Monty Python's Flying Circus

How to Recognise Different Parts of the Body

Aired Unknown Nov 24, 1970 on BBC

• Python's White Album

A show that manages to hold together despite the fact that there really isn't that much great in the individual segments; you might call this one kind of like Python's White Album. Okay sure, there's the Bruces, Camp Boot Camp, the exploding penguin and the burnley...but nothing much ever is given time to coalesce before it's moving on, and they recycle some of their stuff too to add to the goofiness. And yet the ongoing conceit, the "How To Recognize" business, somehow keeps things moving and in the end makes the proceedings seem to add up to a lot more than the sum of the parts. A bit of inspired MP legerdemain, I'd say, and just exactly the sort of hocus pocus you'd expect these lunatics to be able to pull off. :)
  • One of the truly great episode in the history of the show

In a series filled with great episodes, this is one of the best. Everything from the opening with the announcer in the bikini to the end credits is compelling and hilarious viewing. The military fairies/swanning about sketch has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, I was laughing so hard when I saw this for the first time. The animation in this show could be some of the best, with the stuff involving the giant hand/cat/cars being great (watch for an appearance by an old friend, Spiky Norman, during this one). Then there's the Mary Queen Of Scots radio parody that I thought was really good. The end song is a classic moment, especially for those who like Terry. The running theme of Different parts of the Body worked well. Something i haven't mentioned is the plastic surgery sketch (with a re-apperance by Mr Luxury Yacht). Overall an unmissable episode and one you'll watch again and again.
  • "The feather. Rare."

Learn a thing or two about our biology. And nearly get killed in the process.

Everyone tries on that loveliest of fashion rages, the bikini.

Then begins our rather unique anatomy lesson, including bodily aspects that range from the mundane, to the freakish, to the virtually nonexistant.

The 'gentlemen' of the University of Wallamaloo gather to discuss the very strict standards of admission into their secret society.

A man with an unusually pronounced name visits the travel agent.

The Battley Townswomen's Guild reenacts a landmark medical operation; it's not the last startling demonstration we will see from them.

The BBC brings us their remarkable theatrical take on the death of Mary, Queen of Scots.

A parade of merry insanity, as usual.