MTV Video Music Awards

Sunday 9:00 PM on MTV - Music Television Premiered Sep 14, 1984 Special

MTV Video Music Awards Fan Reviews (13)

6.6
  • Try and watch every year.

I can tell I am getting older b/c I don't know hardly anyone on the show. Not bad.
  • If you're into following celebrities, this is for you.

Great stuff to watch! Lots of stunts and empowering music performances for the music fan. Videos don't get enough credits these days, because they put a lot of visual effects and graphics that are hard to make to make the lyrics presentable.
  • Awesome Gaga!

Lady Gaga's performance was an awesome start to the show. It's hard for any act to follow her and not be a let-down, but the rest of the show was fast-paced and visually exciting. May not always agree with who got the awards, but the performances were cool to watch. You get to see who has the real talent when they have to perform live. Cool show, cool live webcast.

• The VMA's no longer reward artistic, forward-thinking video-making. Rather, the VMA's exist to serve the corporate interests of the parent company and sponsors. The nominees in all categories were a disgrace.

1.5
    I have never written a review on a TV show before, but watching this really compelled me to do so. I have watched the VMA's for at least 15 years now and it never quite dawned on me how the show simply exists to push forth corporate interests. It is sad that the VMA's no longer exist as a forum to showcase progressive, artistic merit in video making. Case in point, Britney Spears video that raked in the awards - not impressed. Was there truly no videos made this year that were better than this one? It seemed as if MTV has an agenda of re-igniting her career. Perhaps they just wanted to justify their choice of Ms. Spears as the opening guest. Or maybe they just like to use her as a kind of Cinderella story, returning from the netherworld of B-list Paparazzi fodder. Whatever it was, I can almost guarantee that it wasn't the high quality of her video that gave her the awards.

Another example... Little Wayne. Don't get me wrong, I think his music is exciting and different, but his video for Lollipop is truly unremarkable. Rapper riding in a limousine with attractive women, rapper at pool party with attractive women, we've seen this before. In fact, I would say that most of this had been done ten to fifteen years before. Maybe the song is noteworthy, but the award show is supposed to be about the video, isn't it? I could go on (I don't even want to get started on Danity Kane, whoever they are), but the point is obvious, whoever decides upon nominees and awardees for the VMA has little to no interest in video quality. And, unfortunately, since good artistry in video making is no longer valued, why should the artists bother to do anything new or risky. But then again, if MTV doesn't play videos anymore, then I guess there is not much point in having the VMA's at all besides to hype up their network.

As far as the rest of the show went, mediocre at best. Brand was sometimes funny, but kind of a fish out of water. But I can't help but laugh at the Jonas brother's promise ring. -Jonathan
  • MTV is wayyyyyyyyyy past its prime.

1.3
    The awards show only serves to remind people that MTV has lost its way (along with VH-1). Both networks have become a sea of pointless reality TV shows that have virtually nothing to do with music videos.

I remember when MTV and VH-1 showed 90% music videos and maybe 10% of things like "Beavis and Butthead" or "Remote Control" or the excellent "Liquid Television". Now its reversed. Unless you are on 24 missile watch at NORAD in the dead of night, youre unlikely to see many music videos on MTV. Even M2 has gotten as bad a MTV itself. MTV is no longer about music. It all went downhill when REAL WORLD started airing in the early 90s.

Maybe someone out there will create a network that shows music videos 24/7 and NOTHING else.
  • Total letdown.

4.7
    This year's VMAs promised to be awesome, with performers like Kanye West, Britney's much hyped return, and Alicia Keys. While in actuality, Alicia's performance was pretty much the only good thing in the whole show, but even that was disrupted by a fight between Kid Rock and Tommy Lee. Britney's 'performance'- like her life was a total trainwreck and letdown. Wearing that outfit was just bad taste. And half the time she forgot how to lip synch and the other half she forgot how to sing. The show were switching everywhere one party to another never giving us a real view of any performance.
  • Wasn't very good this year.

Yeh, it wasn't as good this year as the previous years. Britney Spears was a horrible start to the show! Coming on barely naked, what was she thinking, she looked terrible and her whole performance was terrible! She looked like a Sl*t! And I didn't like the song that much either. The show seemed like a mess this year with everyone every where. The best performance of the night was definitely Chris Brown! He is such an amazing dancer and performer. I also liked, Kanye West, Rihanna and 50 Cent. Rihanna did well overall, and she was drunk later on lol.
    All I can say was I wasn't that impressed!
  • This years VMA's promised a not to miss performance from Miss Spears and a party not soon to be forgotten.

We were lied to! This years VMA's were awful. It looked as though a child with sever ADD put the show together. Boucing everywhere from one party to another never giving us a full view of anything and half the time with mic's were off. Brit looked drunk and half alive. Maybe it was to early in the day for her or to late? Either way the perfomance not to miss was easily forgotten and Sarah Silverman who is usually pretty funny got no laughs for her obvious unprepared monolog insulting Brit's kids *like they had a choice?!* and Amy Winehouse for being jewish???
    I can't tell you what happened after they cut off Adam Lavine because I turned off the TV. I couldn't do it anymore, I felt like I needed some Rydelin!
  • The MTV Video Music Awards were a huge let down this year. I felt like a child with ADD watching amateurs parade around as if they had some kind of talent. I thought this was an award show, so, where were the awards?

3.5
    I'm a annual watcher of the MTV Video Music Awards, and I honestly used to be a huge Britney Spears fan. I was let down enormously by the effortless performance by Ms. Spears to open the show. She seemed dazed and confused, and a bit shy. I was even astonished to see that it was hard for her to lip sync towards the end of her song. To make matters worse, this dreadful performance was followed by uncalled jokes by Sarah Silverman, and a pretty stagnant crowd. Most of the performances on the main stage looked like amateurs trying to show some kind of talent, which wasn't visible at all. The short performances, with easy dance numbers, and obvious lip syncing shows that almost anyone can make it in the music business as long as they have a pretty face. Where has all the real talent gone? The only decent performance was the finale, which was mostly enjoyable because it meant the torture was over. Better luck next year MTV. Maybe you can use this whole year to make an actual AWARD show, where you give out more awards, and have better performers.
  • VMA 2007-Brittany IS still good/Props must be made to old skool/MTV still sucks and finally a celeb says so- Justin Timberlake

7.9
    First- MTV sucks because-- NO music in this MUSIC TeleVision paid channel. All reality and scripted inane shows. NO MUSIC videos. the 15 or so channels we pay for on basic cable-- MTV should keep MTV1 -- with music videos and then have MTV-Shows channel or somethingm, eh? What a concept?! MTV overall got a 3.5-- because the moon man award statue is STILL NOT archiac... yet. The present technology ==we still may have a "future" to live on moon.. other than that it was a night of missed opportunities from a supposed media savvy entity!

Brittney- first off I thought she looked GREAT- a NORMAL trimmed tummy- no "painted on " abs ala Janet Jackson-- a REAL woman that had 2 babies and toned her tummy the best she could in a short time from all her personal prob time... BUT.. I believe those thin high heeled boots really freaked her out-- she took her steps with such trepidation and hesitation-- there deifinitely was something up with her footwear bothering her and perhaps-- she was NOT prepared to have all huge industry celebs right in her face sitting right up front with the stage lights on them just as well on her-- it just seemed as soon as she turned around - BAM- she is shocked that she is performing for her peers instead of the normal "sheep" MTV pays to put out in front to get camera angles of how much fun everyone is forced to have-- so she got real critical stares right off. And Just looked at some other reviews saying how fat Brit looked-- Uh????!!!! Lookk up archives of FIVE YEARS ago-- with her MTV performance with python--same exact body- tummy a little more trim then-- but same exact slim body!!! Showing less cleavage (pre breast feeding days) But same exact body-- look up the archives on any google photo searchh of Brittany in past 5 years.
    Silverman-- get her off all media now-- NOT funny woman-- I saw her in LA at a few comedy clubs in 2005-- she was bad then-- NO ONE would laugh and she is bad now. Alisha--- hey?! What about this concept-- the only way Alisha got all energized and passionate was singing a COVER SONG?! And then MTV and Alisha didn't see THAT opportunity of having George Michael stepping on stage to enchance his written lyrics to pass it over to Alisha? I actually thought-- Well MTV would be savvy to have GMichael on; so I guess he must be deceased because MTV wouldn't blow thqat old school to new would they? YEP they did.

Justin-- so true words have never been-- MTV is NOT Music TeleVision-- it is reality shows and stupied scripted shows. He meant "Simpons" to be the cartoon show NOT Jessica or Ashlee shows as the AP reported tonight.. MTV is becoming a yada ya da ya da/ blah blah blah channel-- in addition-- why all this bleeping of profanity usage??? People must PAY to have cable/direct TV-- they buy the cds/ no minor that watches MTV would NOT be aware of obscene lyrics.. I doubt Latter Day Saints or Muslims or Johavah Witnesses are watching the VMAs not to be shocked by so much skin, obscense language; and ebonics...

What is insane-- Jennifer Garner not knowing how to adlib with her cohost/costar jaime Foxx-- but then she can't even properly announce the Best New Artist?!!! "Winner is.. Gym... Shirt.. Fallout.." and then MTV never mentioned any correction or an easy "By the way folks, Fall Out Boy was the winner..." What total unprofessionalism and confirmation; MTV should just be on free tv-- Fox Faux channel or something.. 5th grade closed circuit on campus programs are BETTER than this production-- without the artists/performers-- and VIDEOS-- MTV sucks!

Closing show-- Nelly just doesn't have it for me. Justin got his game up by the competition of Chris Brown-- again-- forget what George Michael got "caught" doing or Michael Jackson was accused and acquited for doing-- music television needs to focus on the artists that brought THIS artistry to the artists of today-- and perhaps tip a hat to say -- thanks Michaels-- George and Jackson, eh? Alisha should have said something-- it is VERY poor reflection on an artist to close their set with a cover song... Clive Davis should have told her this.

Uh- the suite sets-- Lemme sounded dead and looked worse that Keith Richards.. just awful. Then that young guy that was up on the theater balcony singing-- he was so bad-- looked like Aaron Carter or someone? What the heck was that? Kanye has a point of-- he has #1 CD but can't get a main stage performance? But perhaps-- MTV was going for those that need promotion-- if you are already #1; give others a break, eh? Good karma .. but MTV MUST play more music videos and put MTV 2 thru 15 -- put your "shows" on those alternative stations.. sheesh-- didn't anyonee take Media Production 101 at NYU?!!!

the peer group all looked bored... what the artists needed to do is think of SOMETHING to impress their peers-- Chris Broown the youngest in age and experience -- Did it!_- do old school for these "old timer" experienced industry play homage to someone they knew and also do YOUR new gig on stage too... Alisha did it too-- but the blatant missed opp--- George Michale walks on stage to do his song-- like I doubt he was too busy to do so...did ANYONE even call him?!!!

Brittney's voice on the recorded song-- sounds good; live who knows? But did ANYONE ever accuse Brittany as being a great LIVE singer? No -- just the dance and the attitude-- she kind of just went thru the dance motions-- no energy; but I bet it was those darn boots that were kiling her; 2)shock of P Diddy staring right at her 3)Heard Silverman's uncooth jokes about her defenseless children at rehearsal 4) her GOOD ex Justin and all his glory - if they ARE good friends now--Justin, stand up to the plate and help your friend out!!! Justin and Britt should have done some kind of duet.. sheesh-- where is the HUMANITY?!!!!

suite section was BORING-- but was amazed at how fast and how often Rhinna kept changing her clothes! And I think she did shut up and drive live with Fall Out -- but then I saw her lips NOT move to her voice... so I guess no one really sang live tonight-- not even Alisha-- didn't anyone notice HER lips NOT moving when she turned to play her keyboard and her voice was going on.. then she rolled her eyes as if realizing her mistake??? the end-- and I guess Dr Dre is on HGH and steroids now too?!
  • Where's Chris Rock???

I will have to admit that I have not watched the whole show in it's entirety since Chris Rock was the host. I honestly believe that if you are going to do an award show, you should have him as your host every time. He's hilarious and he honestly could care less who you are, he'll make fun of you. So, I honestly will watch this if there is nothing else on TV, BUT I will definitely watch the whole thing in it's entirety if Chris is the host. Love him.... If you want more people tuning in, this would be the way to go.
  • Its not as good as it used to be

4.8
    The last good VMA I watched was in 1998...I think. I realized that after that year, it slowly started to suck. I try to take a peek at a new VMA every year, but I just end up either falling asleep, changing the channel, or wonder why they still show this.
  • The 2005 VMAs were fantastic. Great performances, and awards going to the right people.

With Diddy as our host, there was a chance the VMAs were going to be dull, with a self-centred name-changing man presenting. But it wasn't.

Green Day kicked off the show with a 10 out of 10 performance of 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'. They went on to clean up, picking up 7 awards out of 8 nominations. Other stand out performances included Kanye West and Jamie Foxx performing Gold Digger, from Kanye's new album 'Late Registration'. R.Kelly performed a one-man video for his song, 'Trapped In The Closet' and Kelly Clarkson closed proceedings with a performance of 'Sine U Been Gone.' Kelly won 2 awards herself, including best female video.

The 2005 were the best VMAs in several years, and I'm proud to say that I'm watching the repeats of it.