Moonlight Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

AO negative

rerich

[1]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 5

Does this make any sense? There are many different blood factors that have been discovered, 29 actually. The only two that really matter are the ABO factor and the Rh factor because they are mostly what you have to know to match for a transfusion. To make sure of any other possible conflicts they also cross-match the recepient and the donor's blood because some of the other 27 can make a difference under rare circumstances. It is true that A is the only factor that has subtypes, mainly A1 and A2 but this is usually ignored because it doesn't affect a transfusion. 95% of A people are A1. So you would think that possible Beth was A2 but the main population of people that have A2 are brown-eyed Lapplanders. As for her being AO that is not rare. You inherit a blood type from each of your parents A and B are dominate and O is recessive. If you get an A from one and a B from one you are AB, if you get A from one and O from one you are AO, but you would have to do more testing of the blood than the Red Cross bothers with or know that one parent was type O and the other A or AO and you would then have to be AO if you were an A. In Rh factor + is dominant and - is recessive. You can be a negative if both parents are actually +-. They would test positive and you would have inherited the - from each one. I happen to be A- so I am interested. Since I don't know my parents' types I don't know if I am AA or AO, but since O, although recessive, is the major blood type in the US including American Indians (I don't know about people of African descent) it is very likely that in fact I am AO-. Now I am not that special and I have the company of about 6% of my country's population. So if they wanted to make Beth and Coraline's blood type special, why didn't they make it special. And why would Beth even know what her blood type is?

Feedback please?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DreamCruise

[2]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 13

Wow, you did some research ! Last week I Googled "rarest blood type" and all I could come up with was AB negative, I didn't really know there was all the other types.

SG1andAhalf

[3]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    I give blood regularly, so I guess I just assumed everyone knew there blood type.

isisinhouston

[4]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Karl Landsteiner would be surprised to hear that someone is claiming a fifth blood type.
    There is no such thing as AO, negative or positive. This is a fiction program.

tubpat

[5]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    I have heard there is no such thing as AO blood type, but I also hear there is no such thing as vampires?

Lisann71

[6]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 6

isisinhouston wrote:
    Karl Landsteiner would be surprised to hear that someone is claiming a fifth blood type. There is no such thing as AO, negative or positive. This is a fiction program.

Well technically it is a genotype and not a blood type:

"A blood test is used to determine whether the A and/or B characteristics are present in a blood sample. It is not possible to determine the exact genotype from a blood test result of either type A or type B. If someone has blood type A, they must have at least one copy of the A allele, but they could have two copies. Their genotype is either AA or AO. Similarly, someone who is blood type B could have a genotype of either BB or BO."

source:

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/genotypes.html

isisinhouston

[7]Jan 12, 2008
    The topic was blood types, not genotypes. Yes, there is an AO genotype. There's a BO genotype and 4 others. Have you ever seen the Rh factor attached to a genotype? This is the point I was trying to make.

Lisann71

[8]Jan 12, 2008

isisinhouston wrote:
    The topic was blood types, not genotypes. Yes, there is an AO genotype. There's a BO genotype and 4 others. Have you ever seen the Rh factor attached to a genotype? This is the point I was trying to make.

sorry to have upset you ....I was just trying to say that there was some validity to both the point you were making and ALSO what Rerich had stated

.....and also yes, there are Rh factors attached to genotypes:

"Someone who is "Rh positive" or "Rh+" has at least one Rh+ allele, but could have two. Their genotype could be either Rh+/Rh+ or Rh+/Rh-. Someone who Rh- has a genotype of Rh-/Rh-."

source:

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/rh_factor.html

isisinhouston

[9]Jan 12, 2008
    Yes, but not AO-. It would be Rh-/Rh-(or + )
    No apology necessary. Thanks though. It's hard to "sound" like you feel. Your input is great. If you're interested, check bloodbook.com

Lisann71

[10]Jan 12, 2008
    isisinhouston wrote:
    Yes, but not AO-. It would be Rh-/Rh-(or + )
    No apology necessary. Thanks though. It's hard to "sound" like you feel. Your input is great. If you're interested, check bloodbook.com

Thanks....but I am RN who used to work with Dialysis patients....I have had all the experience I want with Blood Types, and RH factors.....can you believe people would bring in hair from their girlfriend's kids and ask if along with a blood transfusion, I could tell them if the kid was theirs?! Ahhhh, good times!

I get though what you are saying....there are a lot of medical inaccuracies on TV....which is kinda dumb since there are so many doctors, nurses and medical techs who could act as tech advisers....gotta go update my resume!

isisinhouston

[11]Jan 12, 2008
    I believe people will do anything. Thanks for your input and expertise. My knowledge is only from the laymans point of view and need to know due to family members medical problems. Who knew transfusions could be so entailed. My bro is AB-. None of the rest of us is Rh-.

Lisann71

[12]Jan 12, 2008

isisinhouston wrote:
    I believe people will do anything. Thanks for your input and expertise. My knowledge is only from the laymans point of view and need to know due to family members medical problems. Who knew transfusions could be so entailed. My bro is AB-. None of the rest of us is Rh-.

I think everyone is basically good....but as a nurse I can honestly say that I have seen people at their best....and at their worst!

Good for you to be such an educated advocate for your family members' health! I spend all day long educating people on how to take charge of their health and how to demand excellent care for themselves and their loved ones!

Yeah....in my current gig, I spend a lot of time educating mothers who have gone through miscarriages to be tested for Rh factor...it's such a hard time, but with testing and treatment, one risk factor for future miscarriages can be reduced....so yeah I have an expertise in Rh factor....I'd really rather have an expertise in sailing, sun-tanning, or beach combing!

isisinhouston

[13]Jan 12, 2008
    Maybe that will be your expertise when you retire. Start planning now! beachcombing 101 hasn't changed much over the years. Bring meat tenderizer and a metal detector.

Lisann71

[14]Jan 12, 2008
    isisinhouston wrote:
    Maybe that will be your expertise when you retire. Start planning now! beachcombing 101 hasn't changed much over the years. Bring meat tenderizer and a metal detector.

Good idea, making notes:

1. Meat tenderizer
    2. Metal detector
    3. Shade for Mick and Josef

isisinhouston

[15]Jan 12, 2008
    Ha Ha Ha.
    I'd stay off of those Australian beaches with those box jellies. The meat tenderizer won't help with those.

rerich

[16]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    Lisann71 wrote:

isisinhouston wrote:
    Karl Landsteiner would be surprised to hear that someone is claiming a fifth blood type. There is no such thing as AO, negative or positive. This is a fiction program.

Well technically it is a genotype and not a blood type:

"A blood test is used to determine whether the A and/or B characteristics are present in a blood sample. It is not possible to determine the exact genotype from a blood test result of either type A or type B. If someone has blood type A, they must have at least one copy of the A allele, but they could have two copies. Their genotype is either AA or AO. Similarly, someone who is blood type B could have a genotype of either BB or BO."

source:

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/genotypes.html

Well that was part of what I was trying to say, I meant genotype and not blood type, because a genotype is what they gave for Beth and not her blood type. Some people don't know their blood type, my mother for one, so I'm not sure of my genotype, but most do know their blood type. I was not surprised that Beth knew her blood type, but that she knew her genotype. Only the deep testing that they were doing at that lab they were at would tell you and since it matters not to the Red Cross or to getting a transfusion, why would Beth know? It really annoys me because, although I appreciate the compliment, I did not do a lot of research. I read my Britannica DVD article on blood types and I googled AO negative. In 10 minutes I had read 3 articles on this from which I got my info. One of them was Wikipedia. How hard would have been for the writer to have done this? And how hard would it have been to make another of the blood factors genetically pertinent to Beth so she would know that her blood had this rare factor? 27 others to choose from, folks. Also, something like that might be found in the type of analysis the lab was doing for Mick on Coraline's blood, so would make sense that the tech would mention it in her report.
    Edited on 01/13/2008 11:57am

jwcritter

[17]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 8

Much as it bugs me to hear Beth refer to her blood type as AO- I'm willing to play Devil's Advocate and explain how Beth could know her genotype (although she should still refer to her blood type as A-, at about 6% of the US population not exactly the incredibly rare type they say). If Beth knows that one of her parents was type O than she might also know that she could of only inherited an O allele from them since it is a recessive gene. The other parent could be type A or type AB since both A and B are dominant. Either parent could be Rh positive (with one + and one - allele) or Rh negative. However Coraline's parents did not exactly live in a time of blood testing. Short of the lab being part of The Human Genome Project (gene mapping) and running some rather expensive, difficult, time consuming tests there is no way to determine the genotype.

Edited on 01/13/2008 7:18pm

unicorns_exist

[18]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    The most ridiculousand irritating thing about this is thatthe writers, the director andeveryone working on setwould have to be really quite ignorant to have made that mistake. I'm a year 12 biology student, and I knew that that blood type didn't exist.

Lavendah

[19]Jan 13, 2008
    well, it's at least 10 years since I did any sort of biology and it has obviously slipped my mind. That said, it's something that should have been checked before the script even hit the draft stage

LuvmyMick

[20]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    Wow, y'all are taking this blood type thing seriously, huh? LOL