Mr. Sunshine Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

will it last?

stui8

[21]Apr 4, 2011
    • level: 30

i think its canceled the season finale is this week.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Writerpatrick

[22]Apr 8, 2011
    • level: 13

It seems it has been pulled, despite supposedly having another 4 episodes to go. And the ratings for the past week weren't that bad; ABC should have let it run out. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up again to be burned-off during the summer.

It's also airing in Canada, although it's hard to say if the last four episodes will appear in Canada or not. The show was being aired a couple days earlier than the US so it's possible they have a different source.

DennisVeldhui

[23]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 5
    I really do hope soi, I really enjoy the show and think it has potential. Matthew Perry is great as always and he deserves an own show.

LEt's all support the series and make ABC keep it on for a while

Writerpatrick

[24]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 13
    It seems the Canadian stations have something called "Robinson Arms" scheduled in it's place. So that's it for the series, with the possible exception of a summer burn-off. It's hard to say if any DVDs will turn up, although there has been more of a trend to burning off shows on the Internet.

yehielc

[25]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 4

I most say, the show was slow at start for me, but i really like it!

so manylikablecharacters, i hope they will give it another season, i think it can work well!

fanboy34

[26]Sep 28, 2013
    • level: 11

I just finished watching this with the episodes in the supposedly intended order. Having a couple of the story lines jumbled up by airing episodes out of order certainly did not help a marginal series like Mr Sunshine. The same thing helped kill Apartment 23. I think Mr Sunshine could have found its footing in a full season with ten more episodes or so. The ensemble were fine and they had some nice running gags with the mascot and the "Bobert" name thing. The deranged PA guy could have been funnier if he didn't seem to just pop up from nowhere after a bunch of episodes.

Sad to say, but, Matthew Perry here was too much of a Chandler Bing in spite of any effort he may have made to act differently. Also, I know it's totally shallow, but, they let him perform with baggy eyes and make his character seem even more "too old" to have been with the perky blonde Andrea Anders. I wish the guy well but the basic failure of the show has to hang on him. I kind of wish we had seen the same gang of supporting characters around a different, perhaps more understated lead actor. Perry flails around too much like an early Jerry Lewis and the facial reactions are a self-caricature now. It was fine fifteen years ago, just not so much anymore.

By the way, the opening theme (drone - you'd hardly call it a song) was too downbeat as well. Whoever approved it must have a screw loose. Someone may have already mentioned it but it seemed like we were almost watching a dress rehearsal of a high school play in some scenes. I can't quite put my finger on it, just a sense of the set pieces being kind of tatty or some such thing. Still - I hope we get to see some of the other actors do similar roles in another workplace sitcom soon. All of the mistakes of Mr Sunshine are really easy to sort out.