Monty Python's Flying Circus

BBC (ended 1974)

DennisKytasaari

Monty Python's Flying Circus Fan Reviews (55)

• Five Englishmen, one American, and a new show that would start an impact on world comedy.Wait, that's not it. Okay, how about a nice, quaint little show about dead parrots and exploding tellies? Okay, that's it then. Naw, just see for yourself and judge.

A great TV show, changed comedy around the world, yet never did great in the States, which I think is a real shame. Could have more episodes, and John Cleese might not have left, but it is great, nonetheless. Now, I know that I tend to end my reviews early, and then just tell pointless stories to meet the requirements. And in this case, I'm still doing the same thing, so if you kept on reading this review to hear something different, you'd be a gullible I can't say that word on Tv.com because they are a bunch of total oops, my word minimum is fulfilled, bye!
  • And now for something completely different....Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!....DINSDALE!

One of the funniest shows of all time. I think it inspired a wave of funny sketches and movies. It's one of those show that if you repeat a line from it, everyone will know exactly what you are talking about, like "It's just a flesh wound" or "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!". It inspired so many shows like NBC'S Saturday Night, MadTv, Little Britain, and The Goodies. It is so hysterically, hysterically funny that sometimes you wonder how they came up with a crazy show like that. And they were brave on putting some of their on the telwvision, which they knew could have been cemnsored. Monty Python is a must-see show.
  • One of the greatest comedies!!

Monty Python's Flying Circus is one of the greatest comedies in the world. It featured such hilarity as the Dead Parrot Sketch and the Lumberjack song. The Python's have also given us two of the world's greatest comedy films, "The Life of Brian" and "The Holy Grail". When describing Monty Python I can only call it amazingly original. The Python's sketchs may often seem stupid but they are sketches that most comedians would have never thought of. Many people have tried to emulate Monty Python's unique humour but all have failed. After all, in this world there is room for only one Monty Python.
  • The strangest show ever made.

I guess us Finns and those wacky Brits have a similar sense of humour. Often it doesn't make any sense, many times it contains peculiar sexual references and (full frontal) nudity. You'll either like Monty Python, or you'll hate it. It takes a certain kind of sense of humour and an ability to laugh at youself. When quoting Monty Python shows or movies in front of a bunch of people you'll either be mistaken for a loonie or laughed at; a few of us will understand what had just happened. (Consider doing this in Finnish speaking environment, as all the quotes are in English!)

I'd recommend watching a few episodes of The Flying Circus, and finding out for yourself if you like it or not. Many won't, but a great many will!
  • Saturday Night Live, take some notes...

Ah, yes, British sketch comedy. How could you not love this. Played straightlaced or silly, it's hilarious. Growing up, I mostly knew the cast members from roles they did voices for, such as Eric Idle in Transformers the Movie (one of my alltime favorite rolls of his).

When I got into college, my acting instructor advised all of us in the class to watch this shows for guidance on how to do comedy the best way; not begging for a laugh.

Frankly, I like how they sometimes portray the most absured parts with a straight face, not breaking characte. And the timing, oh so wonderful! Not enough people today get how important timing is in a gag/joke, something some shows like Family Guy could benefit from learning.

If I got to perform anybody's work on TV and/or on stage, I would need a few weeks to chose because I would definetly choose from the Flying Circus library of sketches.
  • Monty Python's Flying circus brings every episode a mix of different scetches, that battle with each other to be more absurd than the other.

How does one define a classic.

You can begin by saying that the show does something nobody did before.
    You can go on listing all the other shows that have drawn inspiration off this show.
    Or you can just simply say it's genious in its originality

All off these things are correct for The Flying Circus.

The Python clan has given us some of the best skeches ever to appear on television, VHS or DVD. Like "The Dead Parrot", "The Spanish Inquisition", "Nudge Nudge" or "Fairytales about the police".
    And off course, we wouldn't have SPAM without them (damn decent of them I would say)

The first 2 series are pure gold, because of the freshness of the material.
    When they reached series 3 you could see that John Cleese wasn't that motivated anymore (even though he gave us some great performances)

Series 4 is without doubt the series that was the one too much, with puns that weren't wourth watching (although you could still enjoy them)

All and all a great series without an equal in sight.
  • This show is one of the greatest sketch shows in history

The Python's bizarre sense of humor hass inspired millions of others, from sketch shows to even sitcoms, the series, is funnier than Benny Hill, in my opinion, many things came from this series, one of which, is director Terry Gilliam,who got his start as a member as the Pythons.

The Python legecy continued beyond the show's 1974 cancellation with the movies Monty Python and the Holy Grail,The Life of Brian, Live at the Hollywood Bowl, and The Meaning of Life, the tony award winning play Spamalot, based the aforementioned Holy Grail, heck, even the term we use for junk mail, spam, came from a sketch done by the Flying Circus.

Long live the Gumbys!
  • And now for something completely different

Monty Python's Flying Circus was, and probably still is, a coming of age thing. When I was growing up there were three things that kinda proved that you had grown up: owning a copy of Playboy or Penthouse, being able to quote at least one George Carlin bit, and watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on PBS.

This show was the best thing ever to come out of the BBC and imported to PBS. Every scetch was funny on at least three different levels so even if you didn't get the main joke there were other things to laugh at. From the first episode of MPFC to the ending credits of The Meaning of Life, these guys never failed to make you laugh.

RIP Grahm Chapman.
  • A must see.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is superb British humor at it's best! All the Monty Python movies were excellent, too! My favorite actors in this are John Cleese and Eric Idle. I have my older brother to thank for getting me into this show! I got into Monty Python at the ripe old age of 11. My brother was watching it one day, and I asked him if I can watch too. He gave me his okay, and after I saw the delirious humor of this, I quickly became a fan! And watched it everytime it came on.

I also own some Monty Python cassette tapes and my brother has some on vinyl! I have far too many favorite Monty Python bits to name,some of my faves are "The Lumberjack Song", "It's the Mind", and "The Bishop"! And who can forget that caveman who can only say, 'its'? Also, anyone remember that one about the self-defense class involving a 'Poi-ted stick'? Pure timeless classic! Monty Python cracks me up all the time! Even if you're not in a good mood, watching this will put you in one!

I highly suggest this to anyone who is a stickler for British humor. Also, watch their movies: The Holy Grail, And Now for Something Completely Different, and The Life of Brian. I give Monty Python's Flying Circus 5 out of 5 stars! Watch it if you can!
  • Monty Python epitomized independent adulthood. Those off the wall shows that your parents really didn't want you to watch because their influencial humor was contagious. British humor...you gotta love it! Learn to laugh at yourself with your best buds...!

Monty Python's Flying Circus helped me survive some of the toughest times of my life when I needed a good laugh. I even got my son hooked on Python! Python's already a two-generation show in my family...soon to become a three-generation hit. The classification of "off the wall" best fits Python, but innovative, provocative, and down-right hilarious and fiendishly memorable also describe this British humor pre-cursor to SCTV (Second City) and Saturday Night Live as well as the more current MadTV and a sideways look at Seinfeld. Skits about unusually strange things, vintage pics brought to life in lively animation scenes, and a group of men bringing Shakespearian male acting (men playing the female roles) into a modern setting. Who could ask for more? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.
  • The most famous sketch show to date

While I don't find the sketch show quite as hilarious as the movies that follow, every sketch show in the history of television has had it's terrible and sidesplitting skits and this is probably the only sketch show that will be considered a classic for a long time, with the show that basically defined random and stupidity.

I don't care too much for the animation because they were a bit over the top but Monty Python's Flying Circus has some of the most memorable moments in television history such as the argument clinic, the dead parrot sketch and my personal favourite, self defence against fresh fruit.

Overall, while some sketches are overdone or a little too over the top silly, the random show known as Monty Python will forever be considered a classic.
  • British humor, outstanding actors, remarkable jests.

British humor, outstanding actors, remarkable jests. This is Monthy Python's flying circus in short. I know, not everyone will agree with this, but it's like a live South Park. It respects nothing, it's sarcastic, ironic. Society-and media-criticism at best! And those little animated scenes, they are trully fantastic! There is only one thing left, what i want to say: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, so beware! Oh and go and see Life of Brian, The meaning of life and the search for the Holy Grail too, these movies are as great as this series. Sorry if i have faults, i never learned english in school just in private!
  • You can't get a comedy show any better than this!

Monty Python is comedy at its best! Its so silly-stupid, that you just can't help but laugh! The sketches are halirous, but i have a few personal favorites:

- The dead parrot sketch: What can i say? CLASSIC!
    - The holy grail: The witches sketch! I love that sketch! "Logically, if she weighs the same weight as a duck, shes a witch!" XD
    - The funniest joke ever: In this sketch, everyone dies of laughter from reading the funniest joke. This goes on for minutes and its just great!
    - The olympic sketch: THe first Monty python sketch i ever saw, basically, they have a bunch of funny olympic events like "The race for people who can't swim," and "The race for people with no sense of direction." I LOVE this sketch! =D

Seriously, this is comedy at its best! You don't want to miss this!
  • Today everybody knows Monty Python

Monty Python , old british humor. But that doesn't mean it's not funny! This show is the funniest show I have ever seen of all times! It's humor cannot be matched by todays shows ( I don't mean that todays shows are not funny but Monty Pyton is just funnier ) and it made one of my favorite actors a star. . . . JOHN CLEESE!! And not just the series but also the movies are guilty of pleasure! I have seen all the movies and I recommend you to do the same ( if you haven't already saw them ofcours and if you did. . . . watch them again!!). Today everybody knows Monty Python ( at least I hope so) and they diserve the attention!
  • ew

ugh this is the stupidest piece of trash ever it's about these people who do comedy sketches so what. I don't see anything interesting about this and what is "eat me" gonna make me laugh. Warning this is not a good show to watch I repeat this is not a good show to watch so go ahead and disagree with me i don't care.
  • Eat Me

When i was younger my mom would ALWAYS talk about Monty Python, and I had no idea what she was talking about. It completely aggravated me. So one day, she rented 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and I decided to watch it. At age seven, I found it one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Now I've seen all the movies, their plays, listened to their CDs and seen almost every episode. I could recite most of the skits right now. My problem is that every time I show Monty Python to my friends, they don't find it as funny as I do. Most of them don't even get it. This show is very under appreciated.
  • And now for something completely different!

This is definitely the best comedy show I've ever seen. I mean, what can I say, this show is extremely funny! It contains many skits and animations that keep you entertained. The show stars Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Terry Gilliam, who play many characters that are involved in silly situations. They are all so talented and funny, that you can't dislike any one of them. I have so many favorite sketches, but the one I really like are "Dead Parrot", "Mr. Gumby's Flower Arranging", "My Brain Hurts (Brain surgery)", "Spam", and "Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit".
    In conclusion, this show is one of my personal favorites. Nobody can do comedy better than Monty Python.
    I give this show a 9.4/10.
  • British humor rocks, it is a shame that only John Cleese is still in films.

Again British humor rocks, and nobody is funnier then the monty python guys. I don't even know how they got the name, but I really do not care, just as long as it is funny. These guys needed to come up with some new guys to take over when all of them were retired. Unfortunatly they didnt and so we much only watch the reruns. They are so funny that everytime I watch them no matter what episode it is, or how many times that I watch it, it will still be the same funny show that I never get tired of watching.
  • You have to be evil to hate this show!

I don't know how you can hate this show because it's one of the greatest of all time! It's also one of those cult favorites and should be recommended for everyone who is a comedy lover. I started watching this after I saw a commercial about the DVDs on some channel (I think it was on A&E or something). I thought it was funny and I later saw an episode of it on BBC America. I've loved it ever since. Now I tape it whenever comes on PBS. I like Monty Python as much as Kids in the Hall, but the only reason why I talk about Kids in the Hall more is because I don't get a chance to see Monty Python that much.
  • The biggest thing that came from Englend since 'The Beatles."

One of the best and funniest comedies came from England. "Monthy Python's Flying Circus" is a very funny series that spoof British society. I can recall watching that show on Saturday night when I was in my teens. Later, when I went to Kalamazoo, I watch them on sunday night from the PBS station in chicago. what I like about the Monty Python gang is the funny stuffs. Even though, I'm not British, I get the comedic pace of the show. I love the show very much. It was a pure classic. I got me intrested in British culture. A fun show.
  • My favorite television show of all time.

Monty Python\'s Flying Circus hit British television in 1969, and American television in 1974. There has never been anything quite like it ever since. It was a sketch comedy where anything was possible and \"Expect The Unexpected\" was the unofficial slogan. Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin played the oddest of oddball characters in the weirdest of sketches, and Terry Gilliam would somehow stitch everything together with his surreal cutout animations. The \"fourth wall\" was regularly smashed down, as the characters would sometimes talk directly to the viewer, show up unexpectedly in later sketches, and break into song on a whim. No aspect of the television program was safe from being tinkered with, not even the end credits, which sometimes would be altered to fit the whims of one of the show\'s sketches, or be displayed just a few minutes after the show started (or in one episode, right after the opening sequence at the beginning of the show). Truly a television classic.
  • The dumbest thing Ive ever seen.......... I mean that in a good way of course

"Monty Python" is one of the best sketch comedy shows of all time. It did go pretty far in terms of content and pushed boundraies for TV when it aired and spawned 3 movies. Monty Python was great and I watch it a lot but I can't get some of it so that takes off a couple points, then again I'm an American dullard.
  • One of the greatest shows of all time!!!

Who doesn't like this show? In my opinion it is one of the greatest shows of all time. It is a timeless comedy classic. I mean I just can't get enough of this show. I catch it everytime it is on t.v. and it doesn't matter how many times I see an episode of this show I still laugh. And if you are a comedy lover such as myself and you haven't seen this show I highly reccomend it. And all of the movies are absolutely amazing. Anyway just watch it, it is a cult classic and one of my favorites. I give it a ten out of ten. Woohoo.:D
  • The greatest original TV comedy show ever!

It's...Monty Python's Flying Circus! I first heard about this shortly after seeing The Holy Grail movie they did. I thought I was going to die! This show has very original humor with great cast playing these very good skits on the show. Only 5 of the original cast survives today, but they'll be funny forever! Monty Python works because of the hilarious sense of humor that this show has and the funny movies that they did. My favorite is the Self Defense skit where these men go to a Self Defense class learning how to defend themselves against anyone armed with a piece of fresh fruit. Hilarious. I give this show a 10 for great comedy routines that will last forever in our hearts and minds and the multiple spoofs of it in our pop culture.
  • Sketch comedy and absurdist humor at its finest. Too bad it's not for everybody.

Although I personally love the Monty Python movies better, this show is one of my personal favorites. Python has influenced almost every sketch comedy troupe that came after them. This is one of the inspirations for Saturday Night Live in its prime. Kids in the Hall openly admit that they were influenced by Python.

In my opinion, many of the skits transcend time and country. Who doesn't laugh hysterically at the Minstery of Silly Walks? Who doesn't find the Lumberjack Song funny? Who hasn't pondered the timeless humor of the Dead Parrot Sketch?

However, some people just don't understand Monty Python. The ones who understand Python and find the show and the troupe hysterically funny seem to be able to appreciate all types of humor.

There will never be another Monty Python troupe. The originals are just too good.
  • What can be said that hasn't been already?

Love this show to pieces. I can just sit a quote all my favorite moments.

Favorite episode: the one with The Larch. It's the only one where I'm on the floor in histerics for every single skit.

Favorite sketch: the one where the newsman is taken captive, put into a truck, driven out of the city to a pier and tossed over into the water. Only John Cleese can make that hilarious every time I watch it.

Favorite line: So many. The one that comes to mind (aside from Semprini) is "I promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So anyway...."
  • The Greatest TV Show of all time

Monty Python's Flying Circus: The Greatest Show of all time. This show literally redefined Sketch Comedy. It is off the wall, absurd at just about every moment, and, quite frankly, Hilarious. The show was started by John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam (all of whom are british except for Terry Gilliam). The show consists of random sketches throughout the episode. This show is a classic, and nearly every sketch was good. Who could forget the Spanish Inquisition sketch? Or the Dead Parrot Sketch? Or the hilarious Lumber Jack song? The first 3 seasons of this show were hilarious. There is hardly a moment that you will not be rolling on the floor laughing. Sadly, because of the departure of John Cleese after the third season, the show started to lose its edge. Also, yes, these are the same guys who did Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If you like comedy or TV in general you need to see this show.
  • absolutely brilliant!

this show makes everything that followed look shallow. monty python's flying circus had it all! the most brilliant, sometimes really sophisticated, sometimes very deadpan and always anarchistic humour, very good acting, social issues, ...

they dared to bring up topics noone else would, like homosexuality for instance in a time nobody would talk about it and with doing so made a big effort in normalising the opinion of a lot of people towards gays and lesbians.

some of there scetches will remain highlights in tv's history like minestry of silly walks, the parrot scetch, the spanish inquisition, the blancmanges (my personal favourite), old ladies beating up youngsters with their purses, ... and so many, many more ...

oh my god, i wished it was broadcasted again some day! i really miss it!
  • The masters of sketch comedy.

This is one of the funniest shows that I can't get enough of, it is so funny that you'll want to watch it 24/7. This is good because of it's great comedy scripts, and they don't overdo it at all. My favorite actor on this show is John Cleese, he is so funny, that just not saying anything and just giving a blank stare is downright hilarious for some reason. I'm surprised the show didn't last long, I think it only lasted like five seasons, oh well as long as it's still on T.V. I'm good with it then for sure.
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus is an incredibly silly British comedy with so many obserd moments that make absolutely no sense, you will find yourself laughing till you cry.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is a very different kind of show. It's basically a sketch comedy, but a weird one with animations, silly British people, twits, killer grandmas, banana-weilding maniacs, Hungarians, and more.

The guys who make up the Flying Circus are literally insane. Monty Python has some of the most random jokes you will ever hear in your life, and they're absolutely hilarious.

You will see men in women's clothing, obserd animations, silly slapstick humor and more crazy British antics that make you laugh endlessly.

There's not much to say about Monty Python, you just have to see the show. It's bloody brilliant.
< 1 2