Moonlighting

Father Knows Last

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 1987 on ABC

• Mr. Hayes receives an ear full when he comes to L.A. to talk to David about becoming a responsible father! David's speech to him MADE this episode! :D

Blue Moon is down and out! Literally, right out the door! Agnes is trying to stop people taking all their stuff away. Unable to keep paying the bills or the workers Blue Moon has finally lost it. Not even Bert can keep the workers since they're not even getting paid now. They want "no work and pay!" Finally, Mr. Addison arrives and Bert and Agnes are happy to see him! Not long afterward Mr. Hayes makes an appearance at the worse possible time to talk to David about what he's going to do about Maddie and the baby. Maddie had told her mother and her mother had told her father. Now Daddy wants to know David's side of the story or really what he thinks is David's side. I hate the fact that Maddie is saying she doesn't know who's baby it is! COME ON!!! She was with David a whole month after Sam. Another reason why Sam should have NEVER been introduced to this show! I hate Sam repercussions! Ugh! Even when he's not here he's still causing problems! AHH! Anyway, David had dinner with Daddy Hayes and of course that one night stand girl shows up to make matters worse. Daddy Hayes bad mouths David, saying "it's bad enough that David is the father of his daughter's baby." See, everyone KNOWS this is David's baby. Even Mama Hayes thinks so. lol! Finally, we get to be best part of the whole episode or maybe the whole season! David follows Daddy Hayes onto the plane booking a flight to Denver of course. Not going all the way to Chicago with Daddy which I think he should have! Never mind what Maddie thinks! Ugh! David makes Daddy Hayes listen to him and right here everything David's been through seems to be pouring out of him! I can't help but tear up every time I listen to him say this speech! THIS SPEECH is the exact and complete reason why we should have seen a wedding between these two! I also can't help but wish someone could show Maddie all the crap this man has done for her! Right then and there would be enough to show her this man is the man for her! At least it should! The show knows it's a show right! The character of Maddie Hayes should have watched ALL these episodes to see all of what David did for her!!! LOL! It could have happen! Seriously! Oh well, I'll say this. Bruce should have won many awards for this scene alone. We need a show stopping speech or performance out of Cybill now!
  • One of the BEST episodes of season four....

While season four was by far the most frustrating in the series thanks to Cybill Shepherd's pregnancy(i.e. Maddie in Chicago, David in L.A. and shall the two EVER get together??), this is a stellar, stand-out episode in a sea of episodes that appeared to have been made simply to "stretch it out" until Shepherd's ability to return from maternity leave.

Maddie's father (played eloquently by the uber-talented Robert Webber) comes to California to find out David's intentions with regards to Maddie's surprise pregnancy. After a series of conversations, none coming out quite as David would have liked, David rushes to the airport where Maddie's father is boarding a plane to return to Chicago. He buys a last-minute ticket, boards, waits anxiously in his seat as the plane takes off and the seatbelt signs goes off, and then stomps his way back to Maddie's father's seat.

What follows is a speech the likes of which had never been uttered by David before about his love for Maddie, how it is HER who is holding up the works and preventing him from loving her and supporting her and how there was never a question in his mind about his feelings for her. No hint of sarcasm, no jokes, no holding back - he lays it on the line. All his feelings, pent up from season one to now, come pouring out.

The line that tugs at your heartstrings and really hits home about David's feelings for Maddie:

"Do I love her? Mr. Hayes, I would give up my life for her."

A STAND OUT episode, and, for me, made me wish, at that moment, that I was Madeline Hayes. You wouldn't have been able to keep me away from David Addison.....

• Mr. Hayes arrives in Los Angeles to check up on the man in his daughter’s life. He is not amused.

David returns to Blue Moon following the insanity of his stint in jail. With no cases being solved, they couldn’t keep up with the bills, and the company’s creditors arrive to take matters into their own hands. Agnes and her fellow employees struggle bitterly to keep the claws off their dear workplace, and each other.

Into this mess throw one angry father, Alexander Hayes, who comes to the city ostensibly on business but in reality to put his foot down and demand that David straighten up and fly right.

Shocked by the disarray at the agency, then doubly infuriated by the brief reappearance of a woman with whom Dave had a recent misadventure, Mr. Hayes thinks Addison can’t get his act together, and casts deep aspersions on David’s nature and prospects for improvement. Very much wounded, David marshals all his pride and determines to make a last stand. He catches up to Maddie’s father just before the man is due to leave on a plane.

In a stunning speech believed by many to be among his finest in the series, Addison thunders that he loves Maddie more than anything in this world, and that he has been fighting all along for the ability to be with her, only this time she wants out. He is still adamant to support the baby, and wants with all his heart to be back in Maddie’s life.

It is a thrilling and noble moment for his character. He is not going to play the eternal bounder after all. All he wanted was a chance. Here, he earns it.

This is another emotionally difficult episode that wins you over with excellent writing and acting. In a season fraught with challenging issues, this becomes one of the highlights.