Murdoch Mysteries Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on CBCIn Season

End of series

springflower46

[1]May 10, 2011
    • level: 2

I have just watched the last episode of the 4th series of Murdoch. The end of this series was the most AWFUL and DEPRESSING that I have ever seen! Please don't get hooked on this program if you like really good endings. I can only say that the person who wrote this was or is an idiot and ended this in the mostidiotic and stupidway. I wish I had NEVER watched this!! What a WASTE OF TIME!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Amazonmothe

[2]May 11, 2011
    • level: 1

Series 4 in general looked as if the air had been let out of it. Unoriginal scripts and lacklustre acting. They all seemed to have had enough. The only thing that would have made the final episode look even worse would be to make a series 5 and have it all have been a drugged induced dream of Murdoch. Sad, disrespectful to loyal fans and a perfect example of going on too long.

rondetto

[3]May 11, 2011
    • level: 3

I must disagree with comments above. I've really enjoyed series 4 and look forward to another series. It did however, surprise me that

they wrote Murdoch allowing that woman to escape, that is not in his nature. Also, to jeopardise his career is not like him either.

But, I guess that's like a cliffhanger for a new series. It's been excellent.

seywen

[5]May 11, 2011

(SPOILER ALERT)

-

-

Actually, I'd say that allowing the woman to escape was an important piece of character development,remember the discussion between the definition of "a servant of the law" as opposed to "an agent of justice". The finale was meant to mirror the first episode of the season where his predecessor sacrificed himself and lost the woman he loved to bring justice to a woman who was beaten and raped. Both cases had its origin in the detective's early days, both haunted them and in both, the criminal escaped the law. I'd say that this is good writing. A fairy tale finale would have been too similar to the hot air ballon one from the second season. Though I will say that the last episode had one too many coincidences that made Murdoch's framing possible.

Missybea

[6]May 11, 2011
    • level: 47

I too have found Series 4 pretty dire. Some episodes I've loved, the majority I could take or leave. The ending...truly depressing and frustrating.

It has really annoyed me that the writer's have chosen to push a 'romance' between William and Julia, only to have it come to absolutely nothing. I too feel like I've wasted my time. I'm not even interested in finding out how they plan to get out of things, if there is another season. Of course William will somehow get his job back. Any more 'hints' on a William and Julia relationship would be ludicrous; she's now a married woman, she thinks he has no feelings for her and she said she wouldn't mention it again. Neither of them, knowing their loyal and moralistic natures, would let anything happen.

They kept their relationship going this season, knowing how they would end it. Why? What on earth was the point? In many ways, I hope it ended that way because Helene Joy wants to leave; this was the 'easiest' way to write her out. However, the show wouldn't be the same for me without her, so I wouldn't watch it then either!

If she does continue in the show then it seems to me the writers realised that in keeping us going, thinking they could get back together, would ensure people would continue to watch. It's as if they thought, put a William and Julia story arc in , even though we have no intention what so ever of having the ending the W/J fans want, and people will come back each week, regardless. I did. Now I'm hacked off with them. And annoyed at myself for falling for it! I certainly won't be falling for it in another season!

Jumped the Shark much? I think so...

Shame, I loved this show! Think I will create my own 'Wonderland' and stick with watching the first 3 seasons, and leave it there!

Edited on 05/12/2011 2:08pm

JohnnyRode

[7]May 12, 2011
    To the post above. That Julia gets married isn't necessary the end of the love romance ... They are writers and tragic things happens. Darcy could have an accident, and things would be back. Julia leaving and then coming back to her old job is an example of that same story twists.

But as much as I did like the interest between them, I more so loved the detective Murdoch, the crime solver and brilliant thinker. I wanna see more of this show, hoping so much for another season.

Missybea

[8]May 12, 2011
    • level: 47

Hi JonnyRode,

don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the 'will they won't they' scenario but ANOTHER season of it would be dragging it out way too long. It will be a case of been there, done that. Meanwhile, those fans who don't watch for the W/J relationship will be annoyed. They did that back in season 2, and 'resolved' it. They created an additional twist in season 3 to separate them, again. They then spent series 4 mooning over each other for it all to come to nowt.

I adore season 2, when it was a 'will they get together?' scenario. I also love season 3, when they were together. Them being a couple enabled the writers to focus on the very things you like about the crime show, and made all us William and Julia fans happy! Result! Them being apart for longer in another season, if the ultimate plan is to reunite them, would simply detract from the 'crime' element even more, surely? And for me, it would be too frustating to have to sit through all the 'will they /won't they' again! On the other hand, if that's it and they are not to be reunited, and there is no indication of their past, well, I'm just hacked off! That's why I'm so disappointed in the end this season; everyone loses!

Getting them together this season would have made far more people happy; the W/J fans and those who aren't interested in it!

Edited on 05/27/2011 12:30pm

seywen

[9]May 12, 2011

D'arcy seems too "polite" to be true in my opinion.

I suspect that rather than continuing on with the W-J tension, the next season might focus more on the deterioration of Julia and D'arcy's relationship and Murdoch's redemption in the force(or the like). The newlywed couple never really seemed to have much chemistry(on-screen at least) and since her husband now knows that she witheld from him the fact that she was in a relationship with William, I doubt everything will be picture perfect. Of course the crime element might be even more supressed as a result if this were to happen-though it'd be an interesting change of pace.

Perhaps we'll see more episodes of Murdoch's past-another episode with his sister seems fitting.

A new season would definitely stray from the usual formula

mags1951

[10]May 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Is there going to be a series 5 or not?

AaronOdd

[11]May 20, 2011

Murdoch should get married, have a child, with mom dying from either the birth or some disease that killed back in that time period. Then he would be a widower His wife could be like David Copperfield's (Dickens) first wife--and he loves her for all the qualities that he lacks--lightness of spirit, childlike wonder, and strong passion that opens him up. Murdoch and Julia are both too"in their heads" and don't allow themselves passion. A first marriage to someone very unlike him makes more sense in the long term for thisshow. As a grieving widower, he can have a deep friendship with Julia, whether she is married or not, but it would take time for him to be ready for another marriage. Then later they can, as older and wiser human beings whose lives have taken such twists and turns, come to appreciate each other and be ready for a mature relationship.

rondetto

[12]Jul 17, 2011

There's no news of a series 5 as yet. I do hope there is one though.

Peggy_Porcupine

[13]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 13

Isn't that what writers do - leave you hanging at the end of a season? Well, they did a good job this time. So, hang in there. Things will unfold in Season 5!

~ Peggy Bendell aka Peggy from Porcupine

Wizherd

[14]Oct 1, 2011

"End of Series"...?...NOT!...Smile

The series is listed as a "Returning Series" on this site and any other you consult. But to be fair, the announcements did come 3 weeks after this thread was started...so here's the details current to the time of posting;

"The fifth season of Murdoch Mysteries was announced at the CityTV 'Summer In The Square' on May 31, 2011. Part of the festivities of the day included a Victorian era costume competition with the winner getting a role in an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. On June 23, 2011 it was announced that Maureen Jennings, creator of the Detective Murdoch series of novels, will be writing one of the new season's episodes." - Wikipedia

Happy days! This is one of the few programs left on television worth watching.

Slash_out

[15]Oct 12, 2011
    • level: 5
    @Wizherd It seems almost all the people in the murdoch mysteries forum are confusing season and series.
    The topic should be "End of season".

welnoc

[16]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 9

Actually, the airing of the 5th series may be in jeopardy as the franchise was bought by the CBC. They might just proceed from the end of series 4.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Shows/M/Murdoch_Mysteries/2011/11/15/18973456.html

Sorry, the "insert link" icon is grayed out.

pdhiii

[17]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 8

Way to incite nonsense... The jeopardy of the show is not increased but diminished with the change of broadcasters. CBC didn't exactly buy the show itself. Shaftesbury will still be making the show. Rogers is done after season 5 and a funding producer and broadcaster. If you watch teh end credits you will find that for season 6 the Rogers logo won't be there. They are also close to finishing the fifth season and it will be on in the UK in a few months. Those episodes will be on in Canada likely in the summer. Production on season 6 is to start in April so that it can be ready for CBC in September 2012. The show is getting a MAJOR UPGRADE in broadcaster, in terms of channel availability, scheduling, and general broadcaster's interest in the show. Murdoch Mysteries was never something Rogers really wanted. When Rogers bought the Citytv network they got it as one of the shows a previous owner of Citytv had commissioned. That would be why the last two seasons have been held back for the summer even though the rest of the world had DVDs already available- Rogers just never really cared for the show but it allowed them to satisfy their Canadian Content quota. The domestic broadcast of new episodes of the show on Citytv has been horrible. By contrast CBC actually WANTS THE SHOW. The move to CBC is actually a good thing.

welnoc

[18]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 9

pdhiii wrote:

Way to incite nonsense... The jeopardy of the show is not increased but diminished with the change of broadcasters. CBC didn't exactly buy the show itself. Shaftesbury will still be making the show. Rogers is done after season 5 and a funding producer and broadcaster. If you watch teh end credits you will find that for season 6 the Rogers logo won't be there. They are also close to finishing the fifth season and it will be on in the UK in a few months. Those episodes will be on in Canada likely in the summer. Production on season 6 is to start in April so that it can be ready for CBC in September 2012. The show is getting a MAJOR UPGRADE in broadcaster, in terms of channel availability, scheduling, and general broadcaster's interest in the show. Murdoch Mysteries was never something Rogers really wanted. When Rogers bought the Citytv network they got it as one of the shows a previous owner of Citytv had commissioned. That would be why the last two seasons have been held back for the summer even though the rest of the world had DVDs already available- Rogers just never really cared for the show but it allowed them to satisfy their Canadian Content quota. The domestic broadcast of new episodes of the show on Citytv has been horrible. By contrast CBC actually WANTS THE SHOW. The move to CBC is actually a good thing.

Who said it wouldn't be a good thing? Get over yourself why don't you?

elegantfowl

[19]Dec 20, 2011

I suppose Murdoch will get out of his legal/professional jam, though it's hard to see how. Another thing bothers me, though: Julia was quite prepared to walk away from Darcy at the altar if Murdoch would show up in time. Think of what a cruel act that would have been. Just seconds before she made her vow, she was still glancing longingly at the church door. I hope they find some way of making me regain my admiration for her. Golly only knows when I'll find out as there is no indication as to when Season 5 will start here in Canada, nor does the program seem to have a regular time slot.

Peggy_Porcupine

[20]Jul 25, 2012
    • level: 13

Yes, I think they used the wrong word - series. I think what they meant was SEASON.

But what has me confused is on the Episode Guide it says "Season 4 (16)" meaning 16 episodes - and yet they only list 13 (and 3 repeats)

Who is monitoring this show? They should clean up some of those errors, please