Moonlighting

Poltergeist III--- Dipesto Nothing

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 13, 1987 on ABC

• A Herbert and Agnes adventure...or is that Agnes and Herbert? Remember Agnes came first! lol!

This episode focused on Agnes and her jealousy that the newest member of the gang Herbert Viola is handling cases...well sort of. She's been here from the beginning and all she does is still type and answer phones. To prove her point she takes a discarded case of Maddie and David's about a haunted house and after many deaths (unfortunate problem for any detective in the Blue Moon Agency when looking back on other cases) she actually solves the case...with the help of her on again off again boyfriend Herbert of course. Have to admit I like Curtis Armstrong's Herbert Viola better than his character Booger on Revenge of the Nerds. Mostly because the writers gave Herbert a calmer attitude and that was a step away from the brashness of his Nerds character. It made him more appealing to me. Not to say Booger isn't a good character. He's memorable and funny but we already have that kind of character on Moonlighting with David Addison. I think the writers have tried to give Alice Beasley's character Agnes a little more bravery and much more straight forwardness when it comes to Herbert. I didn't think she would throw herself on Herbert when they first met like they did but here it was acceptable because she was frightened when she jumped into his arms and he was the only other person in the room. If she would have done it with David or Maddie now that would have been even funnier! lol! This was a good episode and now that we have another growing relationship between Agnes and Bert this gives the main leads some time off which some fans may gawk at but these two are cute none-the-less. Understandable their characters probably get more air time when the problems between Cybill and Bruce occur and with the pregnancy and collar bone (Bruce) incidents but if the stories are as entertaining as this one then I won't mind. Been a while since I've seen the whole series so we will see what happens next. Nice to rediscover the series after many years. "When there's something strange in the neighborhood! Who ya gonna call? ...Bert and Agnes?! :D
  • Agnes takes umbrage to the high regard for temp Bert, and vows to solve a haunted house case before he does.

Receptionist Agnes Dipesto is loyal, funny and optimistic almost to a fault. She protects her station at the front desk of Blue Moon with more zeal than anyone this side of the guards at Buckingham Palace.

So why is she losing out in the bosses' eyes to newcomer Bert?

Mr. Viola seems to be pulling in more work these days, and that gets poor Agnes' goat. She resolves to complete a haunted mansion case the senior detectives had turned down for lack of manpower. Her adversary--and soon to be ally--invites himself as well.

Who is tormenting the Renbourn family? What is it about their house that is so intriguing, it may have attracted forces from beyond this world?

This is a pinch-hit episode, but for what it is, proves to be enjoyable.

• Doesn't hit the high notes of DiPesto's first detective adventure.

3.1
    Agnes rarely ventures from the office, and when she does, you'd expect it to be funny. Yeah, expect.

This episode was an experiment. But unlike those other ones where David and Maddie run offset with Whoopie Goldberg being chased in a golfcart by a man with a gun, it's not funny. It's not even amusing. Or entertaining. No, they added too much baking soda to these experimental Raisin and Cheddar Cheese muffins and they turned out tasting plain weird.

This episode was a ghost story. They played on Agnes' comic relief role and Herb's, to a degree, too. But it just came out cruel, unusual, and nonsensical.

The competition between Herb and Agnes for a start made little sense. Come on, she likes him too much. And Herb isn't that nasty as to flash his "company credit card" in her face and make her type up 50 files of notes.

It was unusual with the ghost element. Sure, Moonlighting is funny and romantic and action-packed. But Horror is pushing it a little too far (Up next week: Maddie and David are hired by Mulder and Scully to follow the Alien who won't stop joyriding in their car!). And it wasn't even funny this episode, I can't remember laughing at all. I just remember hearing Maddie and David's tired, paternal pattering dialog at the beginning and knowing "Oh, here we go, it's gonna be one of THOSE episodes..."

Non-sense? How did that doctor get there? What part of the story did we know he was the baddie? I don\'t remember him being there til the end. Gah, how are the viewers supposed to figure out whodunnit if the pieces aren\'t all laid out to us in the first 10 minutes??
    And Herb and Agnes...hating each other one minute, hugging the next? And Agnes taking initiative to take a case? And Agnes trying to run from the house to the library at 10pm at night after she agreed to do the case? Is any of this making sense to the reader?

The first DiPesto adventure was funny and engaging. She got herself into situations, was put in situations, and bumbled her way out. This time she wanted into a situation, made it worse, and fell in it with Herb and a ghost in a most unfunny way.

Not good enough.