Moonlighting

All Creatures Great and ... Not So Great

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 1986 on ABC

• Brad Dourif as a priest?! Ooookay! lol!

The choice of actor to play the love sick priest in this episode was really interesting. When the object of his affections is murdered I immediately suspected him even if he was a priest! Didn't matter. I'm so used to Brad playing dubious characters that when he plays a fairly normal guy he still gives me pause. I know this guy best from being the voice of Chucky, Luther Lee Boggs (psychic prisoner on death row in The X-Files), and most recently as The Dark One who tricks Rumplestiltskin into killing him therefore becoming the next Dark One from ABC's Once Upon a Time! Oh, and if you want to go further back One Flew Over a Coo Coo's Nest but that character wasn't as well you know. Well, tormented but... anyway I was pleasantly surprise when it was discovered he was innocent but I still was thinking he somehow fooled them. lol! One of the better episodes so far in this strange third season. :)
  • A woman flees confession. The detectives track her down, while her priest grapples with the doubts in his own heart.

Fr. McDonovan just isn't himself today. He is distracted at his work in a soup kitchen; he rushes to church but is late to hear confession. McDonovan begs Fr. Estevez to let him step in anyway. Though reluctant, the other man gives in.

Most of the recitations are as normal. Then a woman arrives, whom McDonovan has heard from before. This time she wants to end it all. Before he can talk her out of it, she leaves.

To whom should you turn in times of trouble, especially when you are the one others usually trust?

Probably not David Addison. His idea of, ah, getting to know the neighbors is considered a felony in some states. Nevertheless, McDonovan comes to Blue Moon in search of assistance. He managed to remember the look of the cab the woman took after she left church. Can they help him?

They'll sure try. Addison and his boss, Maddie Hayes, pore through cab company log books in search of the right notation for the time and place of departure. This is not the only issue on David's mind.

"We're messing with things we shouldn't oughta be messing with!" he complains. It distresses him deeply that the priest is contemplating leaving holy orders in order to meet the woman--and marry her. Were they enlisted to really save her life, or for some ulterior motive?

Although irked, Dave goes with Maddie to spy on the woman's apartment. Alicia Adamson is married, and appears to in fact be having a good time at home. So why did she paint such a different picture in confession?

David is furious at the cavalier attitudes of Mrs. Adamson and her would-be suitor. He is also rankled at Maddie's lack of religious sentiment. David is hardly anyone to tell someone else how to be moral, but he thinks of priests as having to be 'better than that,' and this type of behavior from McDonovan and his married acquaintance truly gets on his nerves.

They head for the rectory. McDonovan has a check for part of the fee. Maddie tells him about Alicia's home life, but the priest says he still wants to help her--"I just need to figure out if I should."

This second-guessing irritates David even further. He rejects the check and storms out into the church, where he rakes Maddie over the coals for not taking his attitude toward the crisis.

“I didn’t know we were getting involved with someone who was capable of adultery,” Maddie protests.

“’Cause you didn’t listen!” David thunders. “I don’t even think you know how!”

He continues the tirade until he finally gives up and walks out. A floored Maddie turns and sees the confession booth across the way. She decides to see what it's really like.

And she gets the same desultory reaction as she had from her psychiatrist: snores.

There will be even more bad news waiting when she gets back to the Blue Moon office. David says Alicia shot herself.

It's over to the Adamson apartment again. Alicia's husband, Ray, says the police just removed his wife's body. Fr. McDonovan is there to pray for her.

"Her suffering is over," the priest says. "For the people she left behind, it’s just beginning.”

In the car, on the way home, David is much more solemn. “You know," he tells Maddie, "I’m probably closer to you than anybody else I know out here." He tells her she'd have to take care of his arrangements if anything happened.

This being David, he can't stay serious for very long. Every time he broaches an issue that frightens him, he covers it up with something to laugh about. "I think about the thing that denies death its due," he says, and Maddie cringes. Back to normal, for now.

The next day at work, Agnes is a busybody, plunging into a surfeit of work to cover up for a previous fight with Bert. Dave rejects her idea that the poor lad be sent to the unemployment office, and crosses the room to see his own boss.

Whom he may not see for long. She's got a gun.

Lucky thing, though, Maddie is only looking at it to see if Alicia Adamson could have really used it on herself the way the story claims. Her answer is no--an average woman's arms would be too short to pull the trigger while standing the gun on her toes. This implies foul play in Alicia's death.

The detectives rush to tell Fr. McDonovan at the Adamson home. He is relieved to know his charge did not take her own life. He thinks she was killed stopping a burglary.

Something doesn't ring quite right to David. Not about the priest's story, but Mr. Adamson's. David walks into a side room and meets none other than Ray's mistress, Janine Dalton, who pretended to be Alicia in confession, to build the theory of potential suicide. Knowing the gig is up, Ray flees the coop, running upstairs. The detectives pursue, with the others in tow as well.

David follows Ray onto the balcony. A nasty downpour is in progress. Rain and lightning sheet down all around them. Ray grabs hold of the t.v. antenna and swings it at an unarmed David.

Perhaps a spiky metal pole isn't the ideal weapon during an electrical storm. A jagged line strikes the stem and fries the irate man. David is safe.

He gazes up at the sky. "Nice shot!" he crows.

Maddie and Fr. McDonovan, watching from in the house, echo the phrase.

All in a day's work...

At Blue Moon, the priest is in a more relaxed and upbeat mood. After much thought, he has decided to take a different career path. Although still surprised, David is no longer as judgemental. People have to go where they are meant to be, and that's that.

Maddie turns to David to let him know she tried his religion's method of absolution. Despite the unusual result, she could see why people felt it was a helpful resource. You'd think David would be pleasantly surprised at this momentous news.

Hey, you'd think he would be awake.

It seems Maddie has thrown another gutter ball in her attempt to find a sympathetic ear. And she tells the unconscious Dave just what exactly he can do about it.

Sometimes it is better to let sleeping detectives lie.