The Monkees

NBC (ended 1968)

DennisKytasaari

The Monkees Fan Reviews (18)

• Keeping in mind that when I watched these when they originally aired I was just a 12-14 year old girl . . .

I LOVED this show! I LOVED the Monkees! Do you realize how difficult it is for me to confess this now?

I knew even back then that they were a "put together" group, but that didn't matter to me. The group and the show was just what I needed at this time of my life.

My favorite Monkee was Mike Nesmith. I loved his guitar playing talents and adored that accent of his. Maybe that's one of the reasons I love Country Music today.

Looking back at the show 40 years later it's easy to say it was just fluff and contrived. But think about it. Those shows were "Music Videos" way before MTV was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

I can remember taking pop bottles back to stores for money (recycling 60s style) and using any birthday money I received to buy every vinyl album they put out. One time I even splurged and got one of their albums in STEREO. Yes that's how music was available back then, vinyl and either Mono or Stereo. And also back then (for some strange reason the eludes me now) you were either a Beatles fan or a Monkees fan.

To this day I'm grateful for this TV show getting me through this turbulent time in my life, especially the assassination of another idol of mine back then, Bobby Kennedy.