MTV Video Music Awards

Sunday 9:00 PM on MTV - Music Television Premiered Sep 14, 1984 Special

MTV Video Music Awards Fan Reviews (13)

6.7
  • The VMA's no longer reward artistic, forward-thinking video-making. Rather, the VMA's exist to serve the corporate interests of the parent company and sponsors. The nominees in all categories were a disgrace.

1.5
    I have never written a review on a TV show before, but watching this really compelled me to do so. I have watched the VMA's for at least 15 years now and it never quite dawned on me how the show simply exists to push forth corporate interests. It is sad that the VMA's no longer exist as a forum to showcase progressive, artistic merit in video making. Case in point, Britney Spears video that raked in the awards - not impressed. Was there truly no videos made this year that were better than this one? It seemed as if MTV has an agenda of re-igniting her career. Perhaps they just wanted to justify their choice of Ms. Spears as the opening guest. Or maybe they just like to use her as a kind of Cinderella story, returning from the netherworld of B-list Paparazzi fodder. Whatever it was, I can almost guarantee that it wasn't the high quality of her video that gave her the awards.

Another example... Little Wayne. Don't get me wrong, I think his music is exciting and different, but his video for Lollipop is truly unremarkable. Rapper riding in a limousine with attractive women, rapper at pool party with attractive women, we've seen this before. In fact, I would say that most of this had been done ten to fifteen years before. Maybe the song is noteworthy, but the award show is supposed to be about the video, isn't it? I could go on (I don't even want to get started on Danity Kane, whoever they are), but the point is obvious, whoever decides upon nominees and awardees for the VMA has little to no interest in video quality. And, unfortunately, since good artistry in video making is no longer valued, why should the artists bother to do anything new or risky. But then again, if MTV doesn't play videos anymore, then I guess there is not much point in having the VMA's at all besides to hype up their network.

As far as the rest of the show went, mediocre at best. Brand was sometimes funny, but kind of a fish out of water. But I can't help but laugh at the Jonas brother's promise ring. -Jonathan