Most Haunted Forums

Living (ended 2010)

Is Most Haunted a hoax?

mattpitt1991

[1]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 32
    There have been lots of rumours about whether Most Haunted is a hoax.

This post is a good place to answer in your opinion and gather information or proof (especially from Most Haunted Live) to discover whether it may be a hoax or not.

I personally think it's not a hoax and it is real, but some people may disagree. I have no proof to say whether it is a hoax or real at the moment.

Please try and gather information, whether it is against or for this case and leave a comment on your opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GuidesAndThat

[2]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 50
    I think there is little logic in calling Most Haunted a hoax for many reasons and they're all based on that thing your mother always told you 'if you tell a lie you will always get found out'. I'll give a couple of examples.

Firstly, the team deal with factual places, they can't just go into places and make up stuff without risk of it being found out to be untrue by owners of the respective locations.

Secondly, Yvette and Karl have made a production business out of doing just this one show. You don't risk your livelihoods on a lie.

I could go on but then I'm really getting into my own beliefs about ghosts. The only thing which I always had my doubts about with this show was Derek (sorry Derek fans!) < rant > I am almost definate the guy rigged every seance he was involved in cos he would just not take his flipping hands off the table! < /rant>

Anyway I hope I'm right, that it's not a hoax, because it's about time reality TV shows took the subject seriously enough to do these kind of investigations in an completely honest way.

Kingy78

[3]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 8
    Its a bit of both really. I have seen the mirror article and there is no denying the picture of Karl touching Jon the soundman. But to be honest I don't think the entire most haunted series has been a hoax, they have been to genuine haunted places that are in the record books and I do believe they have caught some genuine footage. I think when things are a little quiet at places maybe some things can be added to spice up the episodes from Karl, Yvette etc but I don't believe all of most haunted has been a hoax, I think there is avid ghost hunters out there that are looking for genuine paranormal activity Richard Felix etc, and I believe they have caught some good footage.

Ian.

doctorginge

[4]Jan 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    GuidesAndThat wrote:
    I am almost definate the guy rigged every seance he was involved in cos he would just not take his flipping hands off the table! .

Thats exactly what i think but now Gordon Smith is on i think it works a lot better. Not just the medium but the tenseness in the air.

Kingy78

[5]Jan 1, 2006
    • level: 8
    (sorry Derek fans!) < rant > I am almost definate the guy rigged every seance he was involved in cos he would just not take his flipping hands off the table! < /rant>

Not all the time, there was times on the live shows etc where Yvette would tell Derek to take his hands off the table and he did.

Ian.

GuidesAndThat

[6]Jan 1, 2006
    Kingy78 wrote:
    GuidesAndThat wrote:
    (sorry Derek fans!) < rant > I am almost definate the guy rigged every seance he was involved in cos he would just not take his flipping hands off the table! < /rant>

Not all the time, there was times on the live shows etc where Yvette would tell Derek to take his hands off the table and he did.

Ian.

But then, more often than not, the table stopped moving. It was so frustrating, not being able to completely rule out the possibility that Derek was influencing the outcome of the seance.

GuidesAndThat

[7]Jan 1, 2006
    doctorginge wrote:
    GuidesAndThat wrote:
    I am almost definate the guy rigged every seance he was involved in cos he would just not take his flipping hands off the table! .

Thats exactly what i think but now Gordon Smith is on i think it works a lot better. Not just the medium but the tenseness in the air.

Plus there's a consistancy between what he says and what David says that rarely happened with Derek. Also have you noticed that we rarely saw David and Derek in the same room together, yet David and Gordon seem to regularly be seen on the same shot discussing between them what they are sensing and finishing each others sentances. This is probably what helps create the tension, that they both simultanously reveal the same information. Spooky.

watcher1490

[8]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 2
    I love this show - hoax or not. The places are cool and the history behind them is fun to hear. I hope it is not a hoax because it make all the unexplainable things that happen so much better. I tend to think that Derek IS a bit over the top but some of what he says is confirmed by history or by another medium. I agree also that he seems to be more of a showman and that you have to take a lot of what he says and interpret it with your own beliefs.

DS-man

[9]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    Its not a Hoax, cos people from the streets can go on it, and on live TV you cant fake it with computer editing, cos somtimes you can see a ghost, even if you look on the the Internet whilst the Live show is going on.

GuidesAndThat

[10]Jan 7, 2006
    DS-man wrote:
    Its not a Hoax, cos people from the streets can go on it, and on live TV you cant fake it with computer editing, cos somtimes you can see a ghost, even if you look on the the Internet whilst the Live show is going on.

I think it'll be a few years before internet technology develops enough for those webcams to be taken seriously. The picture quality and frame rate is just too low to prove anything. Maybe when we get HDTV over the internet I'll be able to say "Ooh look, a ghost!" without thinking "was that just a badly encoded MPEG?"

mattpitt1991

[11]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 32
    Yeah, I agree. When Most Haunted Live is on, people ALWAYS send in what they think they've seen, and it's ALWAYS different or the medium never detects the type of person.

Minarvia

[13]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 39

Okay, as an American whom watchs the show on the Travel Channel here in the US. We also have Ghost Hunters on the SF Channel, whom recently did their first live broadcast in the Standly Hotel.

Now, I think the show is a mixture of real stuff and hoaxes. Granted some of the stuff that they get can't be faked like the guys getting cut in the second Halloween live episode. But, I think that some of the stuff is fake, like every time that they get a bug or a piece of dust that is hightlighted by the light of the cammera is an orb.

Edited on 11/02/2006 6:23pm

LDG78

[14]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 5

You can fake a cut or scratches.

My Mom watched a show about a year ago that showed how it's done.

raging_monkey

[15]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 9
    do you really think that they could cut themselves that deep?

LDG78

[17]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 5

It can be done, but that deep, don't know.   That's what keeps people watching, because either Most Haunted keeps it interesting or they really do have unexplained things happen.

I just watch for fun.

Minarvia

[18]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 39
    LDG78 wrote:
    I just watch for fun.

Yeah that true, the only part of the show that I like is the historical element to the show. Every snice I being watching "Ghost Hunters", I view their footage with a little bit of grain of salt.

[19]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 1
    How can you say the shows real when all they catch is there faces going "OMG" or "Did you see that?!". See what?! For f*** sake, what did they see? And do they even present the evidence? Ghost Hunters is REAL, these MH guys are jokes...I sit there and laugh at them. More like a comedy than an actual investigation.

Cheryl999

[20]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 1

Hi all,

it's me Cheryl aka angelduster9. I had to start a new name because I couldn't log in with the old one. Oh well.  I don't think MH is a hoax, at least I hope it's not.  I am a fan of Derek's but I think he's a bit flashy and does it also for the entertainment factor. I can't get used to the show with Gordon Smith on it. Don't really like him but I do like David Wells actually better than both of them.

I'm in Canada we get MH on w network Fridays, saturdays and sundays.

Take care, Cheryl.