grandmother's. Those live-action cartoon SFX, those musical numbers...boy, they sure had a profound effect on me. (I remember thinking to myself, "I could swear I'd seen this before"!) They virtually (and still do!) got rich off me, as, in the 14+ years since, I squandered the lot purchasing and collecting LPs, audiocassettes, CDs, books, cards, videocassettes, magazine articles and TV Guide listings of original firstrun episodes of The Monkees on NBC (the last 2 items in the form of xeroxed photocopies). I also have been a proud subscriber to The Monkee Business Fanzine for its last 8 years. My favorite Monkees album is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.. My favorite Monkees songs are "Randy Scouse Git", "For Pete's Sake", "Star Collector," "She Hangs Out" (Part 2), "Tear The Top Right Off Of My Head," "Tear Drop City," and "I Don't Think You Know Me". My favorite episodes of The Monkees are "Mijacogeo" (a.k.a. "The Frodis Caper"), "The Monkees On The Wheel", "Art For Monkee's Sake", "I've Got A Little Song Here", "The Monkees Mind Their Manor", "The Monkees In Paris" (a.k.a. "The Paris Show"), "Monkee Chow Mein", "Monkees Marooned", "The Monkees In Manhattan" (a.k.a "The Monkees Manhattan Style") and "It's A Nice Place To Visit...". Years of collecting film and TV data on The Monkees led to my 1997 creation of The Monkees Film & TV Vault @ http://members.tripod.com/~ahiii/monkeesfilmTV.html , a web site which pays strict, specific attention to facts and figures of The Monkees' original unaired 1965 pilot episode, all 58 episodes of their 1966-68 NBC-TV series (right down to the original summer repeats!), their 1968 Columbia Picture HEAD, their 1969 NBC-TV special 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee, and their 1997 ABC-TV special, Hey, Hey It's The Monkees, and it includes a listing of all 4 seasons of The Monkees' repeats on CBS and ABC Saturday Afternoon from 1969-73, transcripts to original Monkees episode interview segments (which I liberated via cached copies from the late, unlamented Monkees Pad page off Internet Archives), transcripts and WAV soundfiles to The Monkees' commercial sponsor tags for Kellogg's, Yardley Of London and Kool-Aid, and a transcript of the 1995 Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza commercial with ex-Beatle Ringo Starr. Check it out! In any case, MONKEEMANIA!
IFC