Muppet Babies Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

I think I know what is keeping MB from getting a dvd release

suchalady1

[1]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 17
    What is probably preventing MB from being released on dvd is all of the Movie and tv show clips used on the cartoon. Disney probably can't relase the show due to the copyrights of those clip
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rapturerogue

[2]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 45

Disney has a bad habit of buying up film/tv properties and locking them away in the vault, never to be seen again...

And a lot of the clips used in MB were either public domain or from films that were associated with Jim Henson Studios.

darklordavaitor

[3]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 21
    Well,that and the music licensing.

kirbyblue

[4]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 13
    I don't see how they were able to include these clips in the first place. I mean it's like some of the clips used on there were used on Muppet Babies back when these were brand new. Usually in a TV show they would edit something out due to copyright. So I don't see how they can include them back then when they can't include them now where they were older.

1980srule

[5]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 23
    How come several years back  some Muppet Babies episodes made it onto VHS? I dont understand this at all.

quickquick

[6]May 30, 2007
    • level: 1

1980srule wrote:
    How come several years back some Muppet Babies episodes made it onto VHS? I dont understand this at all.

Well, I was used to watch the MB on Discovery Kids when it was used to transmitting at morning, But somehow in Brazil it stopped, dunno what happened, so I'd like to ask you guys: Is it just in Brazil or the Muppets stop showing all world TV's ?

Just quoting something else, do you remember this one: " Who's Afraid of The Big, Bad Dark? "  jeeezz, this is the most amazing MB episode, music, lyrics, laughs, etc !

I'm dying to get this one on my computer, So if anybody knows how can i get, please contact me on my email ( quickk41@yahoo.com.br )

or MSN messenger ( julian_quick@hotmail.com )  

thank you so much!  

skyvolt2000

[7]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 27
    1980srule wrote:
    How come several years back  some Muppet Babies episodes made it onto VHS? I dont understand this at all.

Check to see what episodes they were. I bet some of those were shows with clips that could be used with copyright fees or they were Disney owned clips.

suchalady1

[8]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 17

1980srule wrote:
    How come several years back some Muppet Babies episodes made it onto VHS? I dont understand this at all.

Well, that was before Disney bought The Jim Henson company. In my opinion, Disney is too cheap to pay the Money to get be able to get the rights to those clips. If they did bother to spend the money to get the rights to the clips, and then put MB on dvd, they could make up for the money with DVD Sales.

Daffyfan2005

[9]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 7

Actually I wanted to post something about this on the GAC forums, but they closed the thread. I guess I'll say what I want to say here. People have mentioned problems with MB and "Alvin and the Chipmunks" getting DVD releases because of copyright issues. The latter used real songs from movies. Personally, I think they could have worked around that. Heck, I've even seen individual eps of MB for sale when you buy a Muppet Babies plush toy. If they have to make cuts for the DVD release, it's better than nothing. I just got the last season of ALF the other day. Now even though those are edited,I'm still glad they released those since the show isn't on TV anywhere, so now I have the whole series. I'm also glad they released the first season of the "Muppet Show" although there were cuts on that one. It's still better than nothing. Also, I hear that season two is uncut. I think Disney worked out some sort of deal to get rights to use the songs they want to use. So they could do the same with Muppet Babies, though it might get kind of costly. I don't know. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

solidfisher101

[10]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 7

They should just release it already. Here in Canadathey don't show reruns so I can't see it anymore.Come onDisney just spend 2% of your profits for the copyrighting so we can get it on DVD.

pokinsmot

[11]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    not a very ethical solution, but you can get bootlegs... theyre even advertised on this site... when you search for Muppet Babies from the main page here, look at the ads in between the search results...

pokinsmot

[12]Oct 29, 2007
    pokinsmot wrote:
    not a very ethical solution, but you can get bootlegs... theyre even advertised on this site... when you search for Muppet Babies from the main page here, look at the ads in between the search results...

ok, so the link that pops up here doesnt work anymore but if you google "Muppet babies dvd" a whole bunch o stuff comes up... heres a few:
    http://www.dvdavenue.tv/movie/cartoon/The_Best_Of_The_Muppet_Babies.html
    http://auctions.overstock.com/Muppet-Babies-Brand-New-Collection-on-DVD/DVDs-Movies/item/43107055
    http://www.dvdcraze.tv/movies/cartoon/The_Best_Of_The_Muppet_Babies.html
    http://www.freewebs.com/cartoonsondvd/cartoonsiz.htm
    http://www.worldincatalog.com/item/?id=1779
    OR you can go to http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=mbfan07 and use http://keepvid.com/ to download them...

PPG-Katelyn

[13]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 16
    I think they CAN release it on boxsets! They just haven't yet because they are busy releasing 'The Muppet Show' 'Fraggle Rock' and other Jim Henson shows on boxsets at the moment. I know they can release it on boxsets because on the first 'Darkwing Duck' boxset, it has an episode that copies 'Spider-Man' which was only aired on TV once due to the copywritten story. If they can release that banned episode on DVD then they can release 'Muppet Babies' on DVD even though they had some copywritten stuff on there. They just need to ask the other companies' permissions first.

WWinnieF

[14]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 20
    PPG-Katelyn wrote:
    I think they CAN release it on boxsets! They just haven't yet because they are busy releasing 'The Muppet Show' 'Fraggle Rock' and other Jim Henson shows on boxsets at the moment. I know they can release it on boxsets because on the first 'Darkwing Duck' boxset, it has an episode that copies 'Spider-Man' which was only aired on TV once due to the copywritten story. If they can release that banned episode on DVD then they can release 'Muppet Babies' on DVD even though they had some copywritten stuff on there. They just need to ask the other companies' permissions first.
    But you see, this was all before Disney bought The Classic Muppet characters. Disney doesn't want to shell out the money required to get around copyright (i.e. paying Lucas for the Star Wars & Indiana Jones clips, paying Shultz estate for the Peanuts spoof, paying Sesame Workshop for the Sesame Street homage, paying Paul Ruebens for the Pee Wee Herman parody, paying the people who own the Hanna-Barbera library for the nod to The Jetsons, paying the DiC for references towards Inspector Gadget & The Real Ghostbusters, paying Universal--one of its competitors--for the Back to the Future reference, and paying Marvel Comics the large sum of cash the comic company would want as sponsor of the series [hence why Spiderman himself made a cameo in an episode]).
    Edited on 11/21/2008 2:12pm

Gamekirby

[15]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 41

I would just order it on the internet. But DON't buy it at www.ioffer.com. When I bought a "DVD Set" it was pre-recorded copies from the old TV show.

Animaniacs1990

[16]Mar 20, 2009

I hate f*cking copyrights. It's these type of things that prevent awesome shows like this from ever getting released on DVD.

Muppet Babies was the first saturday morning cartoon I've ever watched which was during the fall of 1990. I wasn't even a year old, and I was already watching Saturday Morning cartoons, let alone recording them.

SillySophie

[17]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    I have two of the old VHS tapes. One has the Be My Valentine episode on it, and the other has The New Adventures of Kermit Polo and Transcontinental Whoo-Whoo. It has been years since I've watched them so I don't know what, if any, movie clips or music are in the episodes. I do wish Muppet Babies was available on DVD or at least in TV reruns because it was a very smart cartoon. In my mind it represents what Saturday morning TV used to be about.

WWinnieF

[18]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    Well, at least the show is available somewhere, even if it's just pre-recorded.