The Monkees

The Monkees in a Ghost Town

Aired Monday 7:30 PM Oct 24, 1966 on NBC

• When the Monkees find themselves in the stuck in a ghost town the think they are down on their luck. However, that's not even the start of it. Not only are they stranded in a ghost town they find themselves in the middle of a secret money ring.

This episode has the Monkees getting into more trouble than they can handle. I love how Micky keeps coming up with one idea after another to help them escape, but unfortunatly none of them work. However, Micky and Peter still look pretty cut in their ganster outfits, so that's a plus. :)

It was great to see Rose Marie in this episode, as well. I love The Dick Van Dyke Show and loved her character on it as the hilarious Sally Rogers. It is great to see that she can still be funny no matter what character she plays.

While this isn't my favorite epsiode from season one, it still is an enjoyable one to watch!
  • Poor Lon Chaney

It's sad to see a once great actor being reduced to appearing in mediocre drivel in order to make a living or continue working in Hollywood. Such is the case in this episode with horror film great Lon Chaney, Jr. Here he's reduced to parodying one of his most famous roles, Lenny from Of Mice and Men, in a second rate series. If you're a devotee of the classic horror films like I am it's almost enough to make you cry.

The episode itself probably isn't any better or any worse than other episodes of The Monkees. Just a routine farce like the series. Even though it's painful to watch Lon in this episode he does appear to be enjoying himself and Mike Nesmith later said that all the Monkees enjoyed meeting and working with Lon. Still, it's sad to see one of the greats reduced the way Lon Chaney was in this episode. Was it his fault? Maybe because he was a heavy drinker who developed a reputation for being unreliable on the set. I guess he had to support himself and his family and a guest shot on The Monkees was all he could get at the time. In Hollywood, you pays your money and you takes your chances.