Murphy Brown

CBS (ended 1998)

Catwoman87531

Murphy Brown Fan Reviews (27)

• Still my favorite sitcom

I watched Murphy Brown for the first time when I was about 10 - 12 years old. Back then I couldn't grasp even half of the jokes in the show but nevertheless it fascinated me. The characters were extremely well written and had wonferful interaction between each other. It was a pleasure to watch them fighting, laughing, or whatever they were doing. The reason is that all of them had many flaws and all of them were more or less self-centric (of course, Murphy's ego was huger than anyone else's). Certainly, the formula wouldn't have worked without the brilliant ensemble cast which (in my opinion) was the basis of the show's success and the superb writing. Later, when I was older, I came to appreciate the other wonderful aspect of Murphy Brown as well - the satire. The ability of the writers to balance the funny and the serious has always impressed me. Some people find the show preachy but I strongly disagree.
    The only season I found weak is season 9. But the 10th was great and the show returned to its origins with it. It was a perfect way to say goodbye.