Murderland

Carrie's Story

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2009 on ITV

• Carrie Walsh cannot escape the memory of her mother's murder and runs away just moments before her wedding in order to go back to the scene of the crime and try and find out the identity of the killer.

Carol Walsh is a woman about to have her dream wedding to her dream man but in spite of everything being close to perfect, she is haunted by the fifteen-year-old murder of her mother, Sally, a receptionist/prostitute at a sleazy club called 'Cleo's'. Running away just moments before her wedding ceremony, Carol returns to the place she grew up and looks up the lead detective on the case, DI Hain (Robbie Coltrane). Although Hain, now retired, is at first reluctant to help, Carol keeps the pressure on and we flashback to the day of the murder where we find that Sally had a 'friend' hiddden upstairs whilst having a conversation with her daughter about her favourite flowers and a possible holiday in Florida.

We see events through the eyes of young Carrie as well as those of DI Hain. The appointed child psychiatrist (Sharon Small) is concerned that the child has become too obsessed with the crime and with the detective as well while Hain seems just as determined to catch the killer as the victim's daughter is.

Good to see Robbie Coltrane on television again in thi classy crime drama. The only fault for me was the constant repition of scenes and conversations throughout the three episodes, sometimes three or four times, apart from that, it was great and certainly worth a look for anyone who enjoys a highly complicated mystery.