Moonlight Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

CBS must be kicking themselves!

heroesfan07

[1]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 21
    Twilight & True Blood have become a massive success and also books like Anita Blake and Vampire Diaries are selling like hotcakes and Cirque Du Freak and House Of Night are about to become movies VAMPIRES ARE SOOOOO IN!And if CBS returned the show and promoted it as a vamp show it woulda got massive ratings!STUPID CBS!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tubpat

[2]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 12
    I so agree!

jwcritter

[3]May 31, 2009
    • level: 8
    Oh, how I wish I could be posting this on the official Moonlight media thread (as an example of clever Moonlight marketing ads) instead of under the general "vampires are hot and CBS is missing out thread". Anyway, I recently read an article that said since True Blood and Twilight are such hits advertisers are creating (mostly fake) ads featuring vamps for use during TB episodes. Things such as car ads for vehicles that let you 'feel the wind in your fangs' and monster.com ads that trumpet all the night-shift jobs they have listed. Not sure why True Blood is considered such a hit when it's total viewership numbers are less then that of Moonlight, although I suppose having 7 million watch a premium cable show has something to do with it. Even the CW has a new vampire show (The Vampire Diaries) premiering this fall. I can't help but feel that CBS should of had some inkling of pop culture to know that they just needing a bit of creative marketing to create awareness, instead of the guano they pulled at the last minute concerning cancellation. It doesn't help that I just saw a real print ad in a recent issue of TIME magazine that described the Honda fit as "cavernous", "wicked", and "a nocturnal flyer" and showed a bunch (flock? herd? school?) of bats pouring out of it's open tailgate. To paraphrase Josef 'if everybody has vampires on their mind because of some related ads, suddenly we get noticed". Sorry CBS, the only thing I'm noticing about you is that you haven't a clue!
    Edited on 05/31/2009 12:08pm

crazyladyanjas

[4]May 31, 2009
    • level: 4
    I totaly agree with you! The other two shows you wrote about I don't even like. This was my favorite one.

l0st_hotti4815

[5]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 2
    House of Night is going to be made into a movie?

playshiva

[6]Jun 2, 2009

You are so right. I don't understand how did CBS came to the conclusion that Moonlight was not a hit series. Even though Moonlight fans send emails and give blood it was still not enough for them. Moonlight was my favorite and still is. Every time I watch it I fall in love with it. I do hope that CBS comes to their right mind and bring back Moonlight.

kathync

[7]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 13
    You know, I really wish they were kicking themselves, but I'm guessing the answer is no. They've moved on and aren't looking back. Kind of makes you wonder about the timing, doesn't it? Did Moonlight whet the appetite for viewers and maybe spark some interest in the shows now on? Now, they did come from popular books so they already had a built in audience, but still... On the other hand, kind of makes me wonder if Moonlight had come maybe one year later, when these others were proving so popular - Maybe then by missing the strike and having these others to start the ball rolling, more people would have found this sadly underappreciated show and we'd still have it to look forward to. I guess the old saying could be true, "timing is everything".

elainecleo

[8]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 9
    I am hoping that CBS is having flashbacks to a really good show and will learn by their errors, kind of like Fox and the Firefly mess up. The only vampire shows that measured up to Moonlight was Buffy and Angel, I love Spike and Angelus, but Mick and Josef were both in the same class. Blood Ties was also first class, not a fan of True Blood or the Twilight book series, the movie is better. New Dawn was so boring I had to start it 4 times before I could finish it.

I am still not watching new series on CBS, but may have to take a look at Alex in the new show. He is so hot.

BTW I can not remember the show runner that was let go from Moonlight and it is driving me crazy..anyone please.

TesserT

[9]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 74
    ElaineCleo: Are you thinking of David Greenwalt (co-creator of Angel) who joined the staff in May 2007 as showrunner & executive producer alongside Joel Silver & then left for health reasons soon after production started? Or Chip Johannessen who took over showrunner duties in August 2007 but was let go in Feb 2008 right before production of the last 4 eps?

MyVamp

[10]Jun 6, 2009

Never mind kicking themselves; I want a shot at them myself! Lol, okay so it's over a year since they announced Moonlight's cancellation and I'm all better and not bitter at all. Really. I've moved on. This post is a figment of your imagination.

MyVamp

[11]Jun 6, 2009
    Hi TesserT! *waves*

borntobemybaby

[12]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    MyVamp wrote:

Never mind kicking themselves; I want a shot at them myself! Lol, okay so it's over a year since they announced Moonlight's cancellation and I'm all better and not bitter at all. Really. I've moved on. This post is a figment of your imagination.

I watched a Moonlight marathon this weekend and I really hate that we did not get a Season Two. I get the sense though that CBS has their own agenda, and that the Moonlight fans did not quite meet what they were looking for. Moonlilght will remain my all time favorite show. I have gone on to watch Forever Knight, Blood Ties, True Blood, Angel, (Buffy was a little young for my taste) and I will give Vampire Diaries a try. But no show will ever touch Moonlight as far as I am concerned, I just think the friendship between Mick and Josef and the love between Mick and Beth seemed so real that I couldn't wait for the next show. I am stll hoping for a Movie someday. I miss you all. I come to this site all the time because you understand what a great show we lost!
    Edited on 06/07/2009 4:27am

nz_marie

[13]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 8

I agree 100% the marketing people at CBS must be insane. They would be rolling it in if only they had the sense to do a season 2.

I just re-watched all of season 1 which was great but then when it ended it was like "oh no! Is that all there is? I want more!"

Does anyone know if there is a petition still going that I can sign to try and convince CBS that they need to continue this excellent series?

Cheers, Marie

crazyladyanjas

[14]Jun 8, 2009
    I haven't heard of any but I wish there was. Especially the way it ended, there were things left undone. The way the DA jerk was getting into things and all.

TesserT

[15]Jun 8, 2009
    Marie: CBS no longer has the rights to air Moonlight - they were basically the distributor who aired it on their network. Warner Brothers & Silver Productions, who own the rights, shopped to everyone until they could shop no more - alas there were no takers. For the immediate future, Moonlight is just a memory and exists only in re-runs.

Hi MyVamp! *waves*
    Edited on 06/08/2009 12:36pm

NoraJane

[16]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 6

Also "The vampires diaries" are coming up and true blood got another season..and all this twilight hype.....

Seriously they made a big mistake by canceling moonlight - which was better then all those above together..

pammyjoisme

[17]Jun 10, 2009
    I also agree.. they really messed up in my opinion, but I guess they figured we would have forgotten by now and it would be over.but still many fans and people still fighting...

TesserT

[18]Jul 19, 2009
    Parade July 19, 2009

Question: Does CBS realize that canceling its vampire series Moonlight with Alex O'Loughlin was a mistake?

Answer: Yes. Our sources tell us that the outcry was so great that CBS took steps to bring O'Loughlin back into the fold. CBS Films cast him opposite Jennifer Lopez in The Back-Up Plan, and this fall he'll star as a doctor in a new medical series, Three Rivers.
    Edited on 07/19/2009 6:42am

neojhun

[19]Jul 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    I have to say ur right CBS screwed up. Moonlight is a more main stream and cleaner version of True blood open to more viewers. with very similar ideas as the highly succesful True Blood CBS should bring it back. It's not like HBO say they are copying them series 1 came before True Blood. CBS must realy stuffed so much for riding on the Heroes wave.

PAULKOPERA

[20]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 1

HAS NO ONE NOTICED THAT THE SIFI CHANNEL IS AND HAS BEEN RESHOWING THIS SERIES FOR MONTHS?

I have been recording it since I found out about it and have finally caught up on the last episode. It was downright cold blooded that it was froced to just end this way. no conclusions no nothing. Why isn't the sifi channel picking it up and running with new episodes in the fall... I wonder??? TO my mind CBS has always been a money grubbing pack of fools. I say thier loss... But with sooo many cable channels begging for good content Nay great content, like MOONLIGHT. Clean content, not like true blood.... not that I have anything about sex on the screen.... aside... but with all of these poser vamp shows coming out this year, one would think that already having a audience and a years worth of production product in the can.... ready to show while filming can begin again. This show is dieing to be picked up and run with for at least 2 more seasons. Plenty of more plot potential without having to copy the angel P.I. route... I might add that this show wouldn't cost that much to put back into production either if they do not wait too long for the actors to get other paying gigs...

I say why the wait... If sifi channel can place warehouse 13 on at least five other channels for the opening episode, they should at least be able to pick up the cost for this series. Maybe shop it with chiller, or tbs or tnt....

One last remark Bring back the Buffy!!! at least the reruns now that I have finally purchased a recorder so that I can save up a weeks worth or more so that I can watch them again.... I love angel, but I miss the show that restarted all of these copy clone vamp shows! We might start begging for cable companies to run the original dark shadows soap. I miss that one too!