Muppets Tonight

ABC (ended 1998)

Muppets Tonight Fan Reviews (16)

• Another verion of the Muppet show.

this was an attempt to revive the Muppett show. It was a good idea, but they just couldn't seem to get it right this time.

A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mind watching too much. A great show that was for kids and adults alike. You had the muppets for the kids but much of the humor was geared towards the adults so that they didn't mind watching too much. Great character like Miss Piggy, the whole Pigs In Space Thing and the crazy scientist dudes. Many great voices that were of course the actual stars of the show
  • The Muppets revamped for the 1990s.

This show is basically a more modern version of the original Muppet Show with the same basic premise: a celebrity guest host comes on the show, there are skits with and without the guest, guest interacts behind the scenes, lots of jokes and wackiness, etc, etc. A few changes to bring it into a more modern era exist. Most notably is Clifford the cool baboon as the main host on a late-night style talk show/variety show, while Kermit is a bit more behind the scenes (although he is still a main character). Some of the classic sketches are revamped, such as Pigs in Space, the Next Generation. Some new characters are introduced, with Pepe the Prawn likely being the most famous. I remember reading a movie review on Muppets From Space where the critic said: "Even when they are bad, Muppets are good", and I have to admit that this is accurate. My only beef with this show is that it seems to lack much of the magic that was in the original Muppet Show. Do not get me wrong, this is still very entertaining. I have just felt that since the passing of Jim Henson, the Muppets are not quite the same. It is completely logical for this to be the case, because I canot think of many examples where once the primary creative force behind the franchise is gone is the franchise the same. If you are expecting exactly the same thing as the Muppet Show, Mupets Tonight will disappoint. If you are looking for a Muppets fix, this is the show to watch.
  • Never saw the show.

Well i never really saw or heard of the Muppets Tonight just the classic Muppets Show but this one looked like it would of been a hit! And i dont know why they cancelled this show because from the looks of the show ratings on tv.com it would seem that people liked this show. I was looking at the episodes and i saw one that said Martin Short was the special guest and just seeing that would of made me watch this show cause that dude is hilarious! I don't know what to rate this show or really what to classify it as but i'll do it based on the show ratings.
  • Seasame Street for grown-ups.

This is truly a great show. I enjoy watching it over and over and over again. I can watch the same episode 2 or 3 times in a row just so I can catch things that I might have missed. I think I have all of the episodes recorded and I watch them whenever there is nothing good on TV. It is always entertaining to me. I will also have my friends and family watch the episodes with me and try and get them hooked. So far everyone has because it is that good of a show. Look for it on the air or come over to my house and watch my DVD's.
  • Listing Error

The episode list is in air date order, however the list I got from Henson\'s old website was as follows:

Muppets Tonight

Shatner
    I 111 Heather Locklear

I 112 Jason Alexander Vendela

I 113 Pierce Brosnan

II 201 A. Hall, Little Richard, K.
    Ireland, C. Darden, J. Leno,

II 208 Daryl Hannah, Page Hannah,
    Johnny Mathis

II 209 Best of Muppets
    Tonight
  • The Muppets for the new generation!

Because I was too young to be there for the first time round of The Muppet Show, by the time I started watching it, too me it seemed dated.
    Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but either the guests were either faded stars of yesterday or the jokes were too old for my taste.

With the comming of Muppets Tonight, I was relieved to find that the Henson Studios humour hadn't suffered under Disney's reign. Characters like Pepe, Andy and Randy Pig and of course Rizzo the Rat (who reminded me of Chaci from happy days), made me crack up beyond relieve (which would ultimately mean my pants).

Please people, either release it on DVD or bring us some new shows!
    C.
  • Oh gosh I loved this show!

I remember every Sunday night I would tune into it and it was so funny! You could never get bored with it cuz every episode, there was a new celebrity. And there would also be segments where they would talk to regulars like Jay Leno. That was my kind-of days.
  • The muppets! anything with the muppets is funny.

My gawd, i remember this show.

I would always watch it. One of my favorites, it would be nice if they still ran it though.

Are they still running it? ~shrugs~ eh, dunno.

I remember miss. piggy, Kermit, that blue dude with the big nose, ah brings back good ole memories..

I even go to the 3d show in disney world i think it is, and its still funny everytime.
  • There go the Muppets Tonight!!!

I at first had never EVER heard of the muppets (excluding the Sesame Street muppets) and was shocked when I saw there were others; this lead me to watching the Muppet Show, Little Muppet Monsters, and all the other Jim Henson Productions. But none of them ever quite compared to Muppets Tonight. It is far from the best series the muppets have, but with a new host, muppets, and cast of voices, it has proven that the Henson Company can pull through hard times. IT is a shame the show is not aired anymore especially since it only had two seasons. Clifford the new host, has done an interesting job as host. Kevin Clash certainly has what it takes to get people to like his characters. Steve Whitmire, how could anyone forget, has done a FABULOUS job as Kermit the Frog. And it's nice to see Frank's characters slowly die down a LITTLE bit. It is not the same without Scooter, the talkative Electric Mayhem, Rowlf, etc. But let's hope jim Henson and Richard Hunt are looking down at us and saying "GOOD JOB!"
  • The Muppets Tonight was a good show with new muppet characters and new skits. Still, I would of liked Kermit as the host or Robin.

What's the Muppet Show without Kermit as the host? I liked how they mixed the old Muppet Show with Muppets Tonight. Having Waldorf & Statler sitting infront of a TV watching Muppets Tonight with their one liners is classic muppets. I would of liked to see Robin in Muppets Tonight following in the steps of his Uncle Kermit & I still think the muppet show isn't the same without Kermit as the host. Robin should of been the host.
  • i love kermit, he was a hero to my cousin..RIP tanner

i just wanted to say that my cousin tanner was ten years old when h passed away, from heart problems he was a verrry huge fan of kermit, he had lots of his stuffed animals, all his movies and he even had one of kermits songs at his funeral..kermit was very dear to tanner, and i just wanna thank him, and the creator so much for giving my little angel tanner soemone to look up to..he didnt make it past ten years, but hes up in heaven away form the pain and suffering, and thats all that matters...he was buried with some of his hand puppets(he loved putting on shows) and one of them happened to be kermit, so who knows, he could be up there putting his shows on to all the little kids!
  • this show was great, I thought it was the muppet show at first, this was good but not as godo as the muppet show.

I loved this show the muppets were cool, and they always had really big name guests, it was amazing because you wouldn't think big stars and especially in that amount of quanity would really do a show like that. I really liked the guys in the balcony they were my favorite muppets, along with fozzy, and of course Kermit. I liked all of them really, and the cartoon that they made later was pretty good too, I liked it as a kid. Muppets are something most kids grew up with and enjoyed watching, but it was also something the whole family could watch, there aren't many shows, if any, like that today.
  • Unbelievably funny

Whenever the Muppets are involved in anything, you are guaranteed a barrel of laughs. And Muppets Tonight has a lot of it. This show is basically a remake of the classic Muppet Show. Every night, there is always a new celebrity guest on the show which makes it even more exciting. So many Muppets, no way I can't call a precise favorite.

Wish it was never cancelled in the first place. However, good things must come to an end. R.I.P Jim Henson. You've done us proud.
  • One of the best all-ages show ever. Another sad example of how executives have no connection whatsoever with the audience. (See Family Guy for a more recent example)

Overall, funnier than the original Muppet Show, at least not as uneven. Every episode is pretty much rock-solid. Wonderful and all age-friendly guest stars. The character of Bobo the Bear is one of the all-time wonders of comedy, getting by far the most laughs in our extended family. I agree that the lines written for adults are hilarious (David Letterman as a goat?), but always seems to work with kids as well, even if it\'s over their heads sometimes. The new Pigs in Space segment (Remember Pig hospital?) was great, and the only thing that made it to dvd in the format of a movie, Muppets in Space. Unfortunately that movie was nothing like the show segment, and bombed with every right. Thoroughly unfunny.
    It\'s also great to see Martin Short as Ed Grimley again, I must say (Thank god SCTV is now available on dvd).

That this is not available on DVD is not only stupid, but bad business. I\'m convinced it would sell as hotcakes.
    Let\'s hope it takes the route of Family Guy, selling enough dvd\'s to make it return on-air.
    And I sincerely hope that the executive who cancelled this is fired for gross incompetence. I can\'t think of a show more undeserving of such a fate since Star Trek went out in \'69.
  • the old days

I love the muppets I used to watch it when I wa slittle its such a shame that the only time I can watch it is at Mid night. How small childrem are going to watch that I don't know?
    Another thing I haev noticed on watching The Muppets now that I ahve noticed I have noticed that some of the jokes have punch lines that only Adults could get. Naughty Naughty. haha
  • I can't believe it's gone! Neither can i believe it's not on dvd.. yet! Muppets & not Muppets Tonight!! come on Disney, get with the program. Muppets have always had a loyal following. This was the only show that entertained all ages with clean family hu

I grew up on Muppets & Sesame Street. When the muppets came on 'back-n-the-day' we never missed an episode. We'd go to school talking about all the characters & skits.. IN HIGH SCHOOL, when we were supposed to be too old & cool to be into that kind of stuff. Nothings changed! When a muppet movie comes out, the whole family can't wait to see it [myself 37, my wife 42, my son 15 & my daughter 14]. we're all supposed to be too old to be entertained by this stuff, but we just crack up all the way through those movies. I think it's the writting directed at the adults that's the funniest. I don't understand why Muppets Tonight was cancelled, even more.. i don't understand why it's not out on dvd. I guess knuckleheaded ad-exec's take a little longer to catch up to the rest of us.. look how long it took for them to release the Muppets Show on dvd.. 20-years!