Moonlighting Forums

ABC (ended 1989)

Question about "I Am Curious..."

Lokar

[1]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 26

Hello. It doesn't matter how many times I watch this episode, something new always comes up. During my annual watching of this episode, I noticed something.

Early in the show, when Maddie walks into her house, meets Sam, and goes upstairs, listen to what she says after the little phone call. "I don't want you to think I didn't take your proposal seriously, [or that] I took it lightly," words to that effect.

Flash forward to her speech toward the very end of the show, when she is in the bedroom and making her plea to whom she believes is "Sam."

The beginning is almost the same, word for word. "I don't want you to think I didn't think about your proposal..." After that, Maddie of course adds much more, but one or two phrases at the start are very similar to what she said back at the beginning. This made me think about something.

Was she really trying to "start" her confession to Sam early in the episode, but she was just so tired and flustered, she just wasn't able to get through with it?

I wonder what would have happened, if the writers had decided to take a slightly different route. What if Maddie had made her entire explanation to Sam right after the phone call, giving her time to break up with him then and there? This would have given her the rest of the episode to try and meet up with David and tell him, in her own terms and on her own footing, how she felt. Many times in the episode, she says how frustrated she is that she doesn't seem to get to make her own decisions and can never seem to finish what she wants to say. I'm not saying I like this second idea 'better.' It's just sometimes interesting to think how it would have happened if any of the people had been able to make these declarations without all the anger involved.

Just something to think about.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.