Murphy's Law Forums

BBC (ended 2007)

How good is this show?

PKtechGirl

[1]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 12

I saw Jekyll and James Nasbitt was so amazing in it and I just totally fell in love with

him and want to see more of his stuff. So now I'm kind of wondering if Murphy's Law is any good

because the only channel that airs it in Sweden is this crappy viasat crime channel that nobody watches.

Is it worth to make an effort to see the show from the beginning or can you just start in the middle,

sins they are at season 3 now?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shana868

[2]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 40

You can definitely start in the middle - it's a crime show and each episode has Murphy going undercover to catch a different criminal. It means that it's pretty easy to watch random episodes if you so choose. However, I would warn you that IMO the earlier episodes are a lot better. It started slightly lighter and more entertaining, the show has got darker and the writters a little too pretensious.

SPOILER: (Highlight below to read)

Also, there was another character in the early seasons, a female detective who had a lot of sexual tension with Murphy. Since her death the program has gone a lot darker, a lot more depressing and a little less interesting

IMO The early seasons do also explain more about Murphy's past, but that's pretty straightforward. And yes, if you like Nesbitt you'll like this show. A typical crime show but with the Nesbitt charm and humour.

Edited on 09/28/2007 11:05am

PKtechGirl

[3]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    Shana868 wrote:

You can definitely start in the middle - it's a crime show and each episode has Murphy going undercover to catch a different criminal. It means that it's pretty easy to watch random episodes if you so choose. However, I would warn you that IMO the earlier episodes are a lot better. It started slightly lighter and more entertaining, the show has got darker and the writters a little too pretensious.

SPOILER: (Highlight below to read)

Also, there was another character in the early seasons, a female detective who had a lot of sexual tension with Murphy. Since her death the program has gone a lot darker, a lot more depressing and a little less interesting

IMO The early seasons do also explain more about Murphy's past, but that's pretty straightforward. And yes, if you like Nesbitt you'll like this show. A typical crime show but with the Nesbitt charm and humour.

Well I didn't have much choice. Swedish TV is crap sometimes. I've only seen season 3 and 4 and those were pretty dark

and I don't have anything to compare to. I'm hoping the TV channel is gonna show it from the beginning again.

I like the show because it is dark and cold and raw. That made me love it. That and James Nesbitt.

Shana868

[4]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 40
    Season 5 is absolutely fantastic. Best three hours of television I've watched all year. Try to see it if you can

shawnlunn2002

[5]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 41
    It's pretty good but got darker in later seasons. Better than most ITV cop nowadays.

AHerring

[6]May 1, 2008
    • level: 2
    This is one of my favorite shows ever. Someone else on this thread says why -- dark, raw... I think you can watch from the middle but should you? No. Go to Amazon UK and buy all the DVDs. Watch from the beginning -- this isn't an ordinary cop show. Murphy's character is rich and black and tragic.

lynna12000

[7]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 21
    This is one of the best series on the air. It has humour, good acting, and good stories. I haven't seen a bad episode yet.

Remy757Photog

[9]Jul 2, 2009
    • level: 6

I too love this show and have been following it since the first episode. James Nesbitt is fantastic, and I do feel you will appreciate the show best watching from beginning to end. Must you watch episodes in order? Sort of, I feel you do yourself a disservice by starting in the middle, as Murphy goes through certain events that shape who he is and how he acts as each season progresses. I've been hearing its on DVD now, so that'll be the best option. I personally download each episode as it airs.

They still have the show listed as Returning Series and being that the DVD's are for sale now, which usually happens when a show is debuting another season, I'll be keeping my eyes open for new episodes. Jekyll is also a great mini-series worth checking out.