Murphy Brown

Waiting to Inhale

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 05, 1997 on CBS

• This is one of my all time favorite episodes of Murphy Brown. It cracked me up, from the beginning of the episode to the end of it. There wasn't a dull moment in it either.

In this episode, Jim tries to get Murphy some marijuna, in order to help her cope with the pain due to her cancer. In the chaos that ensues -- Jim goes to a drug dealer to get her the pot, and he asks him what his name was.

Jim told him that it was Stone Phillips (I laughed my butt off when I heard that for the first time and I still laughed when I saw it again). In the end, he was able to get Murphy the pot that she needed to help cope with the pain, and they both smoked some together. Kind of funny in a way, considering how up tight a person Jim was, that he would have ever smoked any himself.

I just loved how this episode went -- it was funny as all get out, well-written and full of class as well. Controversial it may have been, it's a classic now, and it showed just how far the show would go in order to cross new boundries, while still maintaining its dignity.

I hope that a whole new generation starts to watch this show, it's well worth the trip in the long run.

Bravo, Murphy Brown, Bravo!! Thanks for crossing so many boundries, with such bravado and class!