Mr. Show with Bob and David

HBO (ended 1998)

Mr. Show with Bob and David Fan Reviews (24)

• "Well... They took the OJ Police Chase and... they replaced OJ with the Pope and... there was this Pope Expert who was..."

When one thinks of sketch comedy, such names as Monty Python, SNL, and Mad TV come to mind but what about a lesser name in sketch comedy? That lesser name I'm talking about is Mr. Show with Bob and David. Comedians David Cross and Bob Odenkirk teamed up in early 1995 to do a travelling sketch comedy stage show which they called "Mr. Show". During one of their performances, a couple of HBO executives showed up and decided to make Mr. Show into a sketch comedy TV show.

If you haven't heard of or seen Mr. Show, I suggest you do so immediately. It is a show which is impossible to explain to someone. If you've seen Mr. Show, try to explain it to someone. "Well... They took the OJ Police Chase and... they replaced OJ with the Pope and... there was this Pope Expert who was..." Yeah, There's a lot lost in translation. Which is why you should see it for yourselves. It is one of the single greatest sketch comedy shows I've ever seen. Better than Mad TV, Better than SNL, and I'd have to say right up there with Monty Python's Flying Circus as a classic.

Now, if you give a damn, you may be asking, "How do I see this Mr. Show?" Well, unfortunately the show ended after 4 seasons. Recently, Comedy Central has been showing a lot of reruns, mainly editted and censored because of the language and content. (They had total freedom because the show was on HBO.) I finally got the 1st DVD in the series, Seasons 1 & 2. It is GREAT. Mr. Show is my favourite TV show. It is incredibly funny and some totally priceless moments throughout.

The show's flow is very unique. One sketch will lead right into the next. A minor character in one sketch could end up being the focus of the next. The absurdity is taken to a level I've never seen before on a television show. "Only British People Can Fly" is a good example of how absurd some of the sketches are.

The cast is also very interesting. Aside from Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, The regular cast members include Tom Kenny(Voice of Heffer on Rocko's Modern Life and the voice of Spongebob Squarepants... Trust me, he's a lot funnier on Mr. Show.), John Ennis, and sometimes Jack Black. Mr. Show does borrow a little tradition from both Mad TV and SNL and that is the singing. Mr. Show features a lot of singing and musical gags too. For example, the sketch "Jeepers Creepers: Semi-Star" is a very strange musical spoof on "Jesus Christ: Superstar" and let's not forget "Fuzz: The Musical," which is essentially a musical version of the hit show "Cops".

Anyway, Overall... Mr. Show is one of the most brilliant, wacky, and funny sketch comedy shows you will ever see. I recommend it... HIGHLY.