The Monkees

The Devil and Peter Tork

Aired Monday 7:30 PM Feb 05, 1968 on NBC

• While visiting a pawn shop owned by a man named Mr. Zero, Peter spots a harp which he wants to buy, but has no money. Mr. Zero has Peter sign a contract for the harp. Peter does not realize that he just sold his soul to Satan himself.

The second and final season of "The Monkees" produced two of the best episodes of the series. The first being "The Christmas Show" and the second being "The Devil and Peter Tork." In this episode we see something not seen in any previous episode: Peter giving a dramatic performace and playing the straight man. In doing so, he gives his best performance of the series. Michael Nesmith also gives his best performance of the series. Michael's cross examination of Mr. Zero is his crowning achievement. The final courtroom scene of Peter playing the harp will tug at your heart strings.
  • Peter Tork accidentally sells his soul to the Devil; Mike tries to win it back.

I have very early memories of watching "The Monkees" with my older siblings (I was born in 1964) and I still have all my original albums (actually, one of my siblings wrote that I was a fan of the Monkees in my baby book!). I catch reruns whenever I can, and am trying to get the series on DVD.

That all said, this was, is, and always will be, my favorite episode. The harp solo of "I Wanna Be Free" is beautiful, and you're not too distracted by Peter's "finger-synching". Besides, Peter Tork was always my favorite Monkee, so a dramatic (for the series) episode featuring him is a pleasant plus.

I will probably always love "The Monkees", Peter Tork, and this episode.
  • The series at its best

"The Devil and Peter Tork" is my favorite episode of the series for several reasons. To begin with, it's cleverly put together and comes naturally out of the idea of the four Monkees as musicians. It also makes nice use of the Peter character's naivete and sincerity. It puts frequent guest star Monte Landis in perhaps his most villainous role of the series, and he plays it perfectly. The episode makes good use of the Nesmith song "Salesman" in its romp, and good use of Nesmith himself in the courtroom scene. The in-jokes about the censorship of the word "hell" are certainly noteworthy. But the thing that makes this the quintessential Monkees episode for me is that it sums up one of the main themes of the series as a whole--the centrality of the music in the characters' (not to mention the actors') lives. It's the one episode that actually tugs at the heartstrings a little without getting maudlin.