Mortal Kombat: The Animated Series

USA (ended 1996)

Mortal Kombat: The Animated Series Fan Reviews (7)

• The core premise is that Earthrealm has a team of fighters that work together in the war against Outworld armies. Sort of like G.I. Joe. That's the biggest difference from the game, but if you can get used to it, there's alot that works well.

7.7
    Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm wasn't bad for what it was. The show delves deeper into the Mortal Kombat mythology while also following some continuities from the feature film (Liu Kang's defeat of Sub Zero). I think they did a good job of representing most of the important characters that have appeared throughout the franchise. Everyone from Kano (first game) to Quan Chi (MK4) make an appearance. As I stated in the summary, the good guys from the game are teamed together, G.I. Joe style. It's a huge departure from the mythology, but it actually works well for the show. Each episode, they battle a different Outworld minion, with backstory or some sort of personal drama attached to a member of the team. Once i got used to it, I liked it. The fighting is also pretty good for a cartoon.
  • The cartoon follow up to the film. This series follows the good MK characters as they try to save Earth.

7.8
    This short series was released, as a follow up to the 1995 film adaption of the MK games. This in itself seems a rather odd choice, as the cartoon in itself is aimed at younger children but the film was rated '15'.
    I have long been a fan of the MK series, and was lucky enough to happen across the DVDs in a second-hand store, buying the lot for £3. Rather dissapointingly the DVD order was severely compromised, and was actually missing the episode "Sting of the Scorpion" however it was still a worthwhile purchase.
    The series itself follows the good characters from the series, as they attempt to save Earthrealm from being torn appart by its weakening Dimensional Fabric. Each episode features Rayden giving the team a mission in a "Charlies Angels" style, and then proceeds to follow the others in their attempts to fullfill it, normally focusing more on the story between 1 or 2 characters.
    A great feature of the series is that it tries to give you some backstory for the characters, including my personal favourite - a cartoon version of the "Element that Brings Life" scene from the film.

All told, the series is a follow on to a film which wasn't greatly recieved, and doesn't follow any canon storyline, but it is more than worthwhile for either avid MK or Anime fans, or just for someone looking for something to take up a little time.
  • Almost weird... if you follow the games any.

Nightwolf as a computer nerd... Sonya having problems being a woman... Rain and Kitana ex-lovers? Yeah sounds weird to any Mortal Kombat fan, but this is the show that was Mortal Kombat: Defenders of The Realm. I loved it as a kid, but now that I think back, it was kind of average. It will never get brought back, because other than Mortal Kombat fans, nobody is really interested. Mature viewers won\'t, want to see a childish version of MK. And children, will probably be kept away from the show, because it is involved around Mortal Kombat.

It was entertaining though, and I wouldn\'t mind seeing a DVD come out.
  • it was one of the best represtations of mortal kombat media I've ever seen and Scorpion looked so cool.

They gave Scorpion a way cool oufit and made him look cooler.They brought Cyrax, Smoke& Sektor (who wasn\'t in the movie).Sure Sub-Zero\'s costume sucked, but it was from the orginal MK3 what could you expect.And put Noob Saibot and Smoke on who forces Scorpion & Sub-Zero to team up since he is the O SUB-ZERO and onl y scorpion can stop him.Have SCORPION find out that Quan-Chi killed his clan and family. Have Scorpion on MORE EPISODES and have it go to MK:gold to MK:DEADLY ALLIANCE to MK:DECEPTION with SCORPION defeating ONAGA the Dragom King.Make SHINNOK HAVE A FEW appearances.HAVE Jax Fight MONTARRO. HAVE GORO defy SHAO KAHN. Or release it all on dvd! sorry about the upper case it was so I made sur I spelled everything the right way.
  • I Think this old show was great and classic. They should bring it back. My favorite characters are Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Reptile. I like games and movies now bring the show back. People will like this idea too. Scorpion and Sub-Zero fight againt.

I Think Mortal Kombat should live for ever. So bring it back. We want fights againt, we want good, we want evil, we want action, and we want pain. There no fighting show better. The people like the show anyway. We like the women too. We want real Mortal Kombat so bring it back thank you
  • A great addition to the Mortal Kombat story, allowing you to know about your favourite kombatants!

This is one great show! They have fleshed out the stories for each of the character part of the Mortal Kombat series. I just wish that the show was brought back with a new season or two. Especially like the vocal talent for the show, since they add a lot of personality and form a good match for the character! I'd buy the DVD if it were available in my nearest store.
  • Classic

They should bring it back i loved the chow and the characters they were so cool my favorite character was Princess Kitana because she was so calm and didnt let things get to het i i really think they should bring it back for the generation younger than me so please bring it back.