Mr. Sunshine

Lingerie Football

Aired Wednesday 9:30 PM Mar 16, 2011 on ABC

7.3
  • Lingerie Football...

I had high hopes for Mr. Sunshine after last week took a great step in the right direction for the show, and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Now two weeks running the show has managed to find a great balance between the usual silly sitcom humour that you'd expect from any 20 minute outing and a nice bit of emotional based, character driven plot lines. "Lingerie Football" sees Alonzo trying to get money out of egotistic billionaires for a children's charity and Ben trying to score with a beautiful quarterback. So as not to make it even remotely demanding viewing, the writers seemed to have decided to split what you should be feeling between the parallel stories. As Alonzo fails to impress the young billionaires, Alice steps in and decides rather than wooing them, simply to get them drunk and play them off of each other. The arc brings in a few laughs and keeps the show grounded as Ben tries to audit Crystal.

Having to finish hastily if he has any chance with the football player, Ben tries to speed through the menial task set by Crystal, only to discover that it is really just a cry for attention. Having broken up with one of her many husbands on the same day many years before, Crystal is lonely and wants Ben's company. Still, in the hopes of sex, Ben forces her to confront this long lost lover and it leads to the most emotional scene of the show so far (also Allison Janney singing is just cool).

Overall this was a pretty great little episode of Mr. Sunshine. If the show continues to develop like this I may even go so far as to say that a second season wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened.