Moonlighting

Pilot (1)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Mar 03, 1985 on ABC

• It was great then It's still great now.

My wife got this for me at a yard sale last year and I just got around to watching it today. I loved this show 20 years ago and after watching the pilot again I remember what I loved about it back then. It was a flirty and funny show that the audience could tell was as fun to make (at least in the beginning) as it was to watch. Maddie Hayes is a former model who discovers that her accountant has embezzled everything she has. The only thing she has left are several companies she uses as a write off including the City of Angels dective agency headed by David Addison. When Maddie announces that she is selling the detective agency David hounds her to relent until a man who was stabbed falls into Maddie's arms dead. So begins their first adventure. The chemistry is there particularly when David convinces her to solve the murder. The audience gets its first taste of what is yet to come.
  • Former fashion model Maddie Hayes awakes to finds her house staff quitting,her checks bouncing,and one of the only assets she has left since her accountant ran off with all her money is a struggling detective agency run by the chauvanistic David Addison.

This is where it all began, folks.Maddie Hayes(Cybill Shepherd), distraught at finding out her no-good accountant has left the country with all her money, looks to one of the few assets she has left-the City of Angels Detective Agency.Unfortunately it's being run by a smug, sexist womaniser named David Addison(Bruce Willis). After being told by Maddie that she is going to close the agency, David does his best to try to keep it open. Fortunately, fate intervenes,and a case involving a mysterious watch and the interested parties trying to get a hold of it gets literally put in their hands at a swanky restaurant. If you're a fan of intelligent, fast dialogue, and sexual tension up the Yin Yang, this show is for you. It's a comedy of manners-Shepherd's elegant but feisty debutante versus the working-class swine-isms of Willis. It's a heady cocktail, and well worth a repeat viewing just to get all the jokes. Creator Glenn Gordon Caron has never bettered this wonderful battle of the sexes-and this was only the first part!