Murder, She Wrote

J.B.. As In Jailbird

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 23, 1988 on CBS

• This is more a Michael Haggarty adventure, but who cares? It's entertaining!

This marks the return of Michael Haggarty played by Len Cariou. Cariou and Angela Lansbury, of course, starred in the original Broadway production of "Sweeney Todd" and have great chemistry together. This episode focuses a lot more on Haggarty's espionage (even introducing his boss, played by John Rhys-Davies) and leaves Jessica to languish in jail for the bulk of the episode. I understand why - Angela Lansbury has said that she wanted some episodes built around "Supporting detectives" after the workload of the first four seasons wore on her. My only complaint with this episode is that the killer's identity is quickly explained and not all that much of a mystery when Jessica figures it out. Still, a solid start to Season 5. I get a kick out of the slight variation on the "James Bond" theme whenever Haggarty is about to spring into action, and it's funny watching Grady Fletcher be drawn into the world of international spies. Plus, any show with John Rhys-Davies (Sallah, Prof. Arturo!) is A-OK by me.