Mulberry

BBC (ended 1993)

RoxieVelma

Mulberry Fan Reviews (3)

7.3
  • If you never saw this show, go out of your way to catch it in any form possible. It is funny, sad and wonderful all at the same time. Mulberry is truly his mother's son rather than his father's.

I recently got to see all all 13 episodes that make up the entire two series. I'm extremely upset that the BBC would cancel the show when there was only one more series planned that would have wrapped the show up. The concept, writing and acting were all top notch with special notice of the chemistry between Mulberry (Karl Howman)
    and Miss Farnaby (Geraldine McEwan). It was a small and apparently overlooked show, however its quality certainly cannot be questioned.

If it had been allowed to finish out its run it would have demonstrated how multi-seasonal programs can be plotted with a beginning, middle and end resulting in quality programming without resulting to ratings to push a program beyond its limits resulting in a total disaster. Several programs come to mind in this latter category, but the one that immediately springs to mind is "The X-Files." Of the former category "Babylon 5" spring into my consciousness. However it would have been better for B-5 if Warner Bros. and the syndicated network running the show had not played games resulting in a semi-disjointed ending since they never knew until very late in the production cycle that there would indeed be a 5th season as J. Michael Straczynski
    its creator had planned resulting in many plot threads being completed in season 4.

All this rambling aside and even without an third series to end the show I repeat: See this show by any means necessary, you won't be sorry.
  • The new servant at Miss Farnaby's estate uses gentle, and not so gentle, humor to coax the reclusive grump into happier interactions. A Mysterious Stranger unnerves the protective new servant at Miss Farnaby's estate. The audience is tickled and wanting t

In one of the niftier "Britcoms" I've seen, Mulberry can surprise you by making you chuckle one moment, then surprise you with a quietly poignant moment the next. Some could say it's predictable, and to a degree, it is once you understand the premise of the show. Yet the charasmatic leads- Karl Howman and Geraldine McEwan- are perfectly cast as the fun and enigmatic Mulberry and the mischevious, grumpy, lovely Miss Farnaby, respectively.

As Bert and Alice, Tony Selby and Lill Roughley (as I've seen only the first series) are fun as the long-suffering handiman and cook of Miss Farnaby. Their relationships with Miss Farnaby, Mulberry, and each other are fun to watch.

As I noted, I've only seen some of the first series of the show, but I really enjoy the languid pacing (you feel the ending abruptly interrupts your time with the cast sometimes)and the relationships between the main four characters. I also enjoy the premise, which is niftily presented.

I highly recommend this show to anyone. Parents might also use this to springboard into deeper discussions, as it's a very gentle show with a recurring bit of edge.
  • Unfairly cancelled

This was a rather interesting little program on British television.

I caught it in reruns on American Public Television, as part of the "BritComs" evening on a local Public Television Station in NYC.

For those who don't know it, Mulberry, the title character is the son of DEATH, and he has been assigned to "take" an elderly woman named Miss Farnaby. But Mulberry is also the son of Springtime, and as such, has feelings for Miss Farnaby, whom he learns has been alone for many years now, and once he takes her, will die alone.

So Mulberry asks his mother to grant Miss Farnaby three months, during which, he will attempt to get her to live life, before he has to take it away from her.

Unfortunately, the All-Powerful Beeb canceled it before the program actually "ended", so we never got to see what happens.

Thankfully though, Geraldine McEwan (Miss Farnaby) is now in the role of "Jane Marple" in "Agatha Christie's Miss Marple", so we at least get to see her there.

But I would still like to see an "ending", even though it would be rather sad, being that Miss Farnaby would die and all, but I have hopes that it at least ends somewhat happily.