Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Balsa, the Female Bodyguard

Aired Sunday 1:30 AM Aug 24, 2008 on Adult Swim

• I'm liking this so far.

The pilot episode of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit definitely doesn't feed around the bush, taking time to introduce characters, explain their backgrounds, and add in what their lives are currently like. As far as I've seen, it's pretty rare for a pilot episode of an anime to do that, but I actually like it better that way- it keeps me interested. I love Balsa- she's pushing 30 and is one of those anime characters that is independent, strong, and dominant; much like one of my favorite anime characters Cornelia from Code Geass. I look forward to watching more of this.
  • The newest anime in adult swim how good is it

This anime gets right to the point usually many animes would introduce the characters but this anime goes forget that and just starts plot. The plot is a bodyguard that has to guard a prince from assasins.The mains characters are Balsa is a bodyguard that has the personality as Laura Croft and a young prince. The animation is really good it looks like your watching an anime movie. The voice acting is okay Balsa is voiced by the person that voices the main character in ghost in the shell and she does a good job but most of the characters voices aren't that good there medicore at best. The setting is at a fantasy feudal Japan like Inuyasha. Overall it is really good and you should watch it.
  • Gets straight to the point

This feels more like a lengthy Chinese movie than a Japanese anime. First off, the music, the design, and the way the anime was introduced, is all an indication of this. Not to mention the productions are comparable to that of a movie, most specifically the Naruto ones. The first scene we're immediately introduced to a couple of conflicts; the Royal Prince is in danger as he goes careening into a deadly river as the ox driving the cart dives into the water. Balsa, a bodyguard for hire, saves the Royal Prince and is rewarded when later met upon by the Second Empress. Little did she know that the Empress wishes for her to be the prince's bodyguard for life. This has already swept me off my feet and has given me a good impression of what is about to come. The story is nicely introduced, the execution was excellent, and the graphics are just mind blowing for only an anime.