Mr. Show with Bob and David

HBO (ended 1998)

Mr. Show with Bob and David Fan Reviews (24)

• Mr. Show is the show that, in my mind, changed my entire perception of what is comedy. Bob and David (along with John, Jay, Brian, Paul, Tom and Jill) created the BEST sketch comedy show ever.

The first episode of Mr. Show pretty much tells what it is. "America asked for it, and we gave them a brand new sketch comedy show atarring two people they've never heard of." But a young David Cross and Bob Odenkirk struck gold with one of the funniest and smartest television shows in recent memory.

Mr. Show was a new breed of sketch comedy, where all of the sketches were linked together in a clever live/taped segment. The show originally aired on HBO at midnight on mondays, leading to very few viewers. But despite the timeslot, Mr. Show earned a cult following due to the excellent quality of the show.

The only (and I mean only) reason that this show doesn't get a 10/10 is because it only ran for 30 episodes. Since the show has ended, the cast has gone their separate ways. David Cross became a movie and television star, starring in Ron Howard's Arrested Development. Bob Odenkirk has spent time directing and working on Melvin Goes to Dinner and the infamous Miller Presidential commericals. Tom Kenny went on to marry fellow Mr. Show alum Jill Talley as well as do the voice of Nickolodeon's Spongebob Squarepants. Paul F. Tompkins has been working with VH1 on some of their MANY clip shows. John Ennis went on to be the star pitcher of the Atlanta Braves. Jay Johnstone washed my car this morning.

But as I digress, I would like to say Mr. Show deserves to go down in history as one of the best sketch-comedy shows of all time.